Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to live with my father but my mother has custody.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm 14 and I've lived with my dad and grandparents my whole life but I really want to live with my mom but they wont let me and I don't know how I can make it to where she has full custody... Is there anyway?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your dad and grandparents are not letting you live with your mother. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with youths in crisis. It is our understanding that your mom and or dad would have to go through the courts or through lawyers in order to change your custody. We do have referrals to legal services if you are interested, but we can only provide those through our chat service or over the phone.

If you would like those referrals or to ask any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach back out at 1-800-786-2929 or 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

Hi I want to live with my dad and I don’t know if I can!!

I really like it here at my moms I mean I have siblings and all that but I would rather be over my dads house. It’s much cleaner over there but yea I just wanna live there until my mom and her husband get their house and that’s for a few months. My mom won’t let me go over there when ever I want to so I really can’t see my dad when ever I please but that’s fine. I love it over my dads house. I also will feel bad that I’m not going to be over my moms house as much because of what I do over my dads house. I probably won’t see much of my family over my dads house because I will be over my moms house and I don’t want that to be honest I’m really just looking for some advice. Can anyone help me?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      It seems like your parents might be separated or divorced. If this is the case your mom might have full or most of the custody rights for you. You shouldn’t feel guilty for wanting to see your dad even if it means not seeing your other family as much.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

hi, my mom is constantly taking my phone and making my life miserable. my sister is also very rude to be including my stepdad. my phone is the only way for me to contact my friends and having some sort of way to feel happy by talking to people who actually care what I have to say. well, my mom took my phone and it'll be for months this time and I don't know if ill is able to do that,. we just recently moved to a new county where I know no one and I have to start a new school without a phone and knowing no one and high school can be hard with things like that going on. well, I really just want to move to Florida with my dad. he understands me and lets me have some sort of freedom my mom never let me have. my mom won't let me leave though, I just want to know ways I can be able to leave without her getting in the way.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS today. We’re sorry to hear about your situation with your family. It sounds really hard. It’s really challenging to start school in a new place and have to meet new people. It can be scary and it can be exhausting.

It sounds like having a phone to communicate with your friends back in your old county is important to you. It also sounds like something could have happened between you and mom that caused her to take it for so long a time. If you would like to try, we could have a conference call with you and mom to see if there’s anything you can do that might make her change her mind about the phone, or we could focus on seeing if you’d be able to go live with dad for a while. It’s up to you what we talk about. All you would have to do is call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and someone here would be happy to make that conference call happen. We can’t take sides, but we’ll make sure your voice is heard and you are able to express yourself to mom about how you’ve been feeling.

We could also try to explore some more about the situation and maybe there’s a way to have dad talk to mom about it or maybe even another family member or friend. You might also have to cope with the loss of this connection to your friends and maybe there’s an alternative we can talk about with you for communicating with your friends while mom has your phone.

There’s a lot of things to talk about, it seems, so we do want to invite you to connect with us directly! Our hotline is 24/7 and we also have a Live Chat right here on this website.

Best of luck to you,
      NRS

i wanna live with my dad but my mom keeping me away from him livin with my mom is hard she me feel like ima brown banna while the rest of my siblings are yellow im not good i love to live my dad my mom she ust hit me with a cord she gave my phone to a child and i cant get it back tbh she making hate myself all i am is nice to people then people like her come in my life and mess it all up i love my dad he is so nice but my mom is keeping me from momthe last i saw my dad when i was six sitting in the front seat and my started a whole arguement my dad loves me and ik it its ust the fact that my mom knowes he love me more than her

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. You mentioned that your mom has previously hit you with a cord and it raises a lot of concern for your safety and well-being. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are currently at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

It's great to hear that you and your dad have such a strong relationship. It may be beneficial to speak with your dad directly about your desire to live with him. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Hey um could you tell me what I should do in my situation thx.

so when I was five I lived with my father until then and my mother had multiple boyfriends after that we moved a lot and now my mom is settling down and she has another kid and she’s thinking of marrying this guy but now they’re doing drugs like edibles and smoking weed and she doesn’t respect my personal space don’t even have a normal door knob you can just literally push my door open and the door knob does even work Nor does the lock so now I have a small space in my closet where I can be alone my mom just taken away my phone even though I asked her to light a candle so I wouldn’t smell the weed and my mother is the greatest but she is a terrible individual and my father is a better person than she will ever be.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      Generally custody is a court issue and as such if you did want to live with your dad instead of mom he would need to go through the courts to get full custody of you instead of your mom. It seems like thinks are frustrating at your moms and it is understandable to not enjoy the smell of weed all over the house. Depending on your state that might be an offence that you could use as leverage to go live with your dad.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X