No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Wisconsin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I'm a concerned friend so my friend lives with her mom and step dad but her step dad threatens her puts her in harms way and does and brings drugs like Cocain around her and gets drunk all the time at the house with her treats her bad and never apologizes for the thing he does to her and him and his brother both put there hands on her idk if they hit her but while on video chat I've seen them both grab her up as she screams and cries for them to get off of her idk what to she isn't 16 till April and I don't wanna get cops involved but im worried abt her and wanna protect her is there anyway she can leave them earlier then the age of 18 in the state of Wisconsin I need help bc she is to scared to come out abt it but im worried for her safety and well being

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there and thanks for contacting NRS. We know that it can be especially challenging to see a friend going through a hard time and wanting to help but not knowing where to start, and we commend you for trying to support them.

It definitely sounds like your friend is going through a lot. A good place to start in terms of offering support is to pass along the contact info of us here at NRS. This gives your friend the opportunity to vent, ask questions, develop a plan, and otherwise just have a safe person to talk to. If she's worried about what might happens if she discloses any sort of abuse, you can reassure her that our conversations are anonymous and confidential.

It's also good to know that if she were to disclose any form of abuse to you or you otherwise feel like she is in imminent danger, assuming you know where she lives and other identifiable information, you can file a report with CPS on her behalf.

In regards to her leaving home earlier than 18--there's really no simple answer for this. Yes, if she makes that decision, she can leave home. It's more so a matter of if she wants to avoid any potential issues that might arise in her doing so. For example, if she leaves home with out parental consent and decides to stay with a friend and their family, if her parents file a missing persons or runaway report, she could find herself in trouble, and so could the family that she's staying with. There are so many different factors that come into play, so it's hard to give a simple answer. That said, there are generally two ways to leave home without any potential legal ramifications: with a parent's consent or through CPS, who ultimately *may* make the decision to remove a minor from the home when abuse is present.

If you'd like to talk in more detail about what's going on or pass along our information to your friend, you can reach us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live through our website at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Hi, I am only 16 years old. But am wondering is there a way I can leave my home at 17 1/2? I am currently in a group home that don't really understand me. I am transgender male and they just don't respect me. I want to be on my own. I have someone who is willing to let me live with them. Please let me know if its possible to leave home before I am 18. Thanks, Jake

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. We are sorry to hear that as a transgender male, you aren't respected and understood at your group home. That must be really hard and stressful and it's understandable that you want to be on your own.
      The letter of the law is that you can't leave until you reach the age of majority in your state; that is the simple answer to your question. But we would like to talk with you about your situation and discuss your friend and your options.
      You can reach us 24/7 via this website and our live chat or our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929)
      We truly hope to hear from you soon.
      Sincerely,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X