•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth or if someone that is 17 can legally move out of their parent’s home. We hope that makes sense.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    so I'm 17 years old, and I've previously had a runaway charge when I was 14/15/&16 years old. I do not get along with my dad and stepmom they are way to controlling so controlling to the point of how I wear my hair. All I've ever wanted was to be able to be a normal teenager which has never been an experience for me. I have college goals & life goals I want to fulfill but I feel as if they're holding me back in every way they can. Am I able to move out I can support myself? I have my own job and pay for everything I have already.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; Yesterday, 03:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there. We're sorry to hear you're going through a rough time right now. It sounds like you at least have a creative outlet through music, which is really great. Acknowledging and expressing your feelings is so important and we're happy you at least have your music.

It sounds like your dad originally gave you permission to live with your uncle, but then changed his mind and now you're back at home with your dad. We understand this is not where you want to be and would rather live with your mom or your uncle. If your dad gives you permission to live with your uncle, there might not be any legal consequences. Since your mom previously lost custody rights and was recently in jail we can't say for sure if you can legally go back to live with her or not. Perhaps the best thing would be to talk to someone who is a legal expert about these sorts of things -- and unfortunately we can't give legal advice. Here are a few legal aid resources you might want to contact in Florida:

www.frls.org (800) 476-8937

www.gulfcoastlegal.org (800) 230-5921

www.bals.org/get-help (800) 625-2257

Any of those organizations might be able to answer your legal questions. If you'd like more help or resources, please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. One service we do offer that you might consider is for us to do a conference call between you and your dad to see if you both can come to a satisfactory agreement. We wouldn't take sides, but we would advocate for you to express yourself and make sure the conversation stays respectful and productive. So that's an option for you.

Whatever you decide, we hope the best for you. We are here 24/7 and look forward to hearing from you. You can also chat with us by clicking on "chat" on our main website: www.1800runaway.org.

All the best,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 10-04-2019, 09:40 AM.

Guest replied
    I’m 16 years of and when I was younger around 9-10 my mom chocked me and she lost all rights me me because my dad took her to court after that happened everything went to hell there soo much and I don’t really wanna talk about it because it only makes it worse I vent through music, music saves me, but I have been having problems with my dad and he recently said he was going to send me to state so I ran away and he kept contacting me I didn’t answer well my uncle contacted me from my mothers side and he used to work at a run away institution he offered me to come live with him and I said yes I asked my dad if I come home can I move to Georgia with my uncle and he said yes so I turned myself in and he didn’t let me leave I live in [...] Florida but my mom got out of jail 3 days ago and with her losing rights to me is there a way I can say I want to live with her and I can?
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 10-04-2019, 08:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your mom is treating you in a way that is so inappropriate and so hurtful towards you. It is understandable why you want to leave so badly. We will preface this by saying there is no
    “Risk-free” way to leave home as a minor. In some states, like Michigan and Georgia, 17 year olds can leave and the police do not have the ability to force the youth to return home. In other states, parents have a right to file a runaway report with the police until the age of 18. What that would mean is that the police, if they encountered you, would have the right to notify your guardians and attempt to return you home. In all states, it is not illegal to run away from home and it is not something that, on its own, you will be arrested for or charged with anything for. If you want to talk more about your specific situation and what other options you have, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/ hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    my name is alerra , and well im 17 and my birthday is in February for me to be 18 and i was wondering if i was to move out of my moms and go live with my boyfriend and his family would my mom be able to get mad at me for wanting to move out when at my moms is nothing but fighting with my siblings and my mom. She always says she wants us to go with our dad and she cant stand us and dont want us anymore . If i was to move out can she call the cops and say im a run away ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. From what we can gather from your situation it seems as though your parents want you out of the house. If you are able to gather any type of video, audio, text, or something that has them saying so you can call out to the police or even DCFS and let them know your parents are being negligent. As far as leaving home you can only leave at the age of 18 when you are considered an adult. If you do leave your parents have the right to file a runaway report for you. From there you would looked for and if you are staying with anyone they could charge that person with harboring a runaway. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    if i runaway, and my parents dont report me, then what happens? also if my parents said they didnt want me in their life anymore can the police even do anything about me running away since they said that, im 16 years old, i already have a plan, i know ill be safe, my parents are emotionally abusive

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and we are here to help as best as we can.

While we aren’t legal experts, 18 is generally the age of adulthood in most states. If you do decide to leave home before turning that age, your parent/guardian may file something called a runaway report. Generally, running away isn’t illegal per say, it is something called a status offense. Similar to curfew, you would not be arrested or charged (unless other circumstances exist like being on probation, running away habitually, etc.). In most cases the police will take a report to help try to find the youth and bring them back to their parents/guardians. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. This charges vary but generally they are something your parents/guardians have to press if you are found in the custody of someone. We know this can be a lot and we are always here to brainstorm and talk about what this means to you and help create a plan with this information in mind. Also, the best way to get more information about runaway protocol in your area is to reach out to the local non-emergency police and ask questions about what their protocol is (you can ask confidential questions like you have with us without sharing any information you are not comfortable with).

As for school enrollment, this does also vary unfortunately. A good option to get specific information may be to call the school you would want to enroll in and ask questions about enrollment if a youth is homeless or a runaway. Generally, runaway reports can be local but also national and sometimes while enrolling a student runaway report can still be accessible if the youth is still under 18. Another good resource to think about reaching out to is the National Center for Homeless Education Hotline (800-308-2145). They may have some more information about enrollment while living with someone other than a parent/guardian and may be able to help you answer some of your questions.
    Again, we appreciate your bravery with reaching out to us. We do truly care about you and are always here to brainstorm ideas, plans, and options to help you create a plan you feel is most safe. You can reach us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY or you can also chat us at 1800runaway.org as well. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best, NRS

Guest replied
    hello im 16 years old, i want to runaway, i turn 17 in 5 months, i have a whole plan to runaway, i already have a place to live at/ stay where i know my parents wont find me, but i still want to go to school, if i get reported as a runaway and im still going to school , what does the school do about it? i live in vancouver washigton, also say my friends parent want to enroll me into a different school without my parents permission, is that possible to do? and how long do the police search for? and if the police did stop looking and i got enrolled to a different school would the police find out?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    Hello,

Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are trying to decide what to do about leaving home or staying but have some questions. It’s good that you are taking your time in making a decision.

We’re so sorry to hear about your moms passing. You absolutely deserve a home where you feel loved and safe. If you could call our crisis hotline or use our chatting service we could look into emancipation in your state and give you some legal aid resources. They could also help you with figuring out getting your custody transferred to your friend’s parents.

Whoever has legal custody over you is the one who could give you permission to live with your friend. They also have the power to make a runaway report on you if you leave home without permission. From your post it’s hard to tell who that person is but it would be helpful to you if you found that out.

We can also look to see if there’s runaway shelters in your area if you called or chatted with us, so you have a back-up plan if you need to get away from your family. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

We can best help by phone or chat, as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.
    If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi, I'm 16 years old, a few moths ago I was thinking about running away, but I changed my mind and decided it was a bad idea, my home life isn't that great, my sister hates me, I came to live with my sister two years ago because my mom died and my dad was in jail, my sister is 23 and we are constantly fighting, she always tells me she never wants to see me again, and recently a few month ago we were moving, but then my sister didn't have enough money to take care of me anymore, she's my half sister we share the same mom but not the same dad, but anyways since she could not take care of me anymore I went to live with her dad, and there nice and all, but I don't want to live there, I'm not close to them, it feels like I don't have any family, my own best friend is more of a sister to me than my real sister, but the thing that happened recently was, onday I wanted to go to my best friends, but then I decided I wanted to live with her, then that day my sister said she never wants to see me again and I haven't seen her since, but no I ended up not living with my best friend because attorneys cost too much, but I was thinking about getting emancipated but I don't have a job money or a car, and I don't really want to get emancipate, but I was wondering if I could move out without my parents permission at 17, or would I still have to get emancipated, also I have another question, can i get emancipated then go live with my friend right after or would my friend's parents still have to get custody

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there. Sounds like things are tough at home. We are sorry to hear that. If you leave home without permission at 17 your parent or guardian can file a runaway report with the police. Sometimes local authorities don't take runaway reports for youth approaching their 18th birthday. The best way to find out for sure is to call the local police non-emergency line and ask them how they would handle the matter.

If a runaway report is made, anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runway, which is a crime. Crossing state lines usually is a bit more serious, and if someone helps you with this they could be accused of aiding and abetting a runaway, which can be serious.

None of this is to say what you should do. And we can't possibly know for sure what would happen, or how the police would handle things. But these are just possibilities that MIGHT happen.

We'd like to be able to help out more. The best way for us to assist is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us by visiting the appropriate link at the top of our website: www.1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7 and are confidential. We hope to hear from you soon!

NRS

Guest replied
    I am 17 there is a lot that goes on at home if I leave from Texas to Louisiana what will happen?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Thanks for reaching out to us.

Sounds like you have a good plan and are thinking clearly about your next move to be come independent and put yourself in a healthier environment. Regarding moving out, you are typically considered the "age of majority" - that you are an adult - when you become 18. That means you can make independent decisions and not have your mom be responsible for you - specifically in leaving home and supporting yourself. Most states have the age of majority at 18 - although three states - Nebraska, Mississippi, and Alabama - have the age of majority at 19 or 21. So, if you're not in one of those states, you can leave home at 18 and not require any emancipation process to do that legally. Further, given you're almost 18, if you do leave now, it is unlikely that the police would be motivated to return you to your mom's home should she report you missing. It is hard to say how police will respond with just 2 weeks until you can become an adult. One way to know how they would respond is to call your local police and ask. Unfortunately if your car is in your mom's name she can say that you stole it if you do leave with it.

We hope this answers your question. Again, you sound like you have a great plan to move forward and good luck with that. If you would like to talk further about this topic or any other, please do not hesitate to call the National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-786-2929. Thanks.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X