Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away at 17

My 18th birthday is in 6 days and i need to leave my home asap. My family is abusive. I plan to runaway to live with my dad. If the cops find me when im 18 can i get in trouble.

Hi there, thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been experiencing a very difficult situation at home. We aren't legal experts and its is unclear what state you are from, but in most, the age of majority is 18. Once you turn 18 you are considered a legal adult and would not be under the responsibility of your parent. Therefore, police would not be able to force you back home and wouldn't get in trouble unless a crime was committed while running away before 18. If you need any safe places to consider going to in your area, we can look up place in your area. You can also utilize homelesshelterdirectory.org, 211, or agrm.org to access local resources for safe places.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X