No announcement yet.

leaving home to stay with grandparents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • leaving home to stay with grandparents

    I am 16 and I do not want to live with my mom anymore I just had to move back with her because of some things but she did kick me out back in January and i lived with my grandma and my aunt. I now am back with my mom and have to go to a different school that I do not like at all I rather go back to my other school and be back on my old basketball team i can only do this if i go back with my grandma. my mom and her bf are very mean and they say hurtful things to me. my moms bf drinks and smokes weed every night and get very mean when high or drunk. my mom used to hit me with a belt for no reason. just because i would go into my brothers room when he went in mine. she yells at me for things i 1 did not do or 2 could not control and it has made me super depressed because i feel like i can do nothing right but also the stuff she tells calls me or tells me hurts a lot but she wont let me leave. my little sister already lives with our dads mom. but my mom will not let me go to her moms house nor my dads moms house with my sister. me and my grandmother want me to be with her and not here but we do not know how to do that without me getting in trouble with my mom calling the cops like she has before. we just need to be able to get me living with her again and not my mother but to where we do not get in trouble.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that you have been facing and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. You mentioned experiencing abuse which may be reportable against your mom. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at (1-800-422-4453) or may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made. There also could be the possibility of having custody transferred to another family member, like your grandma, based on what you report and the level of neglect. Child Help would be able to help walk you through that option as well.

    We're glad that you have a lot of adults in your life that are supporting you as you try to make your situation better. Don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 if you need us or want to walk through other options. We are here 24/7 to support and listen.



    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp