Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help!!

My name is **, I'm currently 17 and will be done with high school mid term, which means I'm graduating in December. And I am engaged to my best friend **, he is 21. Yes it's 3 and a half year difference but I didn't come here to be criticized just need some legal help. He is away at basic training right now for the United States Army, and he has a holiday leave break. So for his break we are wanting to go to Maryland to visit his mother for his break, she has already gotten is gifts and plans of having me there for the holidays. My parents on the other hand, I'm not sure how much they ship my plan, my step dad and I have never had a good relationship and neither have me and my mother. She hates confrintation and avoids it all costs and will do anything my stepdad says without thinking about it. It is very very important for me to go to Maryland this Christmas, but what is going to happen if my stepdad says no and I go anyway. If it were bad enough I wouldn't come home. But if not of course I'll still come. I'll be 18 in March, so not to far away. And I currently live in Utah. Please help me. It's important for me to go.
    Last edited by ccsmod16; 11-29-2015, 06:37 PM. Reason: Name removal

RE: Need help!!

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are here to help you and provide you support in the best way possible.

It sounds like you are really looking forward to being with your fiance over the holiday break. We’re sorry to hear that your relationship with your stepdad and mother is creating a frustrating situation for you. Have you been able to talk to your parents about visiting your fiance in Maryland over the holiday? Perhaps there is a way to make the situation better without running away to Maryland without your parents’ consent.

If you do decide to run away to Maryland without your parents’ consent, there is no guarantee of what could happen. Here at NRS, we are not legal experts but we can provide you with some general information. The age when you’re no longer a minor varies from state to state, so depending on where you live at 17, you can still be considered a minor. After doing some online research, it looks like you are still considered a minor in Utah until you are 18. When you are still considered a minor, then your parents have a legal right to file a runaway report. If a runaway report if filed and you are picked up by the police for whatever reason, there is a chance that you will be returned back home. Also, if you were staying with someone there is a chance that they can be charged with harboring a runaway. Every situation is different, so there are no guarantees with what would happen to you or to your fiance for housing you if you were to run away without your parent’s permission. One option you can consider is calling your local police department in Utah, as well as the local police department in Maryland and asking them general questions to get a better understanding of what would happen should they locate you as a runaway over the holiday. If you’d like, we can also call the police departments for you if you feel uncomfortable doing this yourself.

In any situation, we’re glad that it sounds like you can look toward your fiance as a person who supports you. If you’re interested, we would also like to support you. Please feel free to give us a call any time. We are here 24/7, and you can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Yes please

Do you think you could call and get information for me? I'm sorry my parents are on my back 24/7. That would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Re: Yes please

Hello,

We would be happy to call for you. Is there any way you can call our hotline? We do need more detailed information and for you to call in to be able to make calls out to the police. We would really like to help and we're here 24 hours. Hope to hear from you soon!

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X