No announcement yet.

CPS Legal Actions

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CPS Legal Actions

    Recently I spoke up during a check up at the doctor saying I didn’t feel safe at home. I was at the hospital staying there awhile until CPS could investigate and make a decision about what to do. I confessed that my mother did abuse me long term. My father died at a young age so I don’t have another source of family around me besides my siblings and my mom and dads extended family in New York. I live in Texas. A few days after the confession and the investigation I was still in the hospital and a CPS worker came into the room I was staying in with my mom saying that I had a choice to stay in a shelter in Texas and not go to school (which made me question how it was legal for a child not to go to school while being in the arms of the government) or I had to move in with my mom’s family. Even though they said I had a choice I was forced to go to New York. Something that also made me question the CPS worker was why was my mom able to take me to the airport by herself if I confessed she abused me. I have been living in New York for 3 months and haven’t came into contact with my mom. Another thing I am also still questioning is why do I not have any info given from CPS about my CPS worker like a number or anything. No one has checked in on my residential life at all. What I am thinking from these confusions is that the CPS worker made an arrangement with my mom for short term and did not actually take legal action. This has astonished me because I forgot to mention that I am 15, 16 in March and anything could of happened when I was on my way to the airport. I was wondering if my aunt on my dad’s side who I have probably spent more time with her than my mom in my life time can get legal guardianship of me and what are the chances. Where i live right now is really hard to be emotionally stable and is there anyway I can see a therapist payed by the government if they did take any “legal actions.” All I want is to live with any of my dad’s family.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS and sharing your story with us.

    It takes a lot of strength to speak up about abuse and advocate for yourself. We’re sorry to hear CPS has not been frustrating and has not been giving you much information about your case. If you are able to contact your dad’s family, you could reach out to them and see if anyone would be willing to take you in and talk to a case worker. You could call the Texas CPS line at 800-252-5400 to get into contact with the caseworker and ask about your case and the possibility of living somewhere else. Getting emotional support is definitely important. You can contact Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration at 1-877-726-4727 to find a resource near you. If you need someone to talk to in the moment the National Alliance on Mental Illness has a crisis text line you can connect to by texting “connect” to 741741.

    You can always call us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 if you need someone to talk to or want to talk more about your situation.

    Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp