No announcement yet.

Wanting to move in with my grandparents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wanting to move in with my grandparents

    Im 16 going on 17 in 8 months me and my mom dont get along and she is constantly moving me schools because her and her boyfriend want to fight and get back together. At this point i do not know what to do. My grandparents said i am more then welcome to stay and be under there care. If i run away to my grandparents house would they get in trouble for keeping me there it is very safe at my grandparents house. Would the police be able to help me stay with my grandparents. Yes

  • #2
    Hi there,

    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    Be safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif