Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 legally

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi so I’m thinking of moving out because my parents are making me do things that I don’t believe in and don’t want to do (religious things not anything bad)but anyways I am so done with them too because they’re always arguing and bring my hopes down when I talk to them abt my future and what I want to be so I’d rather go live somewhere else and prove to them that I don’t need them in order to achieve what I can do.I live in Massachusetts and I want to know if there is like a foster home or like a homeless cabin for us teenagers to go for awhile until I turn 18

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out us and telling us what you’re going through. It sounds like you’re going through a rough time at home. We’re here to listen and help the best way we can.
      You mentioned that you’re thinking about leaving home. If you do leave without your parents’ permission, that would be considered running away. You can’t get arrested for running away since it’s not illegal. Something to keep in mind though is if you’re staying with someone who knows about your situation, they could face charges of harboring running away if the police find you there.
      One option might be emancipation. We aren’t legal experts, but we can give you some general information. In Massachusetts, there isn’t a formal procedure but you would probably need to file a petition with the Probate and Family Court in your county. A judge would most likely determine if the petition is granted.
      There might also be other options depending on your situation. If you’d like to explore what those options might be, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out to us on our chat line at www.1800runaway.org. We’re sorry that you are having a difficult time at home. Stay safe!

I live in **** Oklahoma I’m 17 and me and my mom always fight 24/7 I need to move out
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 11-04-2018, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you and your mom are really going through it, and you are wanting to move out at 17. We are not legal experts but we can talk generally about what leaving home at 17 in Oklahoma could look like.

The easiest way for you to leave home at 17 is with permission from your guardian. If you leave home without permission, your mom may file a runaway report with the police. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However,sometimes local police have different protocols for older 17 year old youth. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS

Hi, I’m 17 and will be 18 at the end of January. I really want to move out because I feel like a burden on my moms life. I have no financial support for my senior year, and I mostly have the responsibility to pay for everything myself. We get into arguments about money mostly because that’s all she thinks about instead of my feelings. I live in Lewisville and wanted to know what steps I should take to leave?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I’m from Hawaii and me and my mom doesn’t really talk to Each other anymore and when my mom found out that I liked girls we got into a huge fight where my siblings had to hop in smh

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

I’m from Hawaii Ouha and is will be 17 next week I wanna move out cause I’m doing my mother’s job and is watching kids cooking dinner and cleaning house I’m not able to leave home to anywhere unless it’s for school or a family things I need to move ASAP plz lmk
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-07-2018, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Reply: I’m from Hawaii Ouha

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      It sounds like you have been given a lot of responsibility for watching children and maintaining the household chores. You should be commended for stepping to this huge task.
      Sometimes things can become overwhelming and frustrating at the same time. It’s understandable as to why you would feel the way you do.
      It would probably make things less stressful if you had some form of escapism. Something to do so you can relax and spend some time just doing something for you.
      The frustration has lead you to feel that you would like to move out and be on your own.
      That seems like it would take having a plan on surviving on your own.
      We would be glad to listen to you about your plan to move out.

Sometimes talking things out might ignite some ideas and options that maybe has not been thought of. You are not alone. NRS is here to listen and here to help. We want you to know we are here to support you during this difficult time.
      If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore some options, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org
      You did such a great job reaching out today. And you are doing a great job taking care of things at home. We hope you feel better for having a chance to express your feelings.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X