No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 legally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and living in the Hardin county area. I'm home alone a lot and my dad and I do not get along. It's affected my mental health severely and I want to move out bad. My mom says I can move in with her but due to past issues my dad refuses to let me even see her. She still has legal rights over me. I was wondering if I DID leave and move in with her without my dad's permission, could the police legally do anything? Is there any way my dad could legally get me back or use the past issues against my mom?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are dealing with custody issues. We are not legal experts. Your questions would be better answered by legal services or by calling the local nonemergency police number in your area. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• I'm 17 and live in Minden Louisiana me and my parents argue all the time and we are never on the same level i mean im a 17 year old who doesn't have a phone or a license and i can only talk on our house phone for about 5-10 minutes a day. They have crazy stupid rules and are super strict I'm trying my hardest to leave my boyfriend lives in Heflin Louisiana which is about 25 min from me and I'm trying to move in with him but i don't know if i can I can't even call the police to see because I don't have my own phone. I was hoping that I might be able to get some kind of information like if I ran away would I get in any leagal trouble or anything like that? Thanks!
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us and posting on our forum. We appreciate you explaining a bit about your situation. We are here to help in any way we can.

It sounds like home is really stressful for you. It’s understandable to need an escape when you feel like you’re suffocating at home with your parents. We’re glad that you have your boyfriend in your life, you deserve support during these hard times.

Unfortunately, if you left home without your parents permission they could call the police and put a runaway report on you. If the police found you then they would bring you home. The closer you get to turning 18, the less likely it is that the police would take a runaway report on you but legally you are a minor until you turn 18. Let us know if you have any more questions or if you need to talk to us more about how you’ve been feeling.

We’re open 24/7. You can call us or chat with us on our website, www.1800runaway.org . Thanks again for reaching out to us.

Best, NRS

• Is it ok for me to move out if there was blood shed bec me and my grandfather get into a fight to the point where we were both bleeding I dont feel safe here anymore and it doesn't feel right can I move out

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• hi my name is riley and i really want to move out. i’m 17 i live in springfield ga. but i don’t really know if i can. i asked my mom and all she did was yell. i have the money for it and an apartment to stay where i’d be paying rent. i’ve been supporting myself for the past year because they won’t. they treat me unfairly to my other siblings even when they were my age or younger. she is so strict on just me and keeps saying she will make me quit my job and stop seeing my boyfriend for no reason. will i get in trouble for just leaving ?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Riley,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here at NRS. Your mom is legally responsible for you until you turn 18 and it is not fair of her to force you to support yourself. But it does show your strength and maturity that you have taken so many steps to be as independent as possible. You deserve to be treated with respect and it is understandable you want to get away from this stressful environment.

It sounds like you are looking for more information on runaway laws and leaving home before you turn 18. While we are not legal experts we can speak generally on this. If you leave home before you turn 18, your mom can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal but it is a status offense. This basically means that while you would not get into any legal trouble, your mom can ask police to return you home if she knows where you are staying. Now, there is not a universal way that police handle runaway reports. Some police officers may be more lenient and won't always force you back home or even take a report at all. We suggest that young people call their local police department's non-emergency line to ask about this. You can call anonymously if it makes you more comfortable. Helpful questions to ask would be, "If I leave home at 17 can my parents report me as a runaway? And would police force me to return home if she knows where I am staying?"

We hope this information helps. We are available 24/7 for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk more about your situation.

Stay safe!
      NRS

• Aye so i just turned 17 like 2 days ago, i live in manistique michigan, what will they do if i leave, and what if i move to a bigger city at 17 ?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that in the state of Michigan you can move out at the age of 17. It should not make a difference what size city you move to. If you have any other questions or want to explore what options you have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• Hi I am 17 and I was wondering if I could move out without parental consent

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Hello I’m 17 now and I live and Nevada and I want to know if I can move out without my guardian permission because they a lot of conflict between me and them and I was wonder to move to Texas but the thing is I’ll be 18 on the 10 of October

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I’m 17 and I live in Temple Texas me and my mom gets into fights a lot since I was little I’m a senior now in high school and I just can’t take it anymore it’s it illegal to move out or leave at my age here?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 10-17-2020, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent/guardian permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, they may file you as a runaway and if picked up by the police you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, contact the local non-emergency number to the police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911
      or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

• I’m 16 turning 17 in December and I want to leave home and my state to move to another. Me and my parents are okay but we don’t really socialize in the house and I’m just ready to leave and begin my life. I’d have someone to live with in that state I want to move to, could I legally leave with or without parents permission?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline with your question. We hope we can answer in the best way possible.
      We understand that things at home are not serving you in a way you would like. It sounds like this is making you want to go to a different state when you turn 17. We never explicitly tell anyone what they should do; however, we can provide some general information that might help you come to a decision on your own. Leaving the home before 18 and without parental consent is, in all states, a status offense. This simply means that it is something you are not supposed to do as a minor. You will not be arrested, nor charged with a crime. But the police can become involved if your parent/guardian contacts them and reports you. Perhaps one way to avoid this is to get consent from your parents, or at least if deciding to run away, to leave them information on your whereabouts so that they do not call the police out of fear for your safety.
      In any case, it is important to know where you will go, how you will get there, and what you will do once there to survive. We are always here to talk through these things with you. You can reach out to 1-800-RUN-AWAY at any time.
      Stay safe and strong.
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X