No announcement yet.

17 years old Live with other grandparents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We cannot imagine how isolating it must feel to be kept from the rest of your family.
    It sounds like your maternal side of your family is trying to keep you away from the paternal. Since you mentioned that your 17 we wanted you to know that we are not legal experts but generally speaking a person is not considered an adult until they are 18. This means that their guardians are legally responsible for them. So the parent is required by law to provide for the youth (food, shelter, school, etc.) If they fail to do so then they can face legal consequences. This also means that the youth cannot live anywhere else without parents’ consent. There are exceptions to this rule but those include getting the court involved such as emancipation or Child Protective Services removing the parent’s rights.
    Since you mentioned that you would like to live with the other half of your family, one thing that could be done is for your father to go to court for more custody rights. However, this could be a long process and you might age out before it is even completed.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than once by bulletin to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,

    Leave a comment:

  • Guest
    Guest started a topic 17 years old Live with other grandparents

    17 years old Live with other grandparents

    im 17 years old and I live with my dads side grandparents. I want to live with my moms side because the ones im with now wont allow me to see my family. Ive recently found my brother who Ive lost contact with for 9 years since I was young. She wont even let me see him more than a few hours. I really want to be apart of my family. My moms side grandparents have a stable home and even more finacially stable than my dads side. How may I go live with them instead. Ive always thought running away but I heard there are legal issues involved.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp