No announcement yet.

How can I become emancipated?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
    Super Moderator

  • ccsmod0
    It sounds like living at home with your family has been difficult for you and you are now looking for way to be able to move out before the age of majority. It is great that you are looking for safe options for leaving home. It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you are being mistreated.
    First off we want to say that abuse whether its physical, sexual, emotional or verbal, it is never okay and you do not deserve it and do have the right to report it. We want you to know that you do have the right to make a report with Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. That number is 1-800-422-4453. If you ever felt like making a report or needed help, we are here to assist with that. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support.
    You mentioned that you have been looking into getting emancipated, while we have to remind you that we are not legal experts but to our knowledge laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. The best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    We know that you might feel like you are alone and no one understands where you’re coming from but we want you to know that you are not there is help and hope out there for you. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,

    Leave a comment:

  • Guest

  • Guest
    Guest started a topic How can I become emancipated?

    How can I become emancipated?

    I am 16, I turn 17 in a few months. I live in a emotionally and mentally abusive home from both parents. My mom has hit me in the past, which my sister and her bf have witnessed. I want to get out of this house, I have a job. I work 30-40 hours a week, I also attend online school. Although they are like this, they wouldn't ever sign the form because they believe that is me "getting my way". I am constantly yelled at, especially by my mom. I can say without a doubt that I hate them. There is no part of me that loves them anymore, not after what they've put me through. They force me into Christianity and if I go against it.. I am a disappointment. If I stay here any longer, I might actually go through with killing myself.. if that's my only escape. Can I still get emancipated without their consent? If so, how?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif