No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • custody

    I live with my grandparents and I’m 17 but I want to move in with my mom but she doesn’t have custody could I still move in with her without having to get my grandparents permission

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear about your situation, it sounds really difficult and frustrating.

    We’re not legal experts but we do know general information about runaway laws. If you left home without your grandparent’s permission, it would be considered running away. You can’t be arrested for running away but your mom could get into trouble for harboring you if your grandparents decided to press charges on her. We recommend calling your local police department and asking them what would happen to a 17 year old you runaway. Some may say if you are in a safe place then they won’t bring you back home, while others may bring you back until the day you turn 18. We have legal aid resources, they are lawyers who help youth for free. If you call into our safeline we’d be happy to connect you with some in your area. They may know other legal options to allow you to move in with your mom.

    We also offer conference calling between youth and their guardians. If you wanted our help calling your grandparents together and talking with them about letting you live with your mom or spend time with her, we’re here!

    Stay Strong!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp