No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 legally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the covington Georgia police Return a 17 year old to their guardian?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to help you in the best ways possible. In regards to whether or not the Covington Georgia police would return a 17 year old to their guardian, the only way to know for sure would be to call them directly. Every police department is different in regards to the cases they will pick up. Some police departments will not pick up a runaway report case of a 17 year old. However, this varies on location as well. We hope this helps answer your question in some way. Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800- RUNAWAY. We are here to talk 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We wish you the best of luck.
      -NRS

Hi,
    I live in Wisconsin and I'm 17, turning 18 in a month. Home situation is rough and my parents and I don't get along. Since I was 14 I've been planning on leaving at 18. I just can't handle it anymore and need to get out now. Me and my mom have gotten into physical fights in the past and now they like to keep me locked up in the house only allowing me to go to school. They take everything from me, I can't even see my boyfriend anymore that I've been with for a year. I have a safe place to live that I'm welcomed at but I don't know what will happen if I leave home now. My boyfriend is over 18 and if I leave my house I feel like they are going to blame it on him and think I'm with him when I'm not and he will get in trouble, when he's not involved. I just need to get out of my home environment because it isn't good for my mental health. I'm constantly stressed and just overall depressed. I don't think I can handle it there for a month longer.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thanks for reaching out today! It sounds like home is really stressful with not getting along with your parents and fighting with your mom physically.

We are not legal experts, but in Wisconsin, as far as we know, 18 is the legal age when you can leave home. Leaving before that, your parents could file a runaway report with police which just lets the police know you’re gone; if found, usually police return you home. It is not a crime to run away but anyone 18 or older could get in trouble for harboring a runaway if you stay with them. That is only if your parents want to press charges. However, things really do depend on the individual police department. Especially being so close to 18, some police will not accept a report for 17 year olds close to 18. Others take a report but do not take an active role in finding the youth and you would only get taken home if you broke the law or got injured. You can call your local non-emergency police number and ask anonymously how they handle 17 year old runaways. We can also conference call with you if you want to call us and do that. We are 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.

You also mentioned feeling depressed and it seems like you have a lot on your plate right now too, so maybe speaking with a counselor or therapist in the community could help as well. We can look up some local support groups, therapists, and programs in your area if you call or live chat us through our website. You can also look at some local counselors and groups through SAMHSA (1-877-726-4727, samhsa.gov)

You can also contact the Crisis Text Line by texting anytime, 24/7 to 741-741 and you will be connected with a trained volunteer that can discuss issues of depression and many other issues.

Thank you again for reaching out. We are here too if you want to talk more about what is going on and how you are feeling. We are here to help and you have shown a lot of strength today by posting. Be safe and feel free to reach out again anytime by phone or live chat!

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
      Last edited by ccsmod16; 03-16-2018, 12:55 PM.

Ok so I am 17 with a child And I live in Timpson Texas and I no longer live with parents can Iegally live with a 32 year old man if I have not been living under my parents for a few months now

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and support.

We are not legal experts, but generally speaking the only way you and whomever you live with could get in trouble is if your parent or legal guardian files a runaway report. If they do, you could be returned home and whomever you are with could face legal consequences. If you do not believe that your parents will file that report, then you would most likely not face any legal trouble. One thing you could do would be to reach out to your local police station to ask questions about your specific situation. If you think your parents would file a report, you could also reach out to the police to inquire about how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds as some cities handle them differently. You can also give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we could talk more specifically about your situation and walk through these options with you.

Let us know how we can best help,

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Okay so me and my mom's boyfriend get into it all the time and he drinks and emotionally abuses us kids. If I were to leave at 17 and tell my mom where I was could try to get the police to get me back ??. And as long we have somewhere to go that has food, water and etc... Could we leave ??

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thank you so much for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re so sorry to hear you’re dealing with this. You definitely don’t deserve to be treated this way. Since you mentioned are experiencing abuse, you may choose to file an abuse report through Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. They can also help you with any questions you may have about abuse and what options you have.
          It sounds like you’re thinking about telling your mom you’d like to leave. That’s so thoughtful of you to make sure she knows where you are. It also sounds like you are thinking of bringing someone with you if you leave. If your mom files a runaway report, the police may possibly try to bring you home. However, while we’re not legal experts, we can tell you that each police station handles runaway reports differently, especially since you’re so close to 18.
          We may be able to better help you by talking through all the details of your situation. You can reach us by calling our hotline at 1-800-786-2929, or by chat via our website. Again we’re so glad you reached out to us, and wish you the best!

Hi, I am Seventeen years old and I stay in Georgia. I was once in a custody battle. I used to live with a woman who I still see from time to time. I no longer live with her and live with my biological mother. I no longer want to be here because I am neglected, and I feel as if she does not want to see me succeed. I was abused by her some time ago and i wanted to leave then, but was told i had to wait until i turned seventeen. I wanted to know if i could be arrested or have to come back if I went back to live with the woman who raised me. I cant take it anymore and would like to leave.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear that you are being neglected at home. If you ever feel as though you are in immediate danger, we encourage you to contact 911. You have the right to report the neglect and previous abuse. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource for abuse reporting and information on how to transfer custody. You could also try contacting Child Protective Services, they would conduct an investigation and if they determine that you aren't safe at home, they will remove you from your home. Another option that you have is asking your mom if she would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. It sounds like you are thinking of leaving home and staying with the woman that raised you. If you decide to leave your mom's home without permission, she has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Although running away is not illegal, if you decide to stay with the woman, she could get charged with harboring a runaway. We hope this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any other questions or just want to talk.

Hi my name is Brayton small and I want to leave my gaurdians and move tomorrow my fathers house because I don't feel safe or loved were I live I'm 17 years old in Payson Utah and I just want to know if I could leave them and go live with my dad. My gaurdians are my aunt and uncle and I don't feel safe there and is why I live with them is because my mom was a drug addict and my gaurdians are smoking pot I know that it isn't that bad of a drug but I still don't like it because. Drugs have ruined life and I want to move to my dad's with him and my step mom I just want to know if I can do that or not. Please answer soon I need help.

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to be able to explain your specific situation to us. It sounds like you are going through a stressful situation and we are sorry you have to go through this tough time. No one should feel unloved and you deserve to feel safe where you live. Because you are 17 years old, if you were to runaway, your guardians could file a runaway report. If you were to live with your father and stepmother, they could run into problems with the police as they are technically harboring a runaway. However, if your guardians gave you permission to live with your mother and father, they would not run into legal issues because you would not be classified as a runaway. It might be beneficial to talk to a social worker, school counselor, or teacher about your situation as they might be able to give you more information as to what you can do. Because your guardians are smoking marijuana, depending on marijuana legalization in your state, you could perhaps tell a mandated reporter such as a school counselor that you are uncomfortable with their smoking marijuana where you live. Depending on the specific situation legally with your father handing over custody rights to your aunt and uncle, you might be able to live with him and your step mother.

You can always give us a call if you want to discuss your situation in more detail. We are always available to talk 24 hours a day 7 days a week. You can also chat or email us at [email protected] . We wish you the best of luck.
          -NRS

Hello. I’m from Missouri and are 17 years old. I moved out of parents house a month ago and my dad told me to leave and he never wanted to see me. I live with my girlfriend and I still talk to my mom and she’s been fine with me living with my girlfriend for a while and told me she will tell the cops it’s fine but now she doesn’t agree and is talking to my dad and listening to him. She told me I’m technically a runaway but said she was fine with it. And I went to the cops the night I left and told them how my dad said he would tell them how I runaway. And ten they told me they couldn’t do anything and wouldn’t take me back to my parents. The night when I moved out my friend and his gf and my gf was there and saw my dad scream in my face and his girlfriend and told me to leave.

Comment

• ccsmod11
          ccsmod11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us about what appears to be a difficult time between you and your family. I’m sure you must be enduring a lot between the issues with your parents and trying to adjust to a more independent life, and we wish you the best of luck.

Firstly, we’re sorry to hear that your dad told you to leave home. We understand how difficult this can be, and this can even be considered neglect by a variety of police departments. We’re glad you have a girlfriend who is supporting you during this time, and we encourage you to explore other support networks.

We’re not lawyers, but it is our understanding that your parents are entitled to file you as a runaway if you are away from home without their consent, regardless of whether they ever gave you permission to leave. Your parents are essentially entitled to change their minds unless you got written permission signed by a court. This is usually still the case even if your dad threw you out. Only once a runaway report is filed will police search for a youth. If the police find you because you were filed as a runaway, you’re likely to just be returned home without being arrested or fined. If this happens, you can tell the police your dad threw you out, and they may be able to get CPS involved, or they may choose to charge your dad with neglect. They may choose another course of action, but we are not affiliated with the police and won’t be able to tell you what they will or will not do. However, since you’ve already talked to the police, they may choose not to investigate your runaway report based on what you’ve told them. They may also choose not to investigate your runaway report because you are 17. Again, we aren’t sure what the police will do, but we know that some jurisdictions act in the ways we’ve described.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think.

Hi my name is trey and I’m 17 and my parents are rushing me too move out and I want to but I don’t know what the police will do to me if I do run away and I would like to know what I am able to do

Comment

Hi can I move out without my parent consent I’m 17 in a half I live in Houston Texas I have a 18 month baby and I can’t take it at my house I can’t really go out and I argue with my mom and sister all the time they don’t understand or anything I don’t have much freedom and I wanna move out but i don’t if I can my bf and his family said it’s fine for me to stay there he is also the father of my baby but i can’t take it here at my house n I need to know what can I do

Comment

• ccsmod0
            ccsmod0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello, Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Saffeline. After reading your post we are sympathetic to your situation. We were able to find another posting that a user made that is quite similar. We have attached it to this reply. If you have any follow up questions please give us a call. 1-800-786-2929
            Originally posted by Guest View Post
            Can I legally move out at 17. I have 112 days until I’m 18, but I can’t live here anymore. My parents and I do not get along; we are always arguing. Sometimes it’s even me and my siblings. I have gotten to the point to where I can’t take it anymore I want to move out. I hate living here and I hate everyone here.
            Hey there,
            Thanks for contacting NRS, via our forum. We appreciate that you’re reaching out in your time of need, we are always here to help in any way we can.
            It sounds like home life has been stressful due to a lot of arguing in the home. It is completely understandable that you need to get out of that environment and into a more peaceful one.
            Generally speaking, running away is not illegal and is often considered a status offense (i.e. truancy, breaking curfew). However, parents are allowed to file runaway reports which are entered into a national law enforcement database. In most instances, the police will not actively search for runaway youth, and if you’re found, they return home. In general, youth who runs away are not arrested or put on probation although the law may vary from state. For the most accurate information, you may contact your local nonemergency police hotline and ask about the consequences of running away and what age a minor can leave home legally. We are more than happy to call out to the police with you, if you’re able to call into our safeline.
            We hope the information provided helps out. We’re glad that you contacted and we wish you the best of luck with everything. If you need to contact us in the future, remember that we are available 24 hours 7 days. We can also be reached on our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and it’s toll-free, anonymous, and confidential.

Best Wishes
            ~NRS

Can I move out at 17 without getting in trouble and I am a man

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life especially at home if you’re thinking about running away from your household. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

Legally you are a minor and under your guardian’s supervision until you are 18 or are emancipated by a court of law. If you decide to leave home before then your guardians could file a runaway report on you. Running away is not a crime, but it is a status offense. This means the police could detain you until they release you to the care of your guardians. We have legal aid resources in our database. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move out of your house. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

I need to move out there are a lot of issues at home and i have a reliable place for me to move into but i need to know what the odds are of me actually being able to move in somewhere alse without being taken back to where i started

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like there's some stuff going on at home that's making you want to move out. That cannot be easy.

Unfortunately, without any information about your situation or your age we do not know the odds of you being returned home. We can speak generally about runaway laws. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to share more details about your situation so we can best help!

Best of luck,

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think.

Hi , i'm a 16 year old female in the state of louisiana and i'm having a similar problem . my mom is a reoccurring alcoholic and i tend to help myself most of the time . I have multiple family's members willing to take me in and live in my area no more than 10 minutes away from my moms home . I was waiting for my 17th birthday to move out . My aunt told me there used to be a legal law in louisiana for females of 17 can legally move out but i've been looking online and i can't seem to figure it out . i'll be 17 soon and i would really like some help .

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts at NRS, we can share a “rule of thumb” -- the age of majority” for your state (Louisiana) is 18 -- which is the age you legally have to be to leave home without your legal guardian’s consent.

We’re sorry to hear that things have been difficult at home with your mother, but it’s great to hear you have family members nearby who care about your wellbeing and want to take you in. Because you are so far from being 18, if you left home without your mom’s permission, she could file a runaway report, which would authorize police to search for you and bring you back home if they know where you are. Any adults who let you stay with them could potentially be charged with harboring a runway.

One thing to think about is if your mom would give you permission to live with another family member, or how you could best talk to her to request this permission. Think about reasons she may have for not wanting you to do this, or concerns she may have and try your best to have answers for these concerns. You may also want express a strong interest in her recovery and make sure she knows you’ll still be a part of her life regardless of where you live.

Please don’t hesitate to call us at the National Runaway Safeline if you’d like to discuss a strategy for this conversation or anything else we shared with you. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Best,

NRS

I’ve been wondering the same. I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. My moms super controlling and I can’t go have fun, like I can’t go to the lake and she watches my every move. I have no privacy, if I runaway when I turn 17 can they file me as missing and everyone comes looking for me? Or how does that work?

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re in a difficult situation with your mom. We are not legal experts but can give some general information. In regards to whether or not the Cedar Rapids police would return a 17 year old to their guardian, the only way to know for sure would be to call them directly. Every police department is different in regards to the cases they will pick up. Some police departments will not pick up a runaway report case of a 17 year old. However, this varies on location as well. We hope this helps answer your question in some way. Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800- RUNAWAY. We are here to talk 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We wish you the best of luck.
            -NRS

hi, I'm 18 and Graduated from school living in Texas, me and my parent constantly fight and I'm ready to move out, I have a friend who has offered to let me move in with her and Im ready to go for it. but is it okay to just get up and leave or do I have to do anything else, sign contracts, or anything involving the law, ect.?

Comment

• ccsmod11
            ccsmod11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. You're 18 which is the legal age of adulthood in TX. Therefore, you can just move out. No legal paperwork involved!

Best,
            NRS
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X