X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like things have been pretty tough for you lately, and we're sorry to hear that.

Based on what you described, it seems like your aunt currently has custody over you, though it might be temporary depending on when your dad is getting out of prison. Either way, for now, this means that she is your legal guardian, so your ability to move out (without any potential legal issues) depends on whether or not this is something she agrees to. If she gives you consent to leave, you can leave. If not, things get a little bit trickier.

From that point, there aren't a whole lot of options. Because you work, you might be able to consider emancipation, which is a legal process where you essentially have to show the courts that you're mature enough to take care of yourself. It can be an expensive and time consuming process, and typically isn't one that you can pursue unless you're at least 16.

If you'd like to chat more about your situation or explore some of the above options more thoroughly, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Guest replied
    Hey my name is Elijah I live in Alabama and I’m wondering if I was able to move out if one of my parents passed away and my dad went to prison and I got put with my aunt and all she does is take the money I make from my job and she takes my social security checks I get from my mom passing away and she doesn’t let me do anything or go anywhere to better myself and all she does is argues with me and uses me to do everything she wants and uses my money for herself and her kids

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and for telling us a bit about what’s going on. It is important to take care of yourself and it may help to talk to your dad about how you don’t feel able to take on a job right now. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your dad.

If you turn 18 and are not able to live at home, you can stay in a transitional living program for a few months or until you are able to support yourself independently.

If you’d like to discuss how to have this conversation with your dad, methods for handling stress, or more information about transitional living programs, we are here to help. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). We’re available 24/7.

Take care,

NRS

Guest replied
    I am seventeen and 18 in about 8 months. My dad wants me to get a job at McDonalds with him, but I cant handle that stress. He said I either worked there or not at all. At 18, if I didnt have a job, I had to leave home. What can I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hey there, and thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

First off, congratulations on the baby! We commend you for trying to do what you can to take care of your family. That said, if you're wondering if you can legally leave home to live with your girlfriend because she's pregnant, the answer isn't so simple. Having a pregnant girlfriend, and soon, a girlfriend and a baby, does not make you a legal adult--even though it might feel like it! Assuming your girlfriend is still a minor as well, your parents all still have a legal obligation and responsibility to take care of you.

If you want to leave home legally, the best way to go about doing so is with your parent's consent. Without it, you (and the people that you stay with) are at risk of facing potential legal consequences. Another route you might be able to go is to become emancipated. The emancipation process is one where you go through the courts to legally be considered an adult. You generally have to show that you're mature enough and responsible enough to take care of yourself--maintaining a job, housing, health insurance, etc. It can be a complex, timely and expensive process. If you think this might be an option for you, you can find out more information about becoming emancipated in your state through a quick Google search, or by reaching out to us here at NRS.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about what's going on, continue to explore your options, or see if we can find some local legal aid referrals, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I turn 17 in 3 months and I have a baby on the way and I’m going to move out and go live with my girlfriend and take care of her and our baby , so can I legally do that ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in harming yourself if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi i’m not mentioning my name, but i live in missouri and i’m turning 17 in 3 months and my mom died when i was little and there was a custody battle over me for awhile and i stayed with my grandparents but i wanted to live with my dad so i moved in with him when i was 14 and i hate it here. i have no freedom. i’m treated like a slave (i’m forced to take care of my siblings and clean the whole house and everything and it’s mentally exhausting and we always get yelled at to the point we’re shaking and have panic attacks) ive talked to a social worker and they didn’t do anything about it. So moving out at 17 is my only option. i need to know if it is okay that i move out after i turn 17 as long as i return to school and have a stable place to live and can take care of myself. i cant bring up emancipation to him because i know he’d yell at me( i’ve tried) i just can’t stay here anymore otherwise i think i might hurt myself. i’ve been reading so much about this and i see that emancipation is the only option. but can i just leave and go back to my former caretakers (the people who had custody of me previously) please answer asap i seriously need to know.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. It sounds like there is a lot you are facing at home right now and there have been some safety concerns. You mentioned wanting to know more about the legal consequences for leaving before you turn 18. Leaving home without permission is not illegal but it is a status offense. This means your parents have the option to report you as a runaway to the police. If you are found, police can return you home. There is not a universal way that police handle runaway reports and like you mentioned some police are more lenient. Your local police department would have the most specific information on how they handle runaway reports for someone close to turning 18. You can anonymously call the local non-emergency line to speak to an officer about this.

You mentioned being harmed at home. If you are in any immediate danger or feel unsafe, we encourage you to contact 911 for emergency services.

We are available 24/7 for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 and through live chat at 1800runawayorg if you would like to talk more about your situation. We are here to listen and help as much as possible.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 17 and I am in the most negative environment at home. I’m constantly being threatened to get hit and my birthday is in five months and 28 days till I turn 18. I’ve spoke to multiple cops since I was 14 and nothing and only two cops told me that when i turned 17 1/2 if I were to run away they couldn’t really do much but I want to know my options and how I could go about it and if I did leave can the cops bring me back.
    I have a job I get paid a good amount I pay car insurance and my phone and still have leftover money that I’ve been saving. I’m looking into apartments and my mom knows about it but when I mention it she doesn’t support me because she knows that I’ll do better without her.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello. I am 17, (it is jan. 4 as I write this) I turn 18 (july 23). I live in Minnesota. I have issues at home that include not supportive family, oftentimes neglect (not many clothes, sometimes there isnt much food and my mom just favors my sibling over me very openly.) emotional abuse and no privacy. I am very depressed and do not know how to keep living here. I live with my mom, stpedad and sibling. I am not close to anyone of them and nto close to any family in general, and I do not have friends in my state except for one friend who lives 3 hours away. I have a gf but she lives 1,000 miles away (florida) her and her family are very supportive to me and want to help get me out of here, issue is my mom is unsupportive of our relationship and she is also very controlling. I would try to talk to her and explain, but I know her answer will be no. What if her family comes here, talks to my mom and the police department? Could they easily get me out? I have money saved up, and a safe place to go (my gf and her family would come here to get me and I would move in with them.) I will get a job down there to get an income and I will continue in school and graduate in june, but I cannot wait until then to leave, especially my birthday in late july. How can I go about this? Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I am 14 years old female in Arizona , and my mom doesn't like me at all. I have to do a lot of chores as a form of rent and payment for food. I really don't want to live here anymore. I have contacted the police and they said that there is nothing they can do since I'm not being abused. I really don't want to live here anymore. What should I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. Wow it sounds like you are in a difficult situation and we want you to know you are not alone.
    What you have described seems like a form of abuse, and we are sorry you are dealing with that. It is understandable that you are afraid of your father. You do have the right to make an abuse report and you can do that by calling Child Help at 1800-422-4453. If you are ever in immediate danger please call 911 and an officer would be able to help you.
    As far as leaving, we are not legal experts but we do have some information. Because you are a minor your legal guardian could file a runaway report, if the police were to find you it is a possibility they could bring you back home. If you let the police know of what has been going on they may be able to investigate the situation. You could also consider emancipation, you can find out more information by calling your local court house.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X