No announcement yet.

Taxes for runaway teen?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Taxes for runaway teen?

    Hello. I want to help my friend live with me to get him out of an EXTREMELY physical and emotionally abusive situation, not to mention neglectful. CPS has failed him time and time again. He’ll be 17 when he runs away. If he’d like to get a job, how would he file taxes? If he uses his social security number and he is filed as a runaway, wouldn’t they come after him?

  • #2
    Reply: Taxes for runaway teen?

    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

    We are sorry to hear about your friend being in an abusive situation. He does not deserve to be abused and none of what has happened to him is his fault. You are a wonderful friend to want to help him as it sounds like it is a most difficult time for him. We are not legal experts so is difficult to say what might happen by him filing taxes. He might consider checking the income tax laws in his state to see how much income per year is considered taxable income or what is considered the minimum income that does not require filing income tax?
    We also are not aware if his social security number would be tracked by law enforcement.
    If you would like to explore more information on this subject you might consider searching for a legal aid resource online. You may be able to get these questions answered.
    He might also consider checking the state law as to the legal age he can move out of his parent or guardian’s home. To do this contact the non-emergency number to your local police department between 9am to 5pm.

    If your friend would like to contact NRS have him call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or (Live chat).
    If he is at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage that he reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

    Take care,

    We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp