No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 legally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I’m 16 and I’ll be 17 in September I live in Arkansas I was wondering do I have to come home when I turn 17 because I’ve been wanting to move out when I lived in Oklahoma the police
    told me when I turned 17 my parents can’t tell me to come home so I’m wondering if it’s the same for here in Arkansas

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. While we’re not legal experts, it is our understanding that as a minor, your legal guardian determines where you live. Leaving without permission from your parents entitles them to file a runaway report which usually allows the police to notify your guardians and take you home should they encounter you. However, we are aware of the fact that in some places, police do not pursue runaway reports on 17 year olds because they are so close to the age of majority. The best way to find out if the police in your county do or do not pursue 17 year old runaways would be to ask them via their local non-emergency number.

We would be happy to discuss your situation in greater detail and figure out what other options there may be. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

So I’m 17 & I live in Houston TX, and I was wondering if i can legally move out, like I already work, maintain my own self& I was wondering if I go to the court & just tell them everything would it be possible for them to let me

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Do I have to go through emancipation if I have a parents consent to leave home(I'm 17). I have 7 months until I turn 18 but I absolutely can't stand my mother and her boyfriend; they kicked me out before and when they found me they acted liked they cared. They disgust me.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are pretty fed up living with your mother and her boyfriend. It's not okay that they kicked you out before. If they kick you out again, you do have the right to go to police or report the possible neglect to child protective services (CPS). Here at NRS we truly want to be a support for you, and you can always reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us at www.1800runaway.org.

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to her. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you.

Best,

NRS

Hi I am from *********, Tx and I turn 18 in 9 days. Me and my mom have been arguing for at least the past 6 months constantly. My parents are divorced so I would like to move with him. I don’t know if I should just move with him or wait until my birthday since these past few days have gotten worse. Also, is there any way my brother could move too since he is 8.
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 07-02-2019, 12:10 AM. Reason: identifying

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a difficult situation wanting to leave your mom's place 9 days before you become a legal adult.

We are not legal experts but we can answer your question generally. In Texas, it's up to local police with how they address 17 year old runaway situations, especially when you only have 9 days to go. They could decline to take a report for you, or they could take a report and not actively look for you. If you go to your dad's place and your dad has partial custody rights over you, police could see it as a civil issue rather than a runaway issue and not get involved. You might try to reach out to your local non-emergency number to see if they would take a runaway report for you with 9 days to go. You might also reach out to your dad to see if it is okay if you move in with him 9 days early. You could ask your dad about what custody rights he has over you as well to see if it is legal for you to stay there.

If you’d like additional support or resources please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours, 7 days a week or chat with us online by going to www.1800RUNAWAY.org.

I'm 17 living in Indiana I was wondering could I be arrested if I leave my dads house he treats me like crap always putting me down and I'm getting really tired of it. I already have money put back a decent paying job a truck and a apartment I'm looking at but I don't know if I could be arrested if I do leave could you please help me out.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I've been on this page several times. And still not getting a straight answer. I am asking this for a friend bc he is too scared of what will happened if he posts on here. His questions are.
    can you move out at 17 without parents permission when he is adopted?
    he recently got in trouble with him and his brother and his parents threw away there beds and went to the extent and rip out there carpet and him and his brother were sleeping on that hard scruffy wood boards with a blanket as there beds. can he take this to a court to get emancipated. Isthat enough? He now sleeps onthe couch and the brothers sleeps on a mattress but he was upset that his parents would not by them a bed bcthey didnot haveenough money but they went to Alaska so there for they did have money but did not care.
    can you move out and live with a friend over 19 he gets steady paychecks and saves money too from what he told me. But hewants to do that and live with his friend bc of that and other familyreasons

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      First of all, that sounds like a difficult situation for your friend to be in. It’s great that you are reaching out for him.
      It sounds like your friend’s situation may classify as neglect. If he or you feels he is being neglected, either of you could file a report with the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or online at childhelp.org.
      We are not legal experts, but we can tell you what we know about how these situations typically go. If your friend lives somewhere without his parents’ permission, he would be considered a runaway. This is not a crime, but instead it’s considered a status offense. This just means that if the police were to pick up your friend, they would send him back to live with his parents.
      In most states, the first and most important qualification for emancipation is that the young person needs to be financially independent, meaning they need an income source of their own and they need to be able to afford to live on their own. If your friend wishes to get emancipated, it would require him to get a lawyer. If your friend wants more information about emancipation, he can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. For most states, we have contact information for lawyers and details about state-specific requirements.
      Again, it really sounds like your friend is dealing with a lot right now, and please let him know that we are completely confidential if he wants to talk to us. That means we won’t take identifying information and whatever we discuss stays between him and the person he talks to. He can call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach us online at 1800runaway.org. If you want to call instead, that’s also fine. We’re here 24/7 and we’re ready to listen and help.

Hi, my name is David I am from Wisconsin. So I am adopted and me and my family get into fights all the time and I am 16 years old and I want to live with my biological dad is there anyway I can move out at that age? Or get someone to help me??

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      First, we are sorry to hear about all the fights going on at home. That’s got to be tough to deal with. You ask a really great question. Legally, you are required to live with your guardians till you are 18 unless they provide other safe arrangements for you in which your needs are cared for. One option you may have is to simply ask permission from your adoptive guardian(s) to live with your biological dad.
      If you don’t have permission to leave and decide to leave anyway your guardians can make a runaway report on you and anyone you stay with could be considered harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Running away is not a crime, however. It is a status offense, though, which means that you could be detained by police until they release you to your guardians.
      It’s possible you may have other options, but we’d like to know more about your situation before we brainstorm more ideas with you. We’d love to hear from you if you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are anonymous and confidential and are here 24/7. We also have a chat option if you are more comfortable with that. You can chat with us by clicking on the chat button on our main webpage.
      Hope to hear from you soon. Stay safe!
      -NRS

I'm 17 years old and I have a lot of things going on at home. We have been staying at my grandmas down the road from my house in a camper cause some people with guns have been prowling in my yard, my grandmas and my uncles who lives across the street for the past month and cops won't do much about it around here. My mom has also bee threatening to send me and my brothers off to mental hospitals if we're fighting, my mom also been trying to leave a few times when she fights with the family. Yesterday she packed and left and came back about an hour or two later. I really would like to move out but I don't want to get in trouble with the law. What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - it sounds like life in your neighborhood can get pretty scary. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents.

It sounds like your mom isn’t listening to you when you are trying to express your thoughts and feelings about your current situation and instead threatens to send you away. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

Hi, a couple moving out both 17,
    both of our parents are divorced, i really need to be emancipated because I have 2 months left of being 17 nd we’ve been homeless for 3 days now. We’re not welcomed to live together in any home and we cant afford rent yet. Any advise at all?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a pretty difficult time right now.
      You mentioned how you would like to become emancipated but turn 18 in two months. We are not legal experts but we do have some general knowledge of the laws. The emancipation process usually takes longer than two months but you can always call your local court house and ask about the length of the process. Usually in order to become emancipated they would need you to show that you are independently financially stable which includes being able to pay rent on your own.
      You mentioned not being able too live in any home, you could consider living separate until you have finances to live together. If you need a place to stay you could look online at NationalHomelessShelterDirectory.org. You can also always call us and we can help you look for shelter options.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore your options further please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you.
      Best of Luck!
      NRS

i need help getting out of a abusive household im 3 months from being 18 and my dad is a drunk and he makes fun of me for being bisexaul and calls me nasty names all the time and he beats me

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry to hear about what you’re going through with your dad. You don’t deserve to be beaten and you don’t deserve to have your sexuality be made fun of. Your sexuality is your own and it is valid. Please don’t let him make you feel it’s not.

Abuse like what you’re going through is never okay. If you’re comfortable with it, you might want to consider reporting this abuse. Making a report could help keep you safe in the future. If that’s something you want to think or talk about, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can help walk you through the abuse reporting process. Or you can call Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) at 1-800-422-4453 and they can help you.

And if you ever feel like you’re in immediate danger from your dad, please don’t hesitate to call 9-1-1 or to leave the house/situation. You absolutely have the right to keep yourself safe. You might want to start thinking about safe places you can go now – another family member’s house or a friend’s – so if you find yourself needing to leave, you already know what your plan will be.

Another resource you might want to look into is The LGBT National Youth Talkline. You can reach them at 1-800-246-7743. Their hotline is operated by people familiar with situations like yours and, if nothing else, they can be good listeners for you to talk to.

Again, we are so sorry to hear about everything you’re experiencing. If you ever want to talk about it, you can call us anytime, 24/7. We wish you luck and hope everything will get better for you.

i am a 16 year old girl. and my dad is in prison and i currently am staying with my stepmom and i do not get along with her and i want to live with my sister and he dad. he’s my old stepdad. i turn 17 on the 20th. can i leave? i also live in abilene texas

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      We're glad you reached out to us. We'll try to help. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation.

As far as moving out, it depends in part on who is your legal guardian. However, if you run away from your home and your parents file a runaway report, the police might look for you and return you home if they find you. If you haven't done so already, you might talk to your sister and stepdad and see if you can move in with them on an informal basis.

If you'd like to talk more about the situation and see what other options you might have call us at 1800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24/7 and are confidential.

Good luck.

Good morning, I was wondering is it legal for my step daughter to leave her mother's home and come live with her father and me when she will be 18 in less then 3 months. We all currently live in California but her father and I are moving back east and want her to go with us but do not want to get in trouble. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. If your step daughter leaves before turning 18 her legal guardian still does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find her they most likely will bring her back home.
      Some police departments are different and may not take a runaway report if the youth is that close to being 18. One option to consider is calling your local non-emergency police department and asking how they would handle that situation. When calling you are able to call anonymously if you wish.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. Best of luck!
      NRS

My mom and I fight a lot and have been going to my boyfriend a lot crying saying that I want to leave my house, but because of us living in different states were confused on which laws we should follow. He lives in Kansas and I live in New York. He is 17 and I'm 16, but by the time we'll be moving in together he'll be 18 and I'll be 17

Comment

• ccsmod11
      ccsmod11 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like there is a lot going on right now with you and your mom fighting and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.

For both Kansas and New York the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission is 18. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. We would be happy to search for legal resources, too, if that’s something you are considering.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you'd like to talk in more detail about your situation or have any questions please call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us (www.1800RUNAWAY.org) as we can best help by phone or chat. Best, NRS

Hi, I'm a 17 year old female from Wisconsin. I have parents who use to abuse me physically, but ever since contacting the police they stopped. But they always verbally abuse me which later on ends up to me hurting myself. I can't take the stress and verbal abuse anymore. Plus my parents drink a lot and expect me to pay all their bills. My dad walked out on his job and my mom is working and I work a part time job. I have grandparents who are willing to take me to live with them, but my parents don't have good terms with my grandparents. I'm at my breaking point where I don't know what to do. This has been going on for years.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time. Any type of abuse is unacceptable and you do not deserve to be treated that way. You could consider calling the police again or contacting Child Help to make a report. They can be contacted at 1800-422-4453, you can also contact us to make a report.
      You mentioned hurting yourself, your safety is our top concern. You could consider talking to a therapist or school counselor about what is going on. Also there are a few resources that may be useful to you in your situation. You can contact NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses), they can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI. Another great resource is SAMHSA (substance abuse and mental health services administration), they can be reached at 1800-726-4727.
      You mentioned waning to leave, we are not legal experts but do have some information. If you were to leave your legal guardian could file a runaway report on you. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home. Some police departments may not take a runaway report on a 17 year old but it depends on the police department.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
      NRS

I am 17 going to be 18 in a month. I have ran away and am trying to move out. I live in lawrenceburg Tennessee and am wondering if my mom can force me to come home.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Great question. Technically, until you are 18 your parents have the right to file a runaway report on you if you leave home without permission. Running away isn't a crime, but the police could detain you until they release you to your mom. Furthermore, anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. However, sometimes the local police do not take runaway reports as seriously if someone is very close to turning 18. The best way to find out for sure how the authorities would handle this would be to call your local police non-emergency number and ask them if they accept runaway reports for 17 year-olds or what the consequences would be for someone in your situation.

If you'd like further assistance in figuring out what you'd like to do, give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online through our website's main page chat feature.

Good luck and stay safe!

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X