No announcement yet.

16 and wanting out of foster care

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 and wanting out of foster care

    I am 16 desperately want out of foster care I’ve read online that marriage will result in automatic emancipation. My mother still has some parental rights and can sign for school papers and stuff like that. Can she give consent for me to marry? Can the state step in and stop me?

  • #2
    Hello there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It sounds like you are wanting to leave the foster care system and your mom still has some type of guardianship for you. Typically in most states, emancipation occurs when the minor enters the military, is married, or is granted emancipation by the state. A good place to start might be your local court house where you can talk to a court official about filing for a marriage license. If the court says your mom can sign for you, you should be able to become emancipated without issue. If you need any additional resources please give us a call or chat with us at the National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-786-2929 or Best of luck and stay safe!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp