Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t want to live with my mom

I don’t want to live with my mom and stepdad anymore because I feel no love and I feel neglected by my mom, I want to live with either my cousin that is almost 19 or my aunt what is the process I have to go through to do that

Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS! We know that it can take a lot for you to reach out and seek help. We commend your bravery for wanting to explore your options and seeking resources.

So from what we a gather about your situation is that you no longer feel like your mom and step dad have been treating you well. You mentioned you feel neglected. No one deserves to feel that way. Know that we are here to listen and help in the best way we can. As far as trying to live with someone else other than your legal guardian is difficult since it requires your parents to give consent for you to live with someone other than yourself. This process involves calling the police and asking for the proper paperwork so that your parents can sign off on you living elsewhere. This means that if you were to choose to go to your cousin or aunt without your parent’s consent they have the right to file a report. If you happened to run into the police they would have to take you back to your parents. There are also consequences for your cousin or aunt if they choose to let you stay with them. They could be charged with harboring a minor and the consequences vary in each state as far as the severity of the penalty. Other than that there are not too many ways of switching guardianship unless you report them to the authorities and they find you have been abused in any way. Perhaps another option is to talk to the school counselor or a teacher about the situation.

Again we want to thank you for reaching out to us. We know it can be difficult to be in a tough spot but we want you to know that we are to help and listen as best we can. If for any reason you find yourself with more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us at our hotline (1-800-786-2929) or out chat option online www.1800runaway.org . We hope that this information can help give you a better view of the options you have.

Best Wishes- NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X