No announcement yet.

Leaving my parents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leaving my parents

    I'm 17 (18 in June) and I live in an abusive home. My parents are always drunk and high and things can get really bad at home. There have been several instances where I've been hit by my dad and every night my mother will come into my room drunk and start yelling at me and calling me worthless. I can't be there anymore and I'm thinking of living with my girlfriend who's in university about 20 hours away. I live in Canada, British Columbia and some things I'm a little worried about is if I will be able to finish my schooling without my parents having to sign or consent to anything. And the other thing is what can my parents do when they find out I've run away. They'll also where I've gone to.
    I'm just all out of options.

  • #2
    RE: Leaving my parents

    Hi there,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline! We’re really glad you reached out and we will try to help you in any way we can.
    It sounds like you have been going through a really horrible situation at home and we’re so sorry to hear that. You don’t deserve to be treated like that by your parents; home should be a loving and supportive environment. Nobody, including you, should ever have to put up with abuse in the home. There are a lot of people out there who care about your well-being and want you to be safe.
    It sounds like you have your girlfriend to go to for support and we are really glad to hear that. Does she or anyone else, such as a friend, relative, or a trusted adult at school, know what’s going on at home? It’s important to have a good support system. We know this sounds kind of intimidating, but you have the option of filing an abuse report against your parents. If you do not want to file one yourself, many school personnel are mandated reporters, meaning if you tell them what is going on they will file a report for you. If you are just kind of confused and concerned about how the process works, Child Help is a good resource. They cannot make a report for you, but they can answer your questions about the process and give general support. They can be reached online at or their 24/7 hotline 1-800-422-4453.
    In regards to running away, you’re very smart to think ahead to possible consequences such as not being able to finish school or your parents finding you, as those are both definitely important concerns to have. We are not legal experts here, and unfortunately are not familiar with how running away is dealt with in Canada, however Kids Help Phone looks like it is a helpful resource that would most likely be able to answer your legal questions a little more specifically. Their website is and the number to their 24/7 hotline is 1-800-668-6868.
    Thanks again for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. Again, we are very sorry about the abuse you are experiencing and hope these resources are helpful to you. Feel free to reach out to us again via chat at or our hotline at 1-800-786-2929. Keep your head up, we look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif