No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 legally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 17 years old and live in Wichita falls texas. Me and my parents do not get along in anyway for years now. They told me if i was to leave for college since my name isn’t on the car he would report it stolen. I graduate in May and have a job. However i don’t turn 18 until August. Is it legal for me to move out of the house after i graduate without there consent?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, thanks so much for contacting NRS with your question, we’ll try our best to answer your question. It sounds like you’re dealing with a difficult and stressful situation at home, and you want to leave and get your own place.

In Texas, as with most states, you are considered a minor at the age of 17. However, it isn’t considered illegal to run away from home. It can be difficult to know exactly how the police would react if you were to leave home and get your own place. We often hear that, at 17, runaway reports are not always taken by the police. Which means that they tend to put in less effort to find runaways who are so close to turning 18, as opposed to someone who is younger, or might not return you home to your parents if they do run into you. However, in Texas, it is our understanding that the police can be fairly strict about runaways. It might be a good idea to reach out to them on your local police non-emergency number or 311.

It is difficult to tell exactly what would happen because we are not legal experts and are not familiar with all the laws that might be related to your question. It might be a good idea to think of what you would do in different scenarios, like if you were to get your own place, what might it look like for you and how would you support yourself. It can be helpful to think about what you might do if your parents file a runaway report, or if you decide to stay home, what you might do to help your situation.

We’re so glad you reached out and if you have any more questions, or want to brainstorm some ideas, please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us online. We’re available 24/7, and we’re completely confidential. We wish you the best of luck with everything!

Take care,
      NRS

• I live in Texas, and I want to move out when I'm 17, which is in a month. My parent's are willing to give permission but we don't know if verbal permission is enough or if there are forms that we need to fill out. I can't find any information about this online.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that your parent are okay with giving you permission to move out. That’s great that you have their support! We’re not legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is still considered a minor. An option you can explore would be to contact your local non-emergency phone number in your city and state, and inquire if you will need written permission or documentation. You can also consider waiting another month to move out on your own, since you will be 18.

We hope these options and resources have been of some help. If you need additional sources, or want us to call somewhere on your behalf, you can reach out to us anytime at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!

• Hi I’m 17 and 9 months . My birthday is in March . Since the age of 15 I’ve had to get a job and pay for everything . Because I have a girlfriend . Well she moved in and I pay the electricity and anything and everything for myself . My girlfriend had a full time job and we have our own car . My parents keep me here for the benefits. Such as food stamps and section 8 . We argue constantly and I need to move out of this house . Can I move out without them getting me in trouble and calling the police ? I live in Fort Collins , Colorado.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are in a very stressful environment and want some information about moving out when you are under 18. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
      On the other hand, since you are close to 18, the police may choose not to follow up. It really is at their discretion. If you want to talk through some more options you can contact us at 1800-Runaway. Best of luck!

• Hello, my girlfriend is 17 years old and she needs to leave her house. She is trying to figure out how to run away legally but is afraid to take any measures or confront her parents about it (her dad used to be abusive). I am researching things for her because everything she does online is closely monitored. They also have prohibited her from seeing me because I "am a bad influence for saying that they shouldn't hit her." Please we need help and we live in Bulverde, Tx. Could you maybe call the Bulverde PD for us to see how they would handle a 17 year old runaway situation? Does she need to declare she is moving out, or file for emancipation (she cant 100% support herself yet but I and some of our friends are willing to help)? Will I or my family be charged for harboring a fugitive if she stays with me? We kind of need answers fast as she does not feel safe in that home any longer. Also would the dad be allowed to pursue her and forcibly remove her? She is afraid as well if she tells him where he is going he might hurt her and or the people she is with. She does not want to go into a shelter or a group home either...please help us.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to NRS. It sounds like your girlfriend is not safe at home and is considering her options for leaving. You are a really supportive partner for advocating on her behalf and trying to help as best you can. We are not legal experts here at NRS by any means, but we can share our knowledge of the legal issues involved in your girlfriend's situation.

Generally speaking, if a minor (someone under the age of 1 leaves home without permission, their parents do have the right to report them as a runaway. Even if your girlfriend notifies her parents that she is moving out and going somewhere safe, they still have the option of reporting her as a runaway. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense (something you cannot do because of your age). This means that if your girlfriend's parents know where she is staying then they can have the police return her home. Police generally do not actively search for runaways, but if she comes into contact with law enforcement then they would likely notify her parents. However, some counties in Texas do not pursue runaway reports for someone so close to 18 and in that case they would not force her home. Being charged with harboring a runaway is possible although it does not happen frequently. We cannot say for sure what the Bulverde PD's protocol is but you can call their non-emergency number to ask anonymously about their runaway and harboring. Questions such as "We can also call on your behalf if you call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929.

Being granted emancipation by a judge would mean that your girlfriend would have all of the rights of a legal adult, including the freedom to choose where she lives. Emancipation can be a lengthy and difficult process as your girlfriend would have to prove to a judge that she can live independently and financially support herself.

If your girlfriend feels like she is in immediate physical danger she can call 911 for emergency assistance. Your girlfriend's safety is very important and she knows better than anyone when it would be the best and safest time time leave. Running away is not illegal, so she would not get into legal trouble if she feels she needs to leave. She is also welcome to call us or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org 24/7 if she would like to talk more in detail about her situation to explore her possible options.

• Hi I am 17 years old I turn 18 in May and I wanna leave home now I’m really fed up with being at home and it’s more with religious matters and my dad has told me before that if we don’t want to go buy his rules we can leave if our parents want us back would the police make us come back? I was curious cause I know in different states different laws apply and I live in Oklahoma City o.k.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

• i turn 17 next week and i want to move out how can i get paperwork for my parents and i to sign for me to move out

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out! It sounds like you may be in a situation you are unhappy in, but are doing everything you can to remove yourself from it. We really appreciate you asking for help.

In some states, there is a process called emancipation. It can grant underage youth the ability to act as their own caregivers. In most states, you would have to prove you can financially sustain yourself and be an independent person. With the permission of your parents, it can go more smoothly than when you file without their permission. Here at NRS, we are not legal experts, but we can get you in contact with a free to very cheap local legal resource that can help get this process going for you.

If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat us through our website (https://www.1800runaway.org) and we would love to help support you by looking up a local legal resource for you. Thank you so much for contacting us. We are open 24/7 and would love to help you in whatever way we can!

Best of luck,
      NRS

• Okay I'm 17 I moved out like 4 months ago and my father knows I did and they don't have a problem with it I want to move a couple hours away could I get in trouble for it or the person I'm staying with could they get in trouble my father hasn't told me to come back or anything I'm a month away from being 18

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

At 17 the easiest way to leave home is with your parent's permission or if they do not file you as a runaway when you move. So if your dad knows that you moved and is okay with it, you would not be listed as a runaway. If your dad is not okay with it and contacts police, that is when you could be listed as a runaway.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you have any other questions or if you would like to talk through your situation.

Best,

NRS

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

• I live in the state of ny with my dad and step mom and it’s really not a healthy situation. I would love to move back to my home town in maine with my bestfriend and her mom who took care of me before. How much trouble could I get into if I had left on my 17th birthday?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you may be going through a rough time right now.
      We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you home. Running away is not illegal so you most likely would not get arrested but it is possible that you could be brought back home. Also it is a possibility that whoever you stayed with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• Hi, I live in Iowa and I am 17 years old. I will be 18 in September. My house is filled with constant negativity. There is constant yelling and arguments. Both parents tend to make rude comments to make us kids feel small. I am treated like I am 12 years old. I can’t drive, they shut my phone off so I had to purchase my own with my own plan, they won’t let me see my boyfriend because they don’t like him. I am stressed all the time. The only time I ever am happy is when I am not at home. I have depression, so being at home constantly brings me down terribly. I have a toxic sibling as well that is constantly calling me names, and making me upset on purpose. I have told them how I feel many times, and they don’t really care at all. They never take anything seriously and only care about their own opinion. I have wanted to move out since I was 15 and it’s just getting worse and worse everyday. I have staff members at my school that are willing to take me in. I currently have a job, but I’m not sure if I make enough to prove I can live on my own. I plan to get a better job as soon as I get out of here. What could happen if I leave? Would the people in staying with get in trouble? If I call the police department and make them aware of the situation, would it make it better? I just need to get out and actually be happy. What can I do?
    Is running away illegal? How old do I have to be before I leave home? What is emancipation? We can address these legal questions and more about runaway and homeless youth on this board.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thank you so much for reaching out to us today. We are sorry to hear about your situation and how your house is filled with negativity. You don’t deserve to be treated like a kid or have your parents make rude comments. It is also unfair that you aren’t allowed to drive and have to pay for your own phone and plan since they shut yours off. It is understandable that being at home makes you feel more depressed and that you have wanted to move out for so long. It is great that you currently have a job and are planning on getting an even better one once you move out! We are glad that you are asking questions and looking for answers, we will do everything we can to help you out.

To begin, we are not legal experts here at NRS. Although running away itself is not a crime, it is possible that the people you end up staying with could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. It really depends on if your parents decide to file a runaway report and then to press charges against those people. If there is evidence of physical abuse then that may help your case, yet if there is not then telling the police might not do much unfortunately, but nothing is certain. If you are open to calling your local police station then perhaps you could ask them a few questions you have about the legalities of your situation that fall in your town. Turning to look at how you mentioned that you have depression, we would like to offer the National Alliance on Mental Illness at 1-800-950-6264 as a resource. This hotline is free, confidential and available 24-7. If you would like to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929, we are also available 24-7, confidential and free of charge. We offer to help by providing resources and information as well as provide guidance.

Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, here to help.

• I live in GA and I've thought a lot about moving out because I feel like I'm suffocating at home. I'm am fully aware that it's not going to be easy and I'm prepared to go through some rough patches. I would be moving out and renting an apartment with a friend and her co worker, both of them 18. The thing is I'm 17 but I don't think I'll make it to my 18 living like I am with my parents, don't get me wrong I love them but my home life is very controlled. I have no freedom whatsoever and their way of helping me and guiding me consists of isolating me from eveyrthing. I'm not allowed anywhere by myself. I wanted to know the legal repercussions of moving out without their consent but everywhere I look it's a different answer. I would like help please
    Last edited by ccsmod7; Yesterday, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for contact National Runaway Safeline. It can be very difficult to live in an environment where you feel like you have no freedom.
      We’re not legal experts, but we can provide some general information that may be helpful. In Georgia, a person is considered an adult at age 18. Until that time, your parents or guardian are responsible for you. If you choose to run away, it is not illegal. It’s considered a status offense. The police can handle runaways in various ways. It really depends on the individual department. Some may actively look for you, while others may return you to your parents if you happen to have a run in with the police. You can always contact your local non-emergency police department and ask anonymously how they handle runaways.

Choosing to leave is a big decision. It’s good that you’re thinking your next steps through. One thing to consider is that many times landlords will not rent to someone under 18. If you’d like more help thinking through your decision, we can help explore your options. You can contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org. We wish you the best of luck.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X