Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i am a runaway, when i’m 18 will it all go away ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am a runaway, when i’m 18 will it all go away ?

I ran away when i was 16 in the end of october last year, and it has almost been a year now. I am now 17 years old. When I am 18 will they drop my case? I ran away because i had truancy problems in school and they put me in foster home, even though they made my mom see a physicist and all and she was cleared, my moms my best friend and they took me from her. Also when i had court my dad tried to get custody of me and i wanted to go with him because i didn’t wanna be without my family. I don’t understand how cys could take me away from a loving home and not let me go with my dad either all because truancy. Which i tried to drop out to get my high school diploma through classes, and i had a full time job, when there’s kids out there that are being abused and all. but they took me, wouldn’t let me go with my dad or any other family member. I just wanna know if this will all go away when i’m 18. I am safe and everything. i just miss my family. i don’t wanna go two christmas’s, birthdays, thanksgivings without them once again. so when i am 18 could they still try to take me into custody ?

We want to begin by thanking you for reaching out to us here at NRS. We want to acknowledge that you are going through a difficult situation but also let you know that we are here to listen and help. You do not deserve to be separated from your family especially if you feel as though you are safe and loved by them.

As far your situation goes, we are unfortunately not legal experts. However, what we can gather is that if you choose to leave and do in some states that emancipates you and therefore there is no help available for you as far as college goes. There are other states that even if you choose to leave from foster care you have benefits till you are 21. Since you turn 18 you are free to do as you wish and there would be no one from stopping you from joining your family. Again we are not legal experts and cannot say for certain. Some other options are perhaps talking with your case worker about the situation that you are going through. This would be helpful as they are more aware of your situation.

Again thanks so much for reaching out to us. We know it takes a lot of courage to reach out and seek help. If you have any more questions, or if there is anything else we can help with please do not hesitate to call. You can reach us at our call line or chat option online. (1-800-786-2929 , www.1800runaway.org) We hope the very best for your situation and that it is resolved quickly.

Best Wishes - NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X