No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 legally

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i move out at 17 legally

hi, so me and my mom we get into it constantly ive been on a countdown to my 17th birthday which is now only 5 months away and i heard that in Texas you can move out at 17 BUT I live in Arlington, Texas and I dont know if it only applies for some cities in Texas and im really really confused cause i wanna go already but its taking forever and im reading things online saying that if you have a stable place to stay and have a job and am able to take care of my self my mom cant come and get me so what i wanna know is what i have to do to get out of here because if i stay there any longer something bad is going to happen at that house cause we cant stand each other so somebody please help

re: can i move out at 17 legally

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today and sharing your story with us. It sounds like you’re going through so much at home right now with your mom. It doesn’t sound easy. It’s smart of you to reach out and get some guidance though. It must be exhausting to live in a place where there are constant fights and arguments. It makes sense that you’re thinking about leaving and it’s good to get some information before you leave. So let’s see how we can help you out.

We aren’t legal experts here, but we are able to speak generally about this. And we were able to call the Arlington Police Department for you (http://www.arlington-tx.gov/police). We found out that if you leave at 17, the police would still take a runaway report from your legal guardians. The police officer that we spoke with said that they would not search for you, but if they interact with you (you’re pulled over, or picked up for something else), they would notify your guardians and you back home.

So that’s a general answer from the police there in Arlington. Sometimes what happens if that if you are found, the police will try to coordinate with your parents to allow you to live somewhere else. The reason that the police would need permission and need to tell your mom is because she is legally responsible for whatever happens to you until you turn 18. Once you turn 18, you become legally responsible for yourself and then you get the right to decide where you live.

We hope that this helps. The reason that you are getting some conflicting information from a bunch of different places is because there is no one answer to this. It depends on a lot of things – even down to the individual police officer who responds to the call from your mom. In general though, your mom is legally responsible for you until you turn 18, so if the police found you or interacted with you, you would probably be returned home.

If you have more questions or want to talk through anything else, please call or chat or with us. We are here to support you in whatever you decide to do.

Good luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Moving out at 17

Hi my name is Aaryn Ocelik and I am have problem with my mom and all I want to do is move out at the age of 17 I am seventeen now and I was wondering if it was against the law to move out at age of seventeen..and if I was to move out with out parent consent and move in with one of my friend what would happen..my mom constant tell me to get out then she tries to be all nice and it angers me .. I feel like if I stay in this house any longer I might burst..I live in Jewett city Connecticut..please reply ASAP

Comment

re:

Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I am 16 years old female and i live in Houston, Texas. I really want to move out of the house with my dad for several reasons. I understand that i may have to get emancipated but i also heard that if im 17 then i am concidered an adult in Texas. I am unsure of this but i really dont want to get the court involved much. Since it is close to the summer i want to leave the house now but if i have a better chance of being able to leave i will wait till September when i turn 17.My dad doesn't let me leave out the house, i can barely go on my porch and it eats me up inside of how bored i get and i get invited places and can never go. I know its not a big deal but i really have no social life i stay in the house all day everyday unless i am at school. He never listens to any of my problems and doesnt take me to the doctor when i need to. A few weeks ago he lost his job and ik that he is not about to get a new one anytime soon because he's lost a job before and all we did was struggle for a long time with no car or home and sometimes no food. But since last year he got a car and we are on housing and food stamps so it hasn't been too bad. But he also cant drive his car because the tags went out and since he has no job he can't pay get them and he cant drive his car much. He wont allow me to get a job and it really kills me to not be able to care for myself because i do not want to struggle. I just feel like im missing out on alot i could be doing to help my future and all i want is atleast a summer job to help out and have something to do. But he wants to have total control over me so i cant do anything and i get really depressed. My bestfriends mother said i could stay with them for however long but my dad won't give consent. I would get a job and help her out if i needed too also. I just really would like to leave can you give me any advice or do you know if the police would come get me if i left and would her mom get in trouble for helping me because i dont want to be a problem to anyone. Thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod6
            ccsmod6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out about what you are going through. We’re sorry to hear that you are having a rough time at home. It sounds like you have put some thought into leaving, where you would go, and how you could support yourself.

You ask some good questions. We aren’t legal experts but we can give you some general information and some local resources that might help. The age of majority in Texas is 18, not 17 year old. Running away or leaving home without your parents’ permission isn’t illegal and you can’t get arrested for leaving. But if your dad files a runaway report, the police would be mandated to return you back to his house if he is your legal guardian. If you are staying with at a friend’s house, the police might charge your friend’s parents with “harboring a runaway,” which is a criminal offense. Sometimes police departments don't take runaway reports for 17 year olds, though, so you can either call your local police department and ask them or we can call out to them for you with your permission.

You also asked about emancipation. This is definitely an option open to you, but it is a long process that might be expensive. You can always call our hotline to discuss this in more detail or to get legal referrals in your local area that might help. We also have a chat line. We are here to listen and help the best way we can.

We wish you the best of luck with everything!

Can you call the dallas police department and ask what they do with a 16 year old runaway and a 17 year old runaway? Please I really need answers fast.

Comment

• ccsmod0
            ccsmod0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,
            Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you would like us to make an outgoing call for you to the police. We would be happy to assist you in making this call but first we are going to need you to give us a call. Also in the future please note that the fastest way to get assistance is by calling. You can reach us 24/7 @ 1-800-786-2929
            Looking forward to hearing from you,
            NRS

Can I legally move out at 17. I have 112 days until I’m 18, but I can’t live here anymore. My parents and I do not get along; we are always arguing. Sometimes it’s even me and my siblings. I have gotten to the point to where I can’t take it anymore I want to move out. I hate living here and I hate everyone here.

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

Thanks for contacting NRS, via our forum. We appreciate that you’re reaching out in your time of need, we are always here to help in any way we can.

It sounds like home life has been stressful due to a lot of arguing in the home. It is completely understandable that you need to get out of that environment and into a more peaceful one.
            Generally speaking, running away is not illegal and is often considered a status offense (i.e. truancy, breaking curfew). However, parents are allowed to file runaway reports which are entered into a national law enforcement database. In most instances, the police will not actively search for runaway youth, and if you’re found, they return home. In general, youth who runs away are not arrested or put on probation although the law may vary from state. For the most accurate information, you may contact your local nonemergency police hotline and ask about the consequences of running away and what age a minor can leave home legally. We are more than happy to call out to the police with you, if you’re able to call into our safeline.

We hope the information provided helps out. We’re glad that you contacted and we wish you the best of luck with everything. If you need to contact us in the future, remember that we are available 24 hours 7 days. We can also be reached on our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and it’s toll-free, anonymous, and confidential.

Best Wishes
            ~NRS

Moving out at 17. I'll be 18 in a little under half a year, but i can't wait that long. I want to move out. I'm not allowed to get a job but as soon as i get the chance i will. Im not allowed to drive so im very limited on transportation. I wont be on the streets if i do leave. I have other family and friends that live close to my school that are willing to take me in. But if my parents file a runaway report im afraid of the legal consequences that who ever takes me in will encounter. I dont want anyone that wants to help me get in trouble. There is constant arguments at home and me and my parents constantly clash with eachother. Im walking on very thin ice with them and im tired of it. I live in cedar hill, Texas. I want to know what i can do.

Comment

Im 17 and going to be 18 in may. I want to move out. As it stands i cant financially support myself because im not allowed to have a job. As soon as im able to, i will get one. Me and my parents clash all the time and dont get a long at all. Im walking on very thin ice with them. Its very hard to love with them and im tired of constantly being on edge. I want to move out but im afriad what will happen if my parents file a run away report. I have friends and family that live close to my school that are willing to take me in but im afraid of the legal consequences. I dont want them to get in any kind of trouble for harbouring a runaway but i know that my parents wont give consent to let me live elsewhere. I live in cedar hill texas. Im at a loss and have no idea what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod15
              ccsmod15 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like living at home has made it really tough for you to be independent and you’re looking into living with family or friends. You’re asking some really great questions about what might happen if you do leave and, although we can’t tell you what to do, we’ll share as much info as we can to help you figure out your next steps.

We’re not legal experts, but from what we understand, running away isn’t technically illegal, although it is considered a status offense in some states. If you are considered a minor in your state, your legal guardians can file a runaway report with your local police department. What happens after that really depends on your local police department. Sometimes they look for a missing youth, sometimes they won’t. If you’d like to know how your local police department handles runaway reports, you would need to reach out to your local police department at their non-emergency number to find out. You don’t have to give them any identifying information to have your questions answered. There is a risk that whomever you stay with can be charged with harboring a runaway or aiding and abetting a minor, and again, the best way to find out about that would be to reach out to your local police department. Their non-emergency number is 972.297.5181.

If you need help calling your local police department, or if you just want to talk to someone about your situation, don’t hesitate to call us. We’re available 24/7 via phone at 800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST via chat. Know that we’re here to listen and support you, and we’ll do our best to help you stay safe. Best of luck to you!

-NRS

I am 17 and I am trying to get out of here as soon as possible!!! My mother is constantly arguing with her boyfriend until they decide that they want to go get high again and then as soon they are high they immediately start blaming all of their mistakes on us and i honestly just cant deal with this anymore!!! Me and my step father have never gotten along and we got into a physical fight once. However, since i have come out to them it has only gotten worse.

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry that things are so difficult at home. It's hard to deal with constant arguing with your mom and the situation with her boyfriend and getting blamed for things. You don’t deserve to be treated this way. Having come out and things getting worse just makes it more understandable that you want to leave. In most states, the age of majority is 18, so leaving at 17 is a problem. If you contact us again with your city and state, we can look for a shelter in your area. In larger areas there are sometimes shelters for LGBTQ youth as well.
              We are reachable by email again, through our Live Chat 4:30-11:30 pm central time at 1800RUNAWAY.org, or 24/7 through our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You are dealing with a lot and we are here to listen and help. We are confidential to you and we can best help with a little more information so we can find resources specific to your location.
              We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you again.

Hi, my story is a little different. my mom passed away and I currently live with my aunt, I think she might have legal custody of me so my dad can't get me but I'm not 100% sure. I've lived with her and the rest of her family for 2 years and it has been total hell and I've been wanting to move out since I got here. I am 17 and turn 18 in August but I don't want to wait that long, I honestly can't stand them another minute. I planned on moving as soon as I graduate which is in june but ill still be considered 17 so I don't see why they have a problem if I move out in January but I just don't want the police involved. Would I get in trouble if I just moved out? they aren't my parents

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us through our forum service and via phone. Like we discussed on the phone, please feel free to contact us if you need any more help.

Best,

NRS

Comment

Hey I'm 16 and I live in Baton Rouge Louisiana I will be turning 17 feb 14 so In 26 days and I can't live at home iv been staying with my mom and stepdad and they both have custody of me I have about 4 run away reports and probably about to end up in jail I need help trying to figure out how I can move out I have friends that have a five bedroom house and want me to move in with them I'm still going to school and my parents are not helping me out at all and I need help soon all we do is fight and I need help quick thank you in advance

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,

It sounds like you’re having a lot of difficulty at home and we want to let you know that we hear you and hope to help you out.

Moving out is hard to do as a minor unless you have parental permission. I’m assuming you aren’t able to get that simply because you’ve run away so many times already. Emancipation is legal and has a formalized statute in Louisiana. You are old enough to petition for emancipation in court, but we unfortunately are unable to help you start that process. We can however refer you to legal services that can help you figure out if you qualify for emancipation. New Orleans Legal Assistance is reachable 9am-5pm Monday-Friday at 504-340-1381 to answer any questions about emancipation in Louisiana.

Other options for moving out involve your parents relinquishing custody of you, and that custody being taken over by the state or another capable party. If you think this is something that would work for you, the above phone number would also be able to help you initiate that process. You also may consider running away again despite your past experiences. We are more than capable of helping you plan for safety if you want to call us and let us know about your plan for running away if you ever choose to make one.

If you feel that the above options do not work for you, you may also find it helpful to enroll in additional extracurricular activities to get away from home. Parents are often willing to let kids stay away from home if they are engaging in structured activities, and a lot of youth who feel uncomfortable being at home but unable to leave home find these activities a good route out of home.

Hopefully you will find this message helpful, but if not, please feel free to contact us again, 24/7. We thank you again for contacting us and wish you the best of luck.
                  -NRS

Hi. I'm 17 and my grandma has costody of me me and her are both living with my boyfriend who is also the father of my unborn child my grandma can not get soon with anyone and wants to leave my boyfriends house but she doesn't wanna take me will I get took by CPS if she leaves me here?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We are not legal experts, but if your grandma does not file a runaway report or report you in any other way then the police or CPS will most likely not get involved. There could be consequences for her if anything were to happen to you because you technically would still be her responsibility. But if she leaves without you and doesn't file a report, then you would be able to live anywhere. If you have more questions about this you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and a liner could talk you through it, or you could reach out to your local police station and inquire about your situation to ask for sure if there would be any consequences for you.

Don't hesitate to reach out.

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X