Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to live with my father but my mother has custody.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. Generally for custody cases like this your dad will need to initiate legal proceedings himself to gain full custody of you.
    We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    I want to live with my dad but my mom hates my dad and i am 16 and how can i live with my dad and my mom not get mad because i don't living at my house all my mom does is start arguments

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline Forum line. The situation you are in sounds very difficult and it’s unfortunate that you are going through it.

While no age is indicated in your message, it appears that you are probably still school-aged and there are laws for parents who walk away from the responsibility of raising their underage children. If you are able to, you may want speak to a relative or older sibling you are close to and explain the situation. Being really honest about your father’s behavior is important as it could put you into danger living with him. If that doesn’t work, I would encourage you to get back in touch with us using our Chat connection or via phone at 1-800-Runaway, both which are available 24/7 so there’s always someone for you to connect with. Here at NRS, we have resources in our database, which we can look into to possibly connect you to an organization near to where you live.

Even if the move has been made, it’s important that you let someone know if you find yourself in danger. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if we can be of assistance. Keep our contact information listed above with you! Good Luck to you!

Guest replied
    my mom is making me move to my dads and I wouldn’t like to. Yes today! Anyways, my dad is a drug addict, and achocolic. Yet, that’s the reason they spilit up. Yes I love my dad but he is not capable of being a good father since he didn’t have a good parenting hoods. And my mom makes my life miserable! I have no where to go. Can anyone help?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    We are glad you reached out to us for help. Getting along with a new step-parent is very challenging and even more so if he is difficult and not supportive. You deserve a supportive home and to be considered.

You do have some options but the specifics depend on how old you are, where you live and some other details on the dynamics going on in your Mom’s house. We would like to talk to you more about all those details, help you come up with a plan that works for you, and get you in touch with the resources you need to support your plan.

You can contact us for a chat through our website or call our crisis hotline at (800) RUNAWAY to talk through all that. Both are available 24/7 and are completely confidential.

We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.

Guest replied
    i want to live with my father

so ive been with my mother my hole life and she has a husband now and hes the worst i cant stand it here i just want to get a job and a car to work on my career but they are holding me back and my dad is the only one who would help me so im thinking if i could live with my dad so i can actuality start my life a happy one

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i want to live with my dad but my mom has custody and my dad is way nicer but my dad is not as rich as my mom so he could not be able to win and the judge wont listen to me cuz i am 11. and i dont want to make my mom feel bad. and i dont know what to do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. It sounds like the situation between your mom and dad has been difficult for you. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im wanting to move in with my dad but i havent seen him since i was 6 and he has previous charges for drug use and abuse but my mother wont let me see him even though hes out of prison and is getting clean but my mother is absent most the time either at her boyfriends or work i rarely see her anymore and when i do it seems like shes alwas yelling at me for something and its as if nothing i do for her is good enough and recently i asked to see my dad once again and she yelled saying "he will fill your head with lies and if he wanted to see you he would be around" and yet yesterday she admitted theyve been texting for years but she still refuses to let me see him she doesnt know i wish to move in with him but i know his parents address but i dont have any contact with his family because of her and i barely have any contact with anyone because she doesnt let me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, please see our response to your similar post:

"Hi there, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are feeling like you are treated like lesser than your siblings bu your mom, and you are having your privacy violated at home. That must be pretty overwhelming, and it's understandable that you are thinking about moving in with your dad. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

We are not legal experts, but legally speaking your dad could possible try to get custody of you if he takes your mom to court, since she is not agreeing to you staying with him. If you haven't already, you might try to ask your dad about how much custody he has of you and whether or not him going to court for custody could be an option.

It must be frustrating that your mom is not listening to you when you are asking for some privacy. You might try to include someone else on the conversation like a grandparent or family member if you need help conveying how you are feeling to your mom. You deserve to be heard. Here at NRS, we can facilitate a conference call with you and your mom if you would like a safe space to express your feelings. We can also look for family counseling resources if you are interested in trying to talk to an expert about communication issues at home. Please call or chat us for those resources (1-800-786-2929; www.1800runaway.org).

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you ever need.

Best,

NRS"
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 01-22-2021, 09:02 PM.

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are feeling like you are treated like lesser than your siblings bu your mom, and you are having your privacy violated at home. That must be pretty overwhelming, and it's understandable that you are thinking about moving in with your dad. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

We are not legal experts, but legally speaking your dad could possible try to get custody of you if he takes your mom to court, since she is not agreeing to you staying with him. If you haven't already, you might try to ask your dad about how much custody he has of you and whether or not him going to court for custody could be an option.

It must be frustrating that your mom is not listening to you when you are asking for some privacy. You might try to include someone else on the conversation like a grandparent or family member if you need help conveying how you are feeling to your mom. You deserve to be heard. Here at NRS, we can facilitate a conference call with you and your mom if you would like a safe space to express your feelings. We can also look for family counseling resources if you are interested in trying to talk to an expert about communication issues at home. Please call or chat us for those resources (1-800-786-2929; www.1800runaway.org).

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you ever need.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hello i am 14, I've been wanting to live with my dad for a long time now. My parents split up before i was the age of 1. I have always lived with my mother. But my dad knows me m a lot more. He understands, respects, and loves me a lot more then my mother does. I have asked to live with my dad about 5 times now and every time i do she tells me no and then ground me because i asked. I asked her a week ago again and then she grounded me for a month. I have been emailing my father and he knows that i want to be with him and not here. I have 2 other siblings and they get treated like kings and queens. Every time my mother looks at me all i see is hate. She doesn't even look at me like a daughter. She won't let me in the living room. My older sister treats me horrible and my mother doesn't do anything about it but my father does. what do i do? I'm not happy in the house i live in now. I am going through depression right now and my mother doesn't care she doesn't get me the help i need. At my mothers house we are not that wealthy and i'm fine with it but i need out of here.
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 01-22-2021, 08:57 PM. Reason: identifying info

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I want to live with my father but my mom said no. He lives in a different state. I love my mother with all my heart. But she makes my life 1000x harder then it needs to be for me. I have to other siblings and they get treated like kings and queens. I have talked to her about this about 5 times and every time she blows it off and thinks i'm joking. When i tell her I'm not she gets mad and she stats yelling at me. My father knows i want out of here. I got grounded for about a month because i asked her. I'm not happy in the home I'm in and i am always happy with my dad because he understands me and we have a better bond with each other. I don't want to block my mother out of my life. But I don't want to be in the home i'm in. I have no privacy here. She comes in the room while I'm changing, taking a shower, using the restroom, and a lot more. I have talked to her and asked her to stop. But she just doesn't listen to me. what do i do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline today. We’re sorry to hear that you are in a situation which is having a negative impact on how you are feeling. This is such a difficult time, and you are wise to understand how important your mental health is. While we are not legal experts, we can tell you that some states have emancipation statutes which allow for someone under the age of majority (this is usually 18 ) to gain independence from their legal guardians. If you want to give us a call or visit us on a digital chat, we can discuss how this works in your particular state and give you some legal resources which may help. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and our chat function is available through our website, www.1800runaway.org. Both are open 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

If you are comfortable talking with your grandparents about how you’re feeling, you could consider asking if you might be able to stay with your dad for a little while, just to see how things go. This could give you a break and, maybe, give them confidence in this arrangement.

Please know that we are here to listen and to do all we can. If you can contact us via phone or chat we will do our best to help. We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X