No announcement yet.

17 y/o, seeking legal advice on leaving home in AR

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 y/o, seeking legal advice on leaving home in AR

    My family and I have been at odds for a long time, as I have qualms with not having health insurance, needed healthcare (i.e; optical aid such as contact lenses/glasses, medication for chronic allergies, haven't seen a doctor since I was 15). I'm seeking a way to leave my home and move in with my girlfriend, who already has a home of her own. My home is also a health hazard as it is abundantly infested with spiders of various species, fleas, gnats, flies, and is polluted by animal waste.
    Simply put, living with my mother is a danger to my health and sanity. My situation is made much more complex by my mother, who has gone mad with grief at the loss of my stepfather, and is also an ex employee of the local courthouse and the current police dispatcher of my small town's Sheriff Department. If possible, I wish to avoid court.

    I have an alternative plan to move in with my father, who lives alone after divorcing my mother. His home is fairly clean and, though I don't anticipate that my healthcare will greatly improve, I will have better access to much needed facilities such as the local hospital, stores, and the high school, where I am currently a senior.

    Therefore, I have options. This is my situation. What I would like to know is, is it possible for me to move in with my significant other, or is my father's home the only possible route? Thank you

  • #2
    re: 17 y/o, seeking legal advice on leaving home in AR

    Hey there,

    Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like you are ready to leave your home and start your own life.

    We want you to know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to speak about your situation in general terms. In most states, you would still be considered a minor which means that if you were to leave, your parents are allowed to contact the local police department and file a runaway report. If a report is filed and you are found, typically you would be forced to return home. Another factor you may want to keep in mind is that the person allowing you to live with them could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway, the charges for that can vary from fines to jail time. As we mentioned, we are not legal experts here. If you wanted more accurate answers, we would encourage you to reach out to your local police department and ask some general questions. If you wanted to know more information about what you can do, legally, we would encourage you to reach out to us and we will be able to point you in the right direction.

    We hope that we were able to help you think a little more about your options and brainstorm some more with you, if you feel like you would still need some more support or go through some more options, please feel free to reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we are here 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

    Stay strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif