X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod7
    replied
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you and your sister are going through a lot and we are really glad you reached out. From what you shared, you two are close to leaving the abusive home you are currently in and that is a big step and we are going to help you as best we can. If you want to talk further please don’t hesitate to call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.
    We aren’t legal experts, but generally the age of adulthood is 18, meaning your sister would be considered an adult and your parents/guardians would no longer be legally responsible for them and where they live or can file a runaway report. If you feel comfortable, you can reach out to your local police department and ask questions about if they take runaway reports for 18 year old and pursue them to bring the person home. You do not have to share anything like your name or address, etc if you are not comfortable sharing those and if they push you to share those you can hang up. You can also give us a call or chat with us and we can reach out to your local police department and ask any questions you have on your behalf to make sure you know what your local police department’s producers are if you want. We are confidential and here 24/7 for you and your sister.
    We are glad you reached out and it sounds like you and your sister are going through a lot and trying to better your situation. It takes a lot of strength to talk about something like this. We hope to hear from you soon!

Best, NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Leaving at 18 in Alabama

Leaving at 18 in Alabama

Hi,

My sister and I are planning on moving out of our abusive home this December. She is 18 and I am 21 and we live in Alabama. We will be renting a room in someone's house. I just wanted to know the likelihood of my sister being charged as a runaway and the people we will be living with (or me) being charged as harboring a runaway. She will only be 3 months from her 19th birthday.

Thanks
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X