No announcement yet.

16 and wanting to move out

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 and wanting to move out

I'll be 16 next month. In 2 days I have court with my parents for an at risk youth petition. Meaning if I run away again (which I did previously after being abused, I have pictures of the bruises) I'll be sent to juvie. I live in Washington. I've been saving money, I plan to get a job next month after my birthday, and be financially prepared to get an apartment to share with an 18 year old friend. My parents won't approve of this. I'll spare the long story but, we don't get along and I'm very mistreated. Now if I try to claim being abused to a court and try to get into foster care or another relatives care, it won't work, my parents really play the perfect family card with a troubled daughter. I'm planning on trying my chances at getting emancipated. But I need to show I can support myself and I'd have to fight my parents on it. I'm thinking of renting the apartment with my friend while still living at home. Once I go through with getting emancipated, I can show I've already been paying for a place to live. At 16 I'm able to move out without my parents consent, but the at risk youth petition I think would ruin that. Any advice or suggestions on how I should go about this would help
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-13-2018, 06:40 AM.

Reply: 16 and wanting to move out

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you have a reasonable plan in trying to go forward. It seems like there is the court issue to hurdle first before next steps are considered.

We are not legal experts but in most states 18 is the legal age of adult hood. You might consider researching the laws in your state on this matter.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X