No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 legally

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Hello my name is skylar harris and i am 17 i am going through so much right now my mom was burnt she is physically disabled so many many different things have happened in my life and i feel like i cannot trust anybody i can't be at my moms house anymore everything seems like its about her and i cannot have my own life i can't go to my dads because he dosen't care i have noone to call i just getting to the point i don't know what to do. What can i do for myself to be able to get out of this mess.


    • ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It seems like you are going through a really difficult time right now. It can be hard to feel like people do not care but just know we are here for you and there is always someone willing to listen. One option to consider is talking with your school counselor about your situation, they may be able to provide you with resources. If you do decide to leave you can always call us and we can help you look for safe places to go.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support.

  • #92
    Hello my name is Anthony Micheal Muma I live in Hudson Michigan and I am 17 years old. I am having some trouble moving on in life cause of my parents especially my dad. My dad is mentally abusive and I live in fear of him every day. And both my parents will not help me with my schooling and refuse to let me get a job until my online schooling if fully complete. I feel like the only way I can actually get anywhere in life is if I move out with my closest friend and family friend. He and his family basically already take care of me for I stay the night every night as it is. But I am scared to talk to my mom about it and even more scared about my dad knowing I just wanna leave. Is it possible under these circumstances that I could move out to my friends house legally? I also kinda talked to my mom about it and asked that if I got school done I could get a job and move in with my friend and she said yes but now I plan to move out before I finish it and think she will not allow me too.


    • ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment

      You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

      You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your dad. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

      One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom why you want to leave and why getting a job is so important to you. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove