No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 legally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I need to know if a 17 ( I turn 17 friday) year old can move out in Opelousas, Louisiana... PLEASE RESPOND ASAPP!!!

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• Hi, me I’m 16 years old I’ll be 17 in 4 months I’m been trying to find away to move out me and mom is not getting along I had end up getting raped by her ex husband friend ever since then she been letting him do whatever letting him drink and treat me wrong tells me I should kill my self cps had told him he can’t come back but my mom let him back in the house and still doing the same stuff I can’t take it anymore I cry myself to sleep nobody caring

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Home is supposed to be somewhere you can feel safe and from what you mentioned that has not been the case. You do not deserve to be treated like that by anyone, and it is not your fault. This is a really tough situation to be in, but there are people who care and want to help.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. However, some police departments do not pursue runaway reports for someone who is 17. If this is the case police would not force you home if you have somewhere safe to stay. You can call the non-emergency number for your local police department to ask anonymously about their runaway protocol.

It was really brave of you to have CPS get involved. We are sorry to hear that the person who hurt you is still coming into your house and threatening you. If you feel like you are in immediate danger you can call 911 for emergency services. There is an organization called Child Help that advocates for young people in abusive and unhealthy situation. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to childhelp.org to talk more about your options for making another report and having someone intervene to keep you safe.

You deserve to be getting support as you navigate this difficult situation. You can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 or go to RAINN.org to speak with a counselor.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

We wish you the best,
      NRS

• I'm 17 in less then a month. And I live in Shepherd ,Texas and when I turn 17 I wanna move out to my boyfriend's and his moms. But I don't know if they would make me come home. Is there any way you could find out for me? please I'm begging you.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-22-2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you would like the option to leave home and go live with your boyfriend and his family but are not sure if you can do so legally.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

• I am 17 and live in North Carolina. My parents hate my boyfriend who I love very much and have been with for over two years now. I tried to sneak the relationship, but got caught. As a result, they took my car (that mostly I pay for), they took my phone, and all of my freedom. I have tried talking to them in so many ways but it has just gotten to the point where I don't feel like I'm welcome or belong in my own home. I have a job that I could easily support myself with and places I could stay. Would I still be able to go to school? Would people I stay with get in legal trouble? Would I be able to keep my job without getting caught?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and for sharing a bit about what's going on. It can be incredibly stressful and overwhelming when the adults in the household are not supportive. It sounds like your parents have been limiting your independence and isolating you from any support system that you might have. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel cared for and loved. This is a tough spot to be in, but seeking out more information about your circumstances was really responsible and resourceful.

From what we know, if you leave home without permission your parents can report you as a runaway. Running away is not illegal but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police assist with returning you home. There is a possibility that the people you are staying with could be charged with a misdemeanor called harboring a runaway or something similar. While we are not legal experts by any means, this is not very common but can be a risk. With this in mind, some police departments do become more lenient with young people who are close to 18 and do not pursue runaway reports for someone your age. You can call the local police department's non-emergency number to ask anonymous questions about the runaway and harboring protocol in your area.

Having a job to financially support yourself and safe places to stay is certainly a good start to making a plan should you decide to leave. You can still go to school even if your parents report you as a runaway. The McKinney-Vento Act is a law that protects a young person's right to education. If you have any questions or concerns regarding continuing your education you can go to https://nche.ed.gov/ to find the McKinney-Vento Liason or advocate for your area.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
      NRS

• I can't keep living at home. I can't be my own person here and it is so hard. I'm constantly being controlled and im 17. I turn 18 in 271 days and my parents basically gave me the option to move out right now if I wanted but then they come at me with that they will file a runaway report even though they LET me leave and then the cops would just bring me right back. If I were to move out, is it legal or what will happen? I live in Wisconsin and I can't seem to figure out what would happen if I left right now.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out. We understand asking for help can be difficult, and it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like you want to feel less controlled and more independent.

It’s unfortunate that your parents flipped their initial decision; that seems like it could be confusing and frustrating. We here at NRS are not legal experts. However, we do know some general information, but it is hard to be sure exactly what would happen if you left. Your parents can legally allow you to live elsewhere, but they could also have you returned home at any time while you are under the age of 18. It is a possibility for them to file a runaway report and have you returned. You can legally be removed through your local child protective services if there is severe abuse in your home. This process can be lengthy and may or may not result in the desired outcome. Or, you can live independently by going through the emancipation process. Again, this process can be lengthy and expensive if you do not have the consent of your parents. We here at NRS would be happy to link you with some local, free legal aid resources. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (https://www.1800runaway.org/). Another possible option could be to reach out to your non-emergency police line and see how they would handle the situation if your parents did in fact file a runaway report. Each police department handles these situations differently. We would be happy to help call out for you if you gave us a call or chat.

We hope this information can help you make an informed decision that you feel is best for you. We would be glad to support you in any way that we can. Please feel free to reach out to us at any time. We are open 24/7.

Best of luck with everything,
      NRS

• I’m 17 and I want to go to a friends house NOT move in but just visit for a few hours and then go back home the same day. Do I have to ask for permission?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws, since you could be considered a runaway if you leave home without permission even for a short period of time.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• My boyfriend and I are 17 years old. He has been wanting to move in with me since we were 15 but his parents wouldn't let him. We live in Beaver Dam Little Field AZ, how should we go about getting him out of his house and whats the legal percussions of doing so?

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. In some states there are emancipation laws that can be one way of trying to gain your independence. . We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18.

Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. It’s best to check your local court house to gain more information on this process.
      Also you might check with your local police department to inquire about the runaway laws in your state or if someone that moves out of their parent or guardian’s home would without permission would be considered a runaway and forced to return home.
      If you or your friend would like to talk more about your situation we are here to listen and here to help.
      To speak with someone on our crisis or chat line contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org
      We look forward to hearing from you.
      Take care,
      NRS

• Hi, I’m 17 years old and live in the state of Illinois. I have a baby who is 7 months. I want to know if I’m able to move out of my parents home. I will turn 18 in August. I want to move out because I constantly have arguments with my mother and she brings up things about my past and I try not to say anything back to her in front of my child. Today my parents kicked me out of the house and I don’t know what to do or what I can do. My mother tries to argue with me every chance she gets and she brings my baby’s father into the conversation as if he was the one to cause the argument in the first place.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing us here on our Bulletin and for sharing a bit about your situation. We are sorry to hear that your parents kicked you out so suddenly, that is definitely not okay for them to do. They are legally responsible for you until you turn 18 and have an obligation to ensure you are cared for.for and have a safe place to live. From what you shared it sounds like you are trying your best to give you and your child a supportive environment to grow in.

You do have the option to make a report to child protective services. Kicking a minor out of the home would be considered a case for neglect. You speak with an advocate at Child Help about making a report if this is a route you would like to pursue, 1-800-422-4453 childhelp.org.

If you call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services, we can connect you with a youth shelter to stay at in the short term. A long-term option for you and your child that might be available is a transitional living program. TLPs provide as stable place for young people to live while offering support that you need to continue your education, gain employment, and work toward living independently.

We look forward to hearing from you soon so that we can help,
      NRS
      1-800-786-2929; 1800runaway.org

• I have 117 days until I turn 18. I live in Sylvania Georgia and I hate being at home. My parents are mentally abusive and controlling and I’ve been getting into it with them a lot lately. I’m so stressed that I have constant headaches, my stomach hurts and I’ve even thrown up a couple times. What will happen if I leave/runaway and what could I possibly be charged with? They’ve taken my phone, keys, screwed my windows shut and even taken my money out of my wallet. I need to get out of here. Please help

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your parents are treating you in an unnecessary and harmful manner and that is inappropriate. It makes sense that your mental health and physical health are suffering from the environment that they are creating for you to live in.

While we are not legal experts we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is not illegal to run away from home. You will not get arrested for it or go to jail for it. If you do leave home without your parents permission, your parents can file a runaway report with the police. This would mean that if you encountered the police, they would notify your parents and then attempt to return you home. Because you are so close to 18, there is a chance that the police may not enforce the runaway report, however that is by no means a guarantee.

If you want to talk more about what is going on and what options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• I’m 17 on probation and I’m wondering if I can move out when I get off probation with a friend that’s a little bit over 30 he gots a stable house and I got a stable job and I’m just tired of living with my dad and his wife they do not have custodial rights over me

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS it seems like you have a lot on your plate and are considering your future options carefully. We are not legal experts but generally running away is not considered a crime, although it may violate your probations so it seems smart to wait for that to end.
      Generally if you still aren’t 18 by then leaving home without permission from your parents means they would make you go home. If they are not your legal guardians then you might be considered a ward of the state. If the state has tried to place you in your home then its possible that they could still report you as a runaway in that situation. Its possible police won’t enforce it too hard if you are close to turning 18 anyway though.
      Hopefully this information helps, if you have more questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online.

• Hey I’m 17. I don’t wanna live at home. But I also don’t wanna live with my real mom and her bf. Could I move out right now I’ll be 18 in 4 months. Could I move in with a friend and not be made to move back home. And my dad not stop me from moving out.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Hi, my name is Josh and I'm 17 years old almost 18 in 4 months but I'm ready to just move out cause my mom and I constantly get into it and the fact that I'm gay doesn't make the situation any better and she stays bringing me down and tells me a lot if you wanna go than just go as if she's ready for me to leave and she's said it before that she is ready for me to go cause she can't deal so is it possible for me to move out at 17 if she allows it or if I get emancipated cause at this point I'm just ready to go ?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Josh,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Usually, emancipation can be a lengthy and expensive process and may not be a worthwhile endeavor as you may turn 18 in the middle of the process.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if your mom gives you permission to live elsewhere than it should not be a problem. However, if you do opt to leave your home without her permission (or if she takes it back), she can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

You mentioned that part of the reason that you and your mom are not getting along is that she has a problem with your identity as part of the LGBTQ+ community. Your bravery and resilience throughout this process is so admirable. You are not alone in this and the LGBT National Youth Talkline is a great resource that offers support for young people in similar situations to your own. The hotline is run by those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can reach them by calling 1-800-246-7743 or you can check out their website at gltbhotline.org. You can also check out the Trevor Project, an organization dedicated to helping LGBT teens, by calling 866-488-7386 or by going to thetrevorproject.org.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
      NRS

• Hello i am 17 and will be 18 in 7 months. I am currently in a bad situation with my family. My mother and i get physical with each other on a daily basis. She calls me horrid names and degrades me; Fat Retarted Worthless Good-for-nothing. I cant take it anymore. I do receive counseling services for my bi polar disorder but when i try talking to them about my situation, they repeat it back to my mother and take her side, I get yelled at and i feel like can trust no one.My stepfather has been sexually assulting me since 12 and though this past few months he has stopped i still feel him staring at me. I was also sexually assulted by a close relative when my mom found out, she took legal action but now throws it in my face and says how i deserved it for dressing "skanky" when i was a 12 year old little girl. Please Help. I want out!!!

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. Wow it sounds like you have gone through a lot in your life and we want you to know that you are not alone, we are here to help.
      You do not deserve to be abused or degraded in any type of way and we are sorry you are dealing with that. You do have a right to file an abuse report and there are a few ways you can go about doing that. One option to consider is calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453 and they will be able to help you in making an abuse report. You can also call us here at NRS or chat with us and we can help you with filing an abuse report. Your safety is our top concern if you are ever in immediate danger please call 911.
      Also you do not deserve to be sexually assaulted and it is not your fault that you were assaulted. A resource that may be able to help you is RAINN (rape, abuse, incest national network). They can be reached at 1800-656-4673.
      WE are not legal experts but we do have some information. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. Because you are a minor it is a possibility you could be brought back home.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options, please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and here to support you. Best of luck!
      NRS

• Hi, I have a problem with my dad and his new daily! We are always fighting. He has a problem with verbally abusing me. Like he did with my two older brother but they at times got physical with each other. Im being told all the time im a disappointment to him, or that he was stuck with raising me and my sister that it wasnt his choice. He will get in my face and yell at me for trying to tell him how i feel. In 2017 i hit rock bottom and tried to "OD". He then made things worse by saying that if i tried to runaway he would have me sent off to a girl institute till i was 18. Ive had enough of being told he didnt want me, and im a disappointment to him. I live in Bluefield Virginia and really dont know how much longer i can take before somthing bad happens. I really wanna know what it will take or what i have to do to get out of this house.

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us and explaining a bit about your situation. We are open 24/7, always here to listen and help in any way we can.

We are so sorry that your dad has been mistreating you at home. It sounds like you’re in a lot of pain there and that it’s becoming too stressful. It makes sense that you feel like you need to get out of that environment. Your life matters and your safety is very important to us. If you feel like things are getting too overwhelming and you’re afraid that you may hurt yourself, please reach out to us. You can also call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-8255 or chat with them at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Another option you have, if you feel like getting out of the house will keep you from hurting yourself is running away. It’s not something you can be arrested for but if the police find you then they would most likely return you home. If you do decide to go with that option, please give us a call or chat with us so we can make sure you stay safe. We also can look to see if there’s any runaway shelters in your area.

We are able to do conference calls with youth and their parents, if you ever need us to call your dad with you and talk about how you’re being treated. We are also able to do conference calls with youth and CPS, if you wanted to report any abuse.

Again, thanks for reaching out to us. Please give us a call or chat with us on our website. We are open 24/7 and always here for you.

Stay safe, NRS

• i am 17 years old. things are really bad at home and i have a place i can go and be way safer and feel loved and welcomed. i am only 17 and i live in nebrask. can i legally leave and go to that safe place?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things at home have been getting overwhelming and it's making you think about the possibility of you leaving. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel supported. Leaving can be a big decision to make, but we want you to know that we are here as a support.

Now it might be helpful to know what could happen if you leave home without permission. Leaving home is not illegal and you would not get into any legal trouble. It is a status offense and your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. This means that if they know where you are staying or you come into contact with law enforcement then police would likely return you home.

We truly want to be a support for you during this challenging time. If you would like to talk more about your options, we are here 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. You can reach out by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services.

Stay safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X