Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 17

Okay, so I'm about to be 17 in January, and I was wondering if I leave home, would the police bring me back? My school in the town that I live in is shutting down, and I feel like the education isn't good enough, and my parents don't understand. I'm a junior, almost a senior and I don't want this to mess me up next year. ( My GPA, and rank, etc.). I've been reading everywhere that in Texas (where I live) that when you turn 17 you are legally aloud to move out of your house. Once I turn 17 I'm planning on moving with my aunt and continue school and get a job. Her and my Uncle are competely fine with it, beacuse this town is horrible and she doesnt want my brother and I living here. I've even talked to some police officers here and they've told me the same thing, about how as long as I'm in a safe environment and I continue school. I just don't want my aunt to get in trouble or anything if I do go. Any help?

RE: Almost 17

Hello There,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are here to help you and provide you support in the best way possible.

It sounds like you really care about your education and over all well-being, which is great. We are so glad that you reached out to us. Here at NRS, we are not legal experts but we can provide you with some general information. Age of Minority varies from state to state, so depending on where you live at 17, you can still be considered a minor. We looked it up and in Texas at 17 you are still considered a minor. When you are still considered a minor, then your parents have a legal right to file a runaway report. If a runaway report if filed and you are picked up by the police for whatever reason, there is a chance that you will be returned back home. Also, if you were staying with someone there is a chance that they can be charged with harboring a runaway.

It sounds like you have talked to a lot of different resources already including the police. One option that you can consider is calling your local police department again, and just ask them general questions to get a better understanding of what would happen.

It seems like you have a really great support system with your Aunt and Uncle, which is really wonderful. We would love to support you and help you during this time. Please feel free to give us a call any time, we are here 24/7. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X