No announcement yet.

17, Nevada. Want to go live with former foster family.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17, Nevada. Want to go live with former foster family.

    I'm having a really difficult time finding information relevant to my exact situation.
    I was placed in foster care with a friend's family because my mother, who I was living with, got arrested over the weekend while I was visiting said friend. I'm very grateful to them for taking me in.
    CPS/DFS contacted my abusive father, who I worked to cut out of my life at 13. There was a whole 6-month-long fiasco with everyone trying to stall. CPS insisted that reunification was the only way to go because, legally, he's a non-offending parent. I was very vocal about his abuse, and saw the signs that he hadn't changed in 3 years pretty early on. Eventually, he threw a fit at the department, and I had to be "reunified" the day after I was notified.
    He hasn't changed, and I'm still subjected to the same insane rants I was 3 years ago, while I was visiting him, and 6+ years ago, while me and my mom were living with him. He hates all my loved ones and thinks they've all horribly wronged him. He tries to convince me that he "knows" things and that they're all terrible people and they're going to get in trouble. My therapist, the CPS workers, ESPECIALLY my foster family. He even regularly takes jabs at my 15 year old friend/former roommate's mental health. He tries to tell me that I'm wrong about everything, and tries to manipulate me into questioning things that I very well know to be true. He's going to slowly try to isolate me from everyone I care about, taking me out of my school and not letting me see my foster family. He does nothing but complain about the responsibilities HE put on himself by choosing to take me back.

    I want to wait for CPS involvement to end and run away, back to my foster family. To my knowledge, they were only registered for me and would have to get registered again for anyone else. I can't find anything super clear or recent about running away at 17 here, and I don't know what will happen if he DOES call the police and I tell them about his abuse. CPS could get involved again, but there's not much of a way to prove emtional abuse when the person puts on a happy face any time someone's around.
    My caseworker has been no help at all through the situation. If anything, she sympathizes with him and is trying to get me to cut off contact with my foster family.
    I'm desperate for a way back out. Part of me even HOPES for a physical event or altercation so I can finally raise some important eyebrows.

  • #2
    First of all, thank you very much for reaching out. You’re in a very tough situation, which no one should have to suffer through, and still you were able to articulate it so well – probably because you had to think about it and explain it many times…

    It’s very possible that your caseworker and CPS have placed you at your father’s care to find the easiest way to resolve your situation. For you to stay at your prior foster care arrangement, a custody hearing would probably have to be arranged with a judge – and because you’re already 17, they might just have decided not to go through that.

    In any case, we’re not legal experts, and it sounds like you could benefit from solid legal advice. Here are two resources in Nevada that would be able to advise you according to local laws: 1) Clark County Pro Bono Project/Nevada Legal Services, 702-386-1070, and 2) Washoe Legal Services, 775-329-2727.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp