Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 and tired of parents. I want to move out

I am 15 years old. I want to move out of my parents house. They treat me like the ugly step-child. The only thing I'm allowed to do is clean EVERYTHING, cook, and babysit. Nothing else. I want to know if I am able to move out without their consent? I could move in with my boyfriend and his family and still go to school where I attend now. I am an honor roll student most of the time. But I am just over all the stress that my parents put on me. They treat me like a little kid but expect me to act like an adult. So I want to act like an adult and live where I want to live and help support myself. So at 15 years old, am I able to move out without parental consent?

re: 15 and tired of parents. I want to move out

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us. It sounds like you have been going through quite a tough time and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like you experiencing some difficult situations and are looking for a way out. We’re glad that we are a resource that you are able to reach out to in this time of crisis.

We want you to know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to speak about your situation in general terms. In most states, you would still be considered a minor which means that if you were to leave, your parents are allowed to contact the local police department and file a runaway report. If a report is filed and you are found, typically you would be forced to return home. Another factor you may want to keep in mind is that the person allowing you to live with them could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway, the charges for that can vary from fines to jail time. As we mentioned, we are not legal experts here. If you wanted more accurate answers, we would encourage you to reach out to your local police department and ask some general questions. If you wanted to know more information about what you can do, legally, we would encourage you to reach out to us and we will be able to point you in the right direction.

We hope that we were able to help you think a little more about your options and brainstorm some more with you, if you feel like you would still need some more support or go through some more options, please feel free to reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we are here 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I don't want to runaway. I want to move out of my house and my parents not be able to make me move back in. I don't want my boyfriend's family to get in trouble either. I really just want out of this house.

Comment

Re:

Hello there,

It sounds like you’re trying to figure out a way to move in with your boyfriend and his family. We aren’t legal experts; however, we do have basic information on emancipation. Not all states offer emancipation, but it may be an option if it’s offered and you believe you can support yourself. If we know your city/state, we can provide more information and offer resources. Good luck!
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I live in indiana.

Comment

re:

Hey again,

Thanks for replying, as we mentioned, we are not legal experts meaning that we are not able to speak on behalf of the law of either state. The best way to find out what could happen is by reaching out to your local police department. If this is something that may make you nervous, you are able to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we would be able to call out to your local police for you.

We hope to get your call soon,

NRS

Comment

I don't want to call the police department because Clay City is a small town and everyone knows everyone. My family is close to most of the people who work at the PD. I just don't know what to do. There's no abuse happening. I just want to be free to live my life how I want to live it, not how they want me to live it.

Comment

Re:

Hey,

We’re sorry to hear that circumstances at home are making you want to leave. Remember we are here to listen and to help 24/7. We want to let you know that we are not legal experts, so we can only offer a listening ear and resources for you to use. If you do choose to run away and are a minor, your parents may file a runaway report and you could be forced to go back home.

It sounds like you’re not comfortable reaching out to your local police department. Just so you know, If you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or go to our chat at 1800runaway.org, you’ll be able to speak to someone and they could even call your local police department on your behalf for some general information. Remember, we’re confidential, so if we do this for you, the call would not be traced back to you in any way. If you call, we can also give you specific resources in your area.

Thanks for reaching out!
                NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                x
                x
                Working...
                X