No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Wisconsin

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    my boyfriend who is 17 has parents that are split up. His mother is rude to him and doesn't let him be who he is. His dad is away on business A lot and my boyfriend is stuck with his stepmom who verbally abuses him and treats him like crap. I want my boyfriend to move in with me, and finish High School online, but I don't know if he's legally able to leave Wisconsin at the age of 17 to come live with me. his mom agrees that if he ever got emancipated it would he great for him, but his mom I think just said that to get him to stop talking about how much he hates being in both houses, because when he mentionsmoving in with me, she says no. I have heard that if you want to do school online, you need a parent's consent, and if my boyfriend leaves his house, he won't have anybody to consent for him. I heard that if you write a note, you're not going to be considered a runaway, is that true? we don't know what to do and I guess I just need some advice on the best way to get him to come live with me, finish school, and live his life to the fullest.


    • ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove