Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need to get out now

Im 17 years old and i live in NY, i do not want to go threw the process of emancipation because its going to take too long. I live with my dad and his girlfriend. He has custody of me, my mom lives in westchester. Im a senior in highschool. Unfortunately i dont turn 18 for 10 more months. Me and my dads relationship has deteriorated so much to the point where ive grown such a hatred for him. He supports me financially but abuses me verbally. Over the weekend i slept at my boyfriends house and my dad caught me there. i lied to him about where i was because he is way too strict and refuses to let me do anything on my own without him micromanaging. Iknow that my decision wasnt the best but i made the bed & now i have to lay in it you know. he picked me up from my boyfriends house & brought me home. When we got home he started screaming at me, took my phone & asked me for the password, when i refused to give him my personal information he became physical with me & told me to get out of his house, later that night he said to me "you always tell me the day you turn 18 your leaving, well you dont have to wait you can leave right now" my boyfriends family is patiently waiting to take me in. They are willing to house me as long as i get a job and help out around the house. And go to school everyday, but we go to school together so thats not a problem. my dad is not going to make this easy for me and i feel like he may turn around and go back on his word once im actually gone. I want to leave asap. What should i do?

RE: i need to get out now

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here today at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like there is a lot going on at home right now. You mentioned that your father abuses you verbally and emotionally/ We are sorry that you are being treated this way. You do not deserve to be mistreated by anyone. It seems you have support from your boyfriend's family which is great to hear. It sounds like your father's permission to leave may not have really been serious and you are wondering what you should do. We cannot really say what you should do, but we are definitely here for you to explore your options and come up with a plan that is best for you. We can explore resources and explain some information to you that may be beneficial in your case.

We hope that you reach out by chat or phone soon.

Whatever your decision is, we hope that you are safe.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X