Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran away to Japan, attend school?

Hi. I'm 15 years old and about three months ago I ran away from home. I ended up in Tokyo, Japan and I'd really like to go and attend school so I can continue my education and eventually go to college. Will I be able to enroll without any parental consent and if they know I'm homeless? I know there's a McKinney Act or something in the states but I'm not sure about other countries. If you have any information that'd be great. Thanks.

RE: Ran away to Japan, attend school?

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us today on our online forum at NRS. You ask a lot of great questions regarding school enrollment. We, unfortunately, are not legal experts here and only know of the McKinney Vento Act in the states. It sounds like you are familiar with the law as well, but laws do vary across states and especially in other countries. Childline is a resource that may be able to connect you with agencies in your local area that can help better as they are located in Japan. They can help with various resources. It can be accessed through the following website http://www.childline.or.jp/childline/english/index.html. We hope this resource helps.

If you would like to talk more about your situation or explore some options, please reach out.

Take care and be safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X