Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom is going to kick me out, what happens if I just run away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom is going to kick me out, what happens if I just run away?

(I am 16)
    I heard her specifically say she wants me out of the house and I already have my stuff packed just in case I have to leave at a moments notice but what can she do if I just leave instead and avoid the conflict? my best friend has a stable environment I can move into and her house is very close to the school we go to so it's not like I'll miss school at all. her parents agreed that if I need to that I can come to them. my
    mom threw me out this past Sunday too because I said I don't like her going through my things and she said "then get the f*ck out" so I did. my dad showed up where I went to and told my friends parents that my mom told him she never said anything like that and I simply "stormed out" which isn't true at all. she made me seem like a liar to them.

The point is, if she claims to have never said this and declares me a runaway, what will happen to me an my friends parents? where I live, aiding a runaway is a misdemeanor and her parents aren't exactly flush with cash to pay a fine. I can't prove she said it cause I don't even know who she said it to since it was over the phone.

Re: Mom is going to kick me out, what happens if I just run away?

Hi there-

Thanks so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a very brave person to reach out to us and share their story the way you have. We see that you want to leave home because your mother wants you out of the house and you’re dealing with some conflict with her. It seems like you tried to reach out to your father about what happened but your mother denied everything, making you look like a liar. We’re sorry to hear that you’re dealing with such a complicated situation. We’re not legal experts here, but we can speak generally and hopefully give you some information that might be able to help you out.

It seems that you’re seeking some information on what could happen if you left home, legally speaking. When thinking about running away it is important to consider whether your parents would file a runaway report, which you mentioned your mother might. Though the laws vary by the state you live in as well as other aspects of your situation, in general, leaving home as a minor is not a criminal offense, it’s a status offense. That is, if the police were to come across you for any reason, they would be legally required to return you home. The other aspect of this concerns just what you mentioned; whoever you choose to reside with as a runaway may run the risk of being charged with “harboring a runaway.”

So those are just a few things to consider in your situation. It sounds like you’ve thought hard about what you can do to make a better situation for yourself away from home and that’s really great. It’s also great that you have the support of your friend and her family and that you want to be able to still attend school. Still, there are a few other important things to ask yourself when thinking about running away: Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days? What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation? Who can I depend on if I leave home? Do I have a safe, solid plan? What is my plan b in case my first plan doesn’t work? What have I done to make things better at home? What can I do to make things better at home? Who have I reached out to make things better at home?

We’d like to encourage you to reach out to us here at the NRS so we could learn more about your situation and go over some of these things with you, as well as help you get connected with some helpful resources if need be. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or via chat at 1800runaway.org. Furthermore, if you need help working through a conflict with your parents and could use the support of a teen just like you, TeenLine is a great hotline that provides just that. You call them at 1-310-855-4673 or chat them at teenlineonline.org. We really do wish you good luck in your situation and hope you stay safe.

All the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X