No announcement yet.

Confusing Situation

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Confusing Situation

    I turn 16 in 8 days. I had cps involved with my home a few years ago but no positive results cam from that. I wanted to stick it out with my family, suck it up and let them pay for my private school tuition. Until my mom hit me drunk about 2 weeks ago. She has been continuously working anf is rarley around. Today my father brought paint thinner and acetone into the bathroom. upon going in there later in smelled distinctly of weed and burnt q-tips were in the trash. I am not entirely sure what he was doing but he wasn't painting and he certianly wasn't doing his nails. I spent the entire day cleaning the house for christmas dinner because no one else is going to and we have people coming over. I had to clean up my dads strange drug mess and I am kind of checked out. I don't know what to do and I'm not entirely sure what I'm able to do. My parents pay for alot of my schooling and extra circulars which are quite pricey and I'm afraid of losing that if I attempt to get emancipated. However, I can't say that I can continue to manage my depression living in the enviroment I currently live in. Is it possible for me to move in with a friends family? Or a grandparent? Can my parents force me to stay here even once I'm 16? And are there any good options?

  • #2
    Hi, thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

    It sounds like you’re going through a very stressful situation at home. It’s understandable why you would want to go live elsewhere if you feel your environment is making you depressed. It is possible that you can go live with a grandparent or a family friend if you are able to get the permission from your parents. You may be able to explain to them that you are unhappy at home and think that you could benefit from moving away for a little while. If you need help on wording this or communicating this with your parents please feel free to give us a call. However, if you decide to leave without parental consent it may be helpful to consider that you are still considered a minor at 16. Therefore, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are found you may be required to go back home. The National Alliance on Mental Illness may have some helpful tips on how to cope with your depression and you can give them a call at 1800-950-6264 or text NAMI to 741741. If you’d like to discuss your situation further with us please give us a call at 1800-runaway or come chat with us at We wish you the very best.

    Take care,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp