Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to live with my father but my mother has custody.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    It seems like your parents might be separated or divorced. If this is the case your mom might have full or most of the custody rights for you. You shouldn’t feel guilty for wanting to see your dad even if it means not seeing your other family as much.
    We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I want to live with my dad and I don’t know if I can!!

I really like it here at my moms I mean I have siblings and all that but I would rather be over my dads house. It’s much cleaner over there but yea I just wanna live there until my mom and her husband get their house and that’s for a few months. My mom won’t let me go over there when ever I want to so I really can’t see my dad when ever I please but that’s fine. I love it over my dads house. I also will feel bad that I’m not going to be over my moms house as much because of what I do over my dads house. I probably won’t see much of my family over my dads house because I will be over my moms house and I don’t want that to be honest I’m really just looking for some advice. Can anyone help me?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your dad and grandparents are not letting you live with your mother. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with youths in crisis. It is our understanding that your mom and or dad would have to go through the courts or through lawyers in order to change your custody. We do have referrals to legal services if you are interested, but we can only provide those through our chat service or over the phone.

If you would like those referrals or to ask any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach back out at 1-800-786-2929 or 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 14 and I've lived with my dad and grandparents my whole life but I really want to live with my mom but they wont let me and I don't know how I can make it to where she has full custody... Is there anyway?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thank you so much for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you have been put in a really tough spot and not being able to reach out to your father could be pretty upsetting. We understand reaching out can be really difficult and it takes a lot of courage.

We are not legal experts, but we do have some general knowledge around leaving home. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission, but it seems like this may not be an option and you know your mother best. If you leave home without your mom's permission, parents are generally obligated to contact the police to file a runaway report. This means that if you were to come into police custody, they would most likely return you home. Leaving home is generally not illegal, but there are laws called Harboring a Runaway. These are meant to hold folks accountable who house runaways or youth who have left home without permission.

It could be a good idea talking to a friend or trusted adult to see if they can help you talk to your mom or if they have other ideas. We are also always here to help you brainstorm, explore options, or help connect you with resources that may be in your area. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat with us through our website https://www.1800runaway.org/. We are here 24/7 and we are happy to support you in any way that we can. Please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i am currently 16 and i dont know my father and i want to stay with him for a while to get to know him however my mom has full custody of me and wont even let me talk to him what do i do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It may be helpful to have your dad or another family member help you talk with your mom about allowing you to stay with him. We also offer a conference call service, iin which we can talk with you and your mom by phone to help facilitate the conversation. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    I want to live with my dad but my mom has custody of me. My dad and mom got divorced around 5 years ago and I was 8. I am not 13 and wanting to live with my dad. My mom claimed by dad was an acholohic and on first hand knowledge that was not true in fact my step dad drinks more than my dad ever did. Anyway i have been suffering from what i believe to be depression. It feels like all this sorrow is coming down on me and holding me against my will. Yet when i am with my dad it all goes away. I feel free and i am always smiling. I want to tell my mom i want to move in with my dad but im afriad she will yell at me or say no. But if she does say no I am prepared to bring this to court.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not legal experts but usually it may take an agreement between your parent’s and or them going back to court to amend the current agreement. You might consider talking with your dad about your wishes and see how he feels about it.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    my mom and dad divorced when I was 8 and i was forced to live with my mom i have not the best relationship with my mom and i do with my dad my mom will not let me live with my dad how can i move in with my dad oh and I am thirteen now.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-20-2020, 12:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a tough situation and are faced with your mom treating you in a way you don’t deserve to be. Home should be a place you feel safe, instead of a place you are afraid to return to. It makes sense to want to go to your father’s house where hopefully you aren’t called mean names and have a supportive parent.
    Without knowing the full details as to your parent’s relationship at this point it seems safe to at least assume they are separated or living in different places since you can consider going to your father’s as a potential solution. Your parents might have a custody agreement that defines how much each of them gets to spend time with you or make decisions for you as a guardian. If you wanted to live with your dad it might be helpful to reach out to him first to see if that is something he would be able to try and make happen or not before sharing your feelings with your mom. This might save you having to have a tough conversation before knowing all your options. Your dad might have partial custody and be able to just come and pick you up, or your dad might need to sue for custody in order for you to legally stay with him full time instead. If you and him need we can look up some legal aid resources in your area if you need help starting that process.
    What you have described could potentially be you experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mother. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.
    If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I would love to move to my dad my mom she is always mad at me for every little thing when I get a bad grade she calls me stupid cow and things like that I’m scared to tell her I want to live with my dad she always says I don’t trust you echt.im only 12 and can’t take it anymore im scared to go home every day after school because I’m scared she found something out about me that she’s going to be mad about I love school because of this...

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Your mom's behavior is unacceptable and you deserve to be safe in your own home.

You mentioned some things about hitting and slapping and alluded to cruel things when she's drunk and this raises some concern about your safety. If you are currently at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. A CPS agent may possibly expedite the process of you staying with your dad.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied

My mother has full custody of me and my dad has visitation rights. I would like to move to my dads because my mother breaks the visitation times and only lets me go to his house when she wants me to. I will be 17 in a few months, and I feel like the home environment at my dads would be better for me. My mother has hit and slapped me on several occasions and done rude and cruel things to me a couple times when she was drunk and told me not to tell. My brother has had drug issues for a while now and is going to a mental hospital, and she has been depressed for years and takes it out on me. The worst is my mother constantly calls me names and yells at me, examples are, "whore", "**********", "slut", as well as telling me that I am an awful person. My Dad and me share a much better relationship and he has never done any of this to me. He is taking her to court but this could take forever to change, what else can I do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time, and we want you to know you are not alone.
    It must be tough to want to live with your dad not being able to. One option to consider is asking yur mother if you can visit your dad, that way you can get a break and be able to see your dad. There also may be a reason you are unable to see or live with your dad, you could try asking your mom why you can’t see your dad. Also you could consider talking with a counselor about what you are going through. You could talk to your mom about setting up an appointment.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options please chat with us or call us. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X