No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 legally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in Amarillo TX, and I'm about 6 to 5 months to turning 17. And I am wondering what I need to do before moving out. My mom and I are always going at it. I have a place to live, I don’t have my ID yet and I don't have a job. But the home I'm going with is nice and stable. And they told me they could help me in any way possible, I know them personally, and I told them I would help them as well. What do I do when it comes to the point where I have to sign up for a public school? Do I put them as my guardians? And what happens when I move out? I need these questions answered please. Thank you.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 06-16-2018, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Reply: I live in Amarillo TX......

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      It sounds like you are thinking about leaving home and going to stay with some people you feel comfortable with. You might consider contacting the school district about their enrollment policies. Since your parent’s are your legal guardians they may require that you need them to enroll in school.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I am 17 years and 3 months old with a 2 month old baby. I ran away a year ago from my mom and stepdad because of so many problems we were having . there was a time where my stepdad was about to beat me until my sister called the cops and he stopped grabbing me, i only had bruises and red marks so the cops didn’t do anything. they believed my parents rather than me and so months later i left because i felt cops couldn’t even help. before i left my mom said she didn’t care but when i did she reported me as a missing child and for 10 months i was missing. i kept in contact with her and started to get along with her again and she persuaded me to come back home so she can help me with my baby but ever since i got here there has been problems again. this time my stepdad is saying i can leave and that it’s his house my mom says she doesn’t agree with me leaving but she won’t do anything. i know you guys aren’t legal experts but i live in the state of virginia is there any way you know if this time i could leave with my parents consent of me leaving but not emancipated? i know in some states i’m automatically emancipated because i have a child. what is your advice on what i should do ?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear about the issues you are facing at home with your family. Having a baby does not automatically mean you are emancipated. There are three ways you could leave home as a minor, the first would be with parental consent. It sounds like your parents don't really care if you leave again, so if you could try getting something in writing that states they give you permission to leave home. Another option that you have for leaving home is contacting CPS, or through emancipation. You have to do what is best for you and your baby. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), or live chat.

Hi I'm 16. I will be 17 this year. I can't stand to live with my parents any longer. All the stupid arguments. And my axienty has been terrible were I won't eat,sleep or anything in my house enleast I'm really hungry or thirsty. I resent got a job and I feel like I'm being used for money please help

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about what you have been facing at home and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your parents could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through any other options such as emancipation, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Hi I’m gina and I turned 17 in May 21 and my parents been getting mad at me well my dad because he says that I won’t let them sleep cause I watch movies and I’m trying to move out ,because I think they just want me to get out

Comment

• ccsmod0
              ccsmod0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello, Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a hard time living at home with your parents because they always get mad at you for small things that you do. We cannot imagine how aggravating that must be for you. Perhaps you can consider using our conference calling service, this is a service where you would call us and we would hold a conference call between you and your parents to talk about how both sides are feeling. We would serve as mediators, we are not here to necessarily choose sides but rather help come up with a solution that would make the situation at home better. This might be helpful to you if you have concerns about your parents not listening or not being open to hear what you have to say. If you feel like this is a service that you would find useful you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you. If you need anything please give us a call 1-800-786-2929
              Best wishes,
              NRS

I'm 17 my mom talks deal to me all the time and is rude like calls me names, bullys me I can't handle it anymore and I want to leave but I don't want to do it not knowing if it's illegal don't get me wrong I love my mom I just can't live with her any more I live in Bakersfield California please respond fast

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your mom could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. It is a status offense to run away. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through other options with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS

Comment

Hi I'm 17 and I live in tennessee me and mom never get along and recently things have been getting worse. I'll be 18 in five months. If I runaway from nashville to ******** tennessee what could happen and I have a place to stay and it's safe
                Last edited by ccsmod7; 08-23-2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
                  ccsmod7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like not getting along with your mom has really taken a toll on you. That cannot be easy to deal with and here at NRS we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

It sounds like you are planning on leaving home before turning 18 and would like to know what it could look like. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian in Tennessee. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. Sometimes local police have different protocols for older 17 year olds.

We hope this information is helpful!

Please call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation or need any resources. We are here to listen, here to help.

Best,

NRS

Hi,I hope I'm posting in the right place. Okay so my grandma has custody of me but she's really manipulative and controlling and she gets crazy if she doesn't get her way. She threw something at me when I told her I didn't want to go to the school she wanted me to and she used to pretend to leave and would only come back if I'd call her crying begging her to come back. She did this a lot when I was age 11 and under. I feel her antics are the reason I have a panic disorder and depression. I live in a Dallas county and wanted to know if I could legally leave to live with my Mom at 17 since I want to go to college near my mom's and I'll be turning 17 right before I start college. My Mom lives in Springtown,TX. I think it's in Fort Worth County but I'm not sure. Also I believe I already know that I need consent from my grandma to go to a college if I'm under 18 but I fear she can consent to me going to the college but not let me leave home even though I live an over hour away from Weatherford Community College (the college I'm trying to go to to get my core classes done before Nursing school). I also really want to live with my Mom because I haven't since I was 4 months old and from what people told me, it's because my grandma manipulated my parents so that they'd have trouble getting me back from CPS(telling them the wrong court dates, playing them against eachother)

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that you have been going through and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your grandma could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through any of the options listed above with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Another option would be reaching out to your mom and Child Help to see if you could have custody transferred to her or someone else so that you would have an easier time attending college. Child Help can be reached at 1-800-422-4453.

Stay safe,

NRS

Comment

I live with my mom and stepdad, and I don’t get along with them and don’t want to be here. I’m 17, I turn 18 in about 7 months. I live in Florida and want to move with my girlfriend to Alabama. I will still be in school and there is a steady source of income, is there anyway I can move up there?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about how you feel and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. You also mentioned wanting to leave your home before you are 18. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your parents could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for your girlfriend or whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through other options you may have with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Good luck,

NRS

Comment

Can I move out at 17 it’s only 5 weeks before my 18 birthday in thi past years I got in to constant fights and arguements. My grandma says she only torates me but she don’t really want me in her house so she says she gonna give me to my dad but if I live there imma gonna go through the same thing. I live in Virginia and I want to live in Maryland until my 18 birthday witch isNov 16

Comment

• ccsmod0
                          ccsmod0 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are glad that you are taking active steps to ensure your mental health. We were able to find a posting with a similar question to your own.
                          Originally posted by ccsmod1 View Post
                          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that you have been going through and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your grandma could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through any of the options listed above with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Another option would be reaching out to your mom and Child Help to see if you could have custody transferred to her or someone else so that you would have an easier time attending college. Child Help can be reached at 1-800-422-4453.

Stay safe,

NRS
                          Again, thanks for reaching out to us. It takes a lot of courage to standup for yourself and we want you to know that we are here to help. If you need anything else please give us a call anytime 1-800-786-2929
                          Best wishes,
                          NRS

Hi i am 17 years old am I allowed to move out at the age of 17 in texas?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                          ccsmod2 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hello There,
                          Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and listen to your situation. Unfortunately in Texas the legal age for leaving home is 18, 17 years old is still considered a minor. If you were to leave home before turning 18 you could be considered a runaway. Your parents do have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. We are not legal experts, but what that means is you would not be arrested you would most likely be returned home. Because you are 17 often times in most cases the police do not really take runaway reports for people who are 17. If you do decide to leave home you may want to consider if you have a safe place to stay, have food and water. We hope this information has helped you in your situation. If you would like to talk more about what is going on you can call us at any time, we are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck in your situation!
                          NRS
                      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X