•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi!

Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We are here to listen and help. You deserve to be treated with respect. You are strong for continuing to persevere in a situation where you feel as though you are constantly being targeted by your parents. It is good that you are close to your sister, as its always helpful to have someone to talk to. One option you may consider is reaching out to a trusted adult in your life who you would be comfortable telling about what has been going on. This could be a coach, teacher, counselor, or even another family member.

You mentioned that you have been hit several times during arguments. Although families sometimes have arguments, it should never result in mistreatment or abuse. Abuse may occur in different forms (verbal, emotional, physical), yet all abuse is something than can be reported to police or child protective services. Child Help (1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org) may offer more information to help you decide if that is something you are interested in pursuing.

You also mentioned how when you try to speak with your parents about how you are feeling they do not listen. It is very difficult to not feel as though your voice is not being heard. Another option you have through National Runaway Safeline is having a conference call with you and your parents. This would allow you to explain how you are feeling about your home situation with them while someone from NRS is on the line with you to help guide and mediate the conversation. To use this, you would need to call in to 1-800- 786-2929. It is difficult to be in a situation where you are not being treated with respect. We want to make sure that you stay safe, so if you need any further assistance, feel free to reach out to us again by phone or through live chat. We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

Good luck!

Guest replied
    So I’m 16, 17 in July. A little about me, I work a part time job with very little hours due to a labor issue. I’m in a solid relationship. A few friends, and a sister to count on. As my sister and I grew up together only being a year apart (she’s older) we figured a lot of the same things out. We never really completely disagree on some thing we are quite similar. But just because we’re similar doesn’t mean we don’t deal with the same struggles. Our parents have had this long-term warfare with us over the course of about three years it was nothing ever crazy physical I’ve been hit in the heat of argument a couple of times but never that physically abusive. The way it works here is more of a mental game. Coming home every day having to text my sister wondering if my parents are in a good mood so I won’t get yelled at, or greeting your parents at the door only for them to treat you like another coworker and when your dad has been a foreman for 30+ years it’s not easy to stand up for yourself. My sister and I have had thousands of sit downs and lectures and countless hours of just being nags at and told we need to be better in so many ways. We both have tried to reason with them and anything that has ever came out of our mouth while trying to be a reasonable human with them has been considered disrespect and completely went unnoticed. My parents aren’t the type to look at the other side of things. It’s very toxic. My mom ******** talks us behind our backs. And is always telling my dad awful things to get us in trouble. I’ve had friends tell me i should get out. And my sister has already begun packing her things as her dream of liberation at 18 is near. I wish time went faster.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home, but you will not face any other legal consequences. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

The easiest way to leave home as minor is with permission from your legal guardian. We understand this can be a very difficult conversation to have. Maybe there is a family member or other trusted adult who can help you communicate how you are feeling to your parent/guardian. you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    I am 17 I can go to be 18 in July 8 if I live with my boyfriend how is 19 and I need help with about move out

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. I’m sorry to hear that life at home has led you to want to run away, that sounds like a difficult situation to deal with.

Having a place to stay to ensure that you are safe is very important. While we are not legal experts, running away is not considered illegal. However, since you are a minor, your guardians have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home unless you express to them that you live in an unsafe environment. If you left home and decided to stay with a friend, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. To learn more about the process of running away and your rights, you can also call the National Center of Homeless Education Hotline at 1-800-308-2145.

If you would like to discuss the reasons as to why you want to runaway or you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

Best Wishes
    ~NRS

Guest replied
    I know i cant leave/runaway home legally. But i've heard in some situations, the police will not go after/return runaway teens when they are near the age of 18. I will be 18 in 6 months in the city of Milwaukee Wisconsin. Will i be returned home? Im hoping the police will not bother returning me because i will turn 18 soon.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 years old and live in Wisconsin.... my dad has been yelling at me everyday and both my parents have been pretty strict my whole life. I've noticed that when I get a boyfriend they tend to try to ground me and stop me from going to see him. I'm with a guy that I really do love but they wont look at it that way. They get mad when I ask to go see him and it's just been one day a week. They say that as long as I'm under their roof they anything I buy is their's. I came home yesterday again to being yelled at for hours on end. All I did was go to see my boyfriend and my mom had dropped me off... I want to leave home but I dont want anyone getting in trouble because of me... I'd like to go stay with my grandparents but my parents would make it hard to do so... I've been told I'm emotionally abused and I didnt want to believe it until I started seeing the patterns of being yelled at and feeling like complete crap because I apparently "didnt" do what they wanted me to. I've been stuck at home for basically 6 months and I've really never gotten to go get a job or see friends often at all. The only thing they want me to do is chores and family. I've found myself crying for what seems like no reason and crying myself to sleep. I dont want to be hurt anymore but I dont know what I can do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. It sounds like things at home with your grandmother have been really tense and you considering leaving. You are a very caring mom to want a calmer and more emotionally healthy environment for your son.

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally on our knowledge of this. Wisconsin does not have a formal emancipation statute (process to become a legal adult before turning 1, but it does recognize emancipation in other forms including a minor who has previously given birth. Because you have given birth and are the legal guardian of a minor, it could mean you have some rights of a legal adult in order to care for your child but are still considered a minor yourself or it could mean that you are considered a full legal adult. We are not quite sure what applies to your circumstances unfortunately. But we can provide a referral to legal aid that can give you a more solid answer about your rights. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through our live chat services at 1800runaway.org for this resource and additional support.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 17 in Wisconsin and I have a ten month old baby, I am financially ready to get the heck out of my house because it is not a good environment for my son with constant yelling/fighting as I know being around that when you are young can be a start of developing many anxiety disorders. I do not believe my grandma (legal guardian) will allow me to move out. But I have heard that some places you become responsible for yourself legally when you have a child underage and I am wondering if that could be a law in Wisconsin.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some information on what could happen. If you were kicked out you most likely can go live at your aunts house. Your legal guardian could try and change their mind and file a runaway report. If they were to do that and the police did find you, you could try and explain how you were kicked out. To find out the best answer you may want to consider calling your local police department and asking them what your options are.
    Again we thank you for reaching out to NRS, if you have any other questions or would like to explore options please call or chat with us. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello I'm a 17 year old girl and my mom kicked me out because I have an attitude. Is it legal for me to move in with my aunt who lives a few states away, without me being called in as a run away, considering I was kicked out and I've been staying in my sisters basement who is verbally abusive. I know my aunt can help take care of me. But is it legal for me to move to a different state?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We know it can be difficult to share the things you are dealing with. You are not alone, and we are always here to talk with you. You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. It may be helpful to have your friend's parents talk with your parents.The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    15 almost 16. i want to leavehome.my parents are always atfriends or working and i just feel alone alot. they do try to spend time with me on their days off. but they also seem really exhausted all the time and i dont want to be alone. they do joke alot and sometimes ive asked them to stop joking the way they do but they say they can because theyre my parents. and im also scared of them. i dont nessecarily consider what they do abuse i just dont feel like they really want me most of the time. my friend does want to help- and wants me to live with him but i dont want to get anyone in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. I’m sorry to hear that life at home has led you to want to run away, that sounds like a difficult situation to deal with.

In most situations, it is much easier to gain emancipation if the parents are involved. However, if you can prove you are able to support yourself and that you have a safe place to stay, there are exceptions. To learn more about the process of running away and gaining emancipation without your legal guardian’s permission, you can also call the National Center of Homeless Education Hotline at 1-800-308-2145. In general, it would be very unlikely that you could get emancipated from your parents without them knowing.

If you would like to discuss the reasons as to why you want to runaway or you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

Best Wishes
    ~NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X