Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I legally run away to my dads?

I’m 17 and I want to go live with my dad. He is my non-custodial parent, so I was wondering, if my mother was to file me as a runaway, could my dad be charged with kidnapping of a minor? Or could I simply leave and live with him and her not file me as a runaway, and still press charges against him for kidnapping of a minor? I need help ASAP

Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that you are probably going through a really stressful time with the situation you find yourself in. Our hope through this all is that we might provide you with resources and tips to help you in the decision making process.

Though we are not legal experts from what we gather about your situation is that because you are 17 you are still considered a minor and therefore your mom has the right to file a runaway repot to the police. If you are found or they know where you are you would be taken back asap. Your dad would face charges (if she chose to) of harboring a minor. The penalties of this kind if charge vary with every state. However, there are some possible loopholes. If you are 17 and within 6 months of being 18 often times police wont file a report because you are so close to !8 they would just let it be. However again that just depends on your police station. This might be a good option to wait on because then the likelihood of you being reported is minimal.

We want to commend your bravery for reaching out since we know it can often be difficult to reach out and seek help. We hope that you feel more informed on the situation you currently find yourself in. If for any reason you have more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call us at (1-800-786-2929) or online through our chat option at (www.1800runaway.org).

Best Wishes-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X