Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to live with my father but my mother has custody.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I live with my mom my parents never were married but i dont know what too do my mom acts like she doesn't care about me i want too live with my dad because he is really sweet and he always tells me he loves me but he lives with his friend and there both men and i dont know what to do I really want too live with him because not trying too effend my mom but he is better i love him more and there is a reason. My mom has three kids and I am the middle ever since i was born my mom said her life was screwed up. My dad would have too send me too my grandmas but i dont mind i can stay there. As long as im far away from my mom but if i t ell her she will probibly try and tell me its not my choice. My mom tries too act like im stupid because im the child with the good grades and the kid that does all the chores. And bella her yougest is chubby and snobby and she loves her. But can i do that right now and if my mom tells me i cant who do i tell should I text the police? Or what but if she wont let me i need too tell someone can you pls answer I need some help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to help cope with all that has been going on.
    It sounds like at times it can be frustrating living with your mother. It’s never easy watching someone go through tough emotional times and feeling caught in the middle of it.
    It is important to exercise self–care during a difficult time.
    It can be hard transitioning to a new place while not being allowed to stay connected in some way with people you are close to. It sounds like there were some issues living with your dad but you feel good about him and the way you were treated. We understand how complex legally the situation is.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    We would like you to know we are here to support you at this difficult time.
    Sometimes having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. If you would like to talk more about your situation, please call or chat soon.

Let us know how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) orwww.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    So my mom and real dad were never married. A few years ago my mom gained full custody of me. My dad treated me pretty good for the most part. He would take me to places I like and bought me stuff. But sometimes he was a little drunk so he was really mean. Now I live with my mom. I honestly hate living here. I have stuff I like but I don’t feel loved and I’m always scared that if I’ll do something wrong she’ll take away my good clothes and will be extremely mean to me. She also only believes and thinks what she wants. She is also deeply depressed and I feel she takes it out on me sometimes.
    So 2 years ago I asked when I get to visit my dad. ( she still has full custody ) and she instantly said nonononono you’re never going there until I’m 18. But he treats me so much better than her. He got married this summer and got a better job so he’s doing good. He lives in Alaska but we live in Idaho. I just really want to live with him and the rest of his side of the family there in Alaska. I don’t know if it is legal because I am a minor and my mom has full custody.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,
    Thank you for reaching out, it seems like you have been through a lot of physical trauma since you left your grandma’s house. It makes sense to have consequences for poor decisions, but they shouldn’t involve physical violence or yelling. Your mom and step-dad hitting you is not ok and it may constitute abuse.
    If you want more information about child abuse and reporting you can go to childhelp.org for more information or options you have. As for leaving for another family member’s house, if you are not yet 18 in most states then your mom could file a runaway report on you. Its possible that police if they listened to your reasons for leaving would take your side but they are supposed to make you go home. Usually if a parent tells you to leave police are less likely to force you home later that same day. If your parents try to physically force you out of the house that is a form of neglect and you can call 911 if things get physical.
    We hope this information helps you moving forward, if you have more questions or just need someone to vent to we are always here on the phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Guest replied

i live with my mom and her boyfriend they have 2 kids together and yesterday my mom told me theres the front door. she has hit me multiple times becuase yesterday i was playing a game with my stepbrother where we had to see who could make the bigger fire and the tree got caught on fire. yes it was stupid and i get that but she has hit me before when i didn't do anything. before this i used to live with my grandma and my sister and we had the best life now i have to live with my stepdad who punced me and hit me 2 times and i cant live with my dad because hes in jail in arizona and im in california and yesterday my mom told me theres the front door so i packed my bad and then my stepdad got involved and i hate living here. i told my mom that he hit me and she laughed. we used to have the best relationship before my stepdad moved into the picture, my mom used to be an adult dancer in las vegas but we had to move to cali to live with him and it is like living a nightmare. please help me i have my bag packed and i was wondering if she tells me theres the front door and i take my bag full of stuff my grandparents or aunt or uncle or anyone bought me am i allowed to live with my grandma on my dads side. my grandma has visitation rights but my mom took them away from me i want to have them back but she wont let me please help me i cant live like this. my grandma is fully capable of taking care of me she works at kaiser and makes enough money, my mom doesn't like her but i dont care she is my light and part of my world please get back to me asap

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thanks for reaching out to us. It makes sense you might feel some anxiety over approaching your mom about moving in with your dad. Perhaps you can write a letter explaining how you feel, why you want to move in with your dad, and perhaps even why the transition will be good for her too. You don't even have to give her this letter, but it might be good to get your thoughts down on paper. But that's just one idea. If it feels right to you, go for it. If not, maybe try something else.

If you'd like to talk more about the situation we are here 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We're a safe, confidential place to discuss what's going on. If you want, we can even mediate a conversation between you and your mom. But it's up to you. You can also chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi so my parents have been split since I was 2 and idk how to break it to my mother that I want to move in with my dad and she wont let me and I'm worried she will get mad at me and my dad said you can and I have almost 10 diffrent reasons why I want to move in with him and I'm 16 and I wanna be able to be with my dad

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seems like you have been through a lot and don’t feel comfortable at home with your grandparents. It makes sense to want to go somewhere where you aren’t getting in fights constantly and forced into panic attacks.
    Since your father doesn’t have custody anymore then if you were to leave your grandparents could file a runaway report, and ask police to bring you back to their house. It’s possible that the police will take your side if you tell your story but by no means a guarantee.
    The most legal way you could go about this would be to look into either child abuse reporting, or your dad going to the court and try to get custody of you again.
    If you wanted to find some legal aid or just wanted to talk you can chat online, or call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We do hope things improve for you.

Guest replied
    I'm 15 and I want to live with my father, who lost custody over me and my sister in 2012, I was given over to my grandparents but, I'm not happy here I feel trapped here I'm not allowed to do anything with friends and sometimes loved ones. I and my grandma get in fights every morning and night I have panic attacks every night and cry my self to sleep. My dad makes me feel safe in my own skin and make me feel happy, he never raises his voice at me and lets me have a social life, but I'm not sure if it legal for me to be with him, I just know I don't want to live here anymore, and I have wanted to live with him for a while. I really want my life back. Any advice helps rn

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi, Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like your home situation is out of balance for you with you doing the chores for 7 other people and you left to feel like Cinderella; this alone is hard to take but now your mom has moved far away too. We are very sorry that you are going through this.

In complicated matters that involve custody and legal matters your ability to have a say in your life is even harder. Possibly starting a conversation with your mom would help to get the adults to help work this out. The best way for us to help you is by talking about it by phone or live chat.

We are here for you and you can reach us 24/7 on our hotline at 1800-786-2929 (1800-runaway) or via live chat through www.1800runaway.org
    We truly hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    so my parents have split up awhile ago and just recently my mom left to another state that is far away, and im not happy at my fathers cause my life is like a cinderlla story i do the chores when there is 7 other people in the house to help and i want to tell my dad everthing and tell him i want to go and live with my mom but i dont know how

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you really overwhelmed with what is going on at home between you and your mom.Unfortunately, we are not legal experts or custody experts by any means so we do not know why or how that could have happened. However if you call or chat us, we can provide you with local legal aid organizations' information if you would like to get legal help with your custody situation. If you have any way to get a hold of your dad, you might ask about what happened to try to get a better idea of why the courts placed you with your mom.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,

NRS

Guest replied
    I live with my mom and my dad left when i way younger now all me and my mom do is fight and my dad only has supervised visitation can i stilk take it to court and choose to live with my dad?1

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems that you want to stop living with your mom who has custody of you to go live with your dad.

While we are not experts on the law, if your mom has sole legal custody over you then your father has no legal right to guardianship, possibly only visitation. Therefore, if you are under 18 and decide to go live with your dad, your mom may file a runaway report, which means the police would most likely return you to her. Furthermore, your father could get in trouble with the law for harboring a runaway since he has no legal authority to let you stay. If your father would like to regain his custody, it might help to speak with local law services on custody. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

It also sounds like you have a great support system and a lot of family and friends where you are currently living. Would it be an option for you and your mom to go to counseling together? Family therapy might be a great way for you to express how you are feeling, and how you would like more to have your dad in your life more. If you think you and your mom would be open to counseling, you can contact 211 for local resources in finding therapists or counseling services nearby.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe and good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi. When I was born my mom was 16, dad was 14. All my life I have heard stories about how he didnt want me. I finally met him for the first time when I was 13, we had so much in common. I've been talking to him a lot more, and he seems to have changed. Before this, he was a drug addict. Now I want to build a relationship with him, but my mom won't let me. Now I dont want to live with my mom anymore. But I dont want to hurt her. I want to live with my dad. But I dont want to leave my brothers and sisters and grandparents and wonderful boyfriend behind. But one day it was just the breaking point for me... me and my mom got into an argument because I had sent pictures to my bf. I felt really sad because she was disappointed in me. Not to mention other things happening, like me being yelled at and called names or being threatened. I love her so much but I dont want to be around her anymore. What do I do? Should I go and live with my dad and break contact with everyone I love here, or should I stay with her?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X