No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Wisconsin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my boyfriend who is 17 has parents that are split up. His mother is rude to him and doesn't let him be who he is. His dad is away on business A lot and my boyfriend is stuck with his stepmom who verbally abuses him and treats him like crap. I want my boyfriend to move in with me, and finish High School online, but I don't know if he's legally able to leave Wisconsin at the age of 17 to come live with me. his mom agrees that if he ever got emancipated it would he great for him, but his mom I think just said that to get him to stop talking about how much he hates being in both houses, because when he mentionsmoving in with me, she says no. I have heard that if you want to do school online, you need a parent's consent, and if my boyfriend leaves his house, he won't have anybody to consent for him. I heard that if you write a note, you're not going to be considered a runaway, is that true? we don't know what to do and I guess I just need some advice on the best way to get him to come live with me, finish school, and live his life to the fullest.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

i am 17 and will be 18 in 6 months and i want to move out of my parents house and in with one of my friends. my friend and her family are okay with it. i am graduated from high school and i have a job in the town my friend lives in. my mom keeps telling me no but i want to do it anyways. if i do it will there be legal consequences? will they return me to my parents house? my friend is 19 going to be 20 in 3 months, would my friend get in trouble for harboring a minor ?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for sharing a little bit about what's going on, we know it takes a lot of courage to reach out to others. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your mom can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom. As you brought up, your friend does run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway if you are found at her place. Harboring a runaway is a misdemeanor, and penalties vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your mom views the situation. Since you already graduated high school and are close to turning 18 the police may let you stay where you are if located. It may be a good idea to call 311 which will connect you to the nonemergency police line to verify local policy regarding runaway laws and enforcement.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

Hi there.
    i am 17 years old, only a 3 months shy of turning 18.
    I live in a not very good home and my mother can be abusive when she is off her pills. Witch she normally is. I was planning on moving out in three months to my aunts place, they have a room ready for me and everything. My mother has no idea. At my current house I pay a lot of rent to my mother but my new place I wouldn’t have too. I want to move early because my mother has been getting worst. But scared she will call me as a runway.

more about my back round. I hold 2 part time jobs to pay rent right now. Keep great grades by myself and live a lone with my mother goes on drinking binges.

Comment

Hi I'm a seventeen-year-old senior in high school. I live in Wisconsin and I've had troubles with my parents since I was little. I have to move out of my dad's house after my mom and dad got divorced because he became abusive and was addicted to drugs. CPS did little to help that situation and now living with my mom she hides my antidepressants and tells me that I need to cope with it like everyone else. I am diagnosed with more severe depression and she does nothing to help me find a solution. I just want to be happy, just want to be normal. Going through a whole lawsuit where I was subpoenaed and I'm moving out of state to Colorado for college at the end of my senior year. My mom told me that if I want something done about my depression I have to leave and live with my dad but he has no room for me at his home I have no other family that will take me in. I'm lost and I don't know what to do when I'm sad and everything's difficult. Just want to be normal like everyone else be able to smile and be happy like a normal kid I spent my entire childhood having to be an adult and now it's either Beach blessed and live here what's a family that doesn't love me or leave. Hoping for a little bit of guidance because I don't have anyone in my life who can help me with that.

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, it sounds as if you are dealing with something pretty difficult and it is good that you are reaching out. Everyone has the right to happiness and it must be stressful not being allowed to treat your depression. It also must be difficult for you to be told to return to an abuser- as no one deserves to be abused or feel unsafe in their home. If you ever feel as if you are in immediate danger, please reach out to your police department’s emergency number, 911.

You mentioned that you have been dealing with a lawsuit and CPS, unfortunately we are not legal experts at NRS. However if you would like us to provide you with specific contact information for legal aid in your area, please reach out to us via our hotline (1-800-786-2929), our email, or our chat service. Regarding your mental health, there are services you might be able to utilize that would not require parental consent. Since you are 17, basic counseling services might not require parental consent. You could reach out to a school counselor if your school provides one, or you could search for other counseling services in your area. If you would like assistance locating one close by, you could reach back out to us via the routes mentioned above. You could also reach out to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) 1-800-950-NAMI. You also mentioned running away. The age of majority in Wisconsin is 18, this means that running away would be a status offense. This means that you could be picked up by the police and returned to your legal guardian.

Thank you so much for contacting us. Feel free to reach out to us via our 24 hour hotline. Again, it is great that you are reaching out. Remember that you are not alone; it takes a lot of strength to ask for help. Please take care of yourself!

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      Hello,I’m 17 as of October I am currently in online schooling,my mother and I are having lots of fights lately. She turns me into a different person which causes my mental health to go in bad direction, I’d like to move into my boyfriend’s house of 2 years or sisters house but would like to know the possible consequences of doing so. I have money,I’m responsible,going through drivers ed and would continue to schooling. I fear if I stay at my current house my mental health will go down the drain.
      i have the same thing imma be 17 i a few months and my mom always try to argue and my dad just doesnt like talking to me becasue of what my mom tells him and changes some of the story

Comment

Hey! I'm a 17 year old and I've heard rumors that if your parents file a runaway report at 17 1/2 they won't do anything unless you're truant from school, and I'll be graduated, or causing problems with the law. I don't know if that's true though

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. Runaway protocols can vary by state and county, so it is hard to say for sure what would happen in your case. In general, if you leave home without permission your parents can report you as a runaway. This is not illegal, so you would not be arrested. However, if your parents and the police know where you are then they might attempt to return you home since you are still considered a minor. The best way to know for sure what the protocol is in your area is to call the non-emergency number for the local police department and ask questions anonymously.

We hope this information helps! We are available 24/7 by phone (800-786-2929) and chat if you would like to talk more in detail about your situation.

Good luck,
          NRS

I am 17 wondering about if the person I ran away to would get charged for harboring a minor

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. Your friend’s parent/guardian could file a runaway report on your friend but this would NOT mean that your friend would get arrested or charged with anything. It typically does mean that the police could return your friend home if they encountered you and that would be that. Police typically do not actively search for a runaway youth. However, they will go where the parent/guardian directs them if they know where the youth is staying. Additionally, police can sometimes be more lenient about runaway situations the closer the youth is to 18. Your friend can attempt to calmly and respectfully deny them consent to touch her or take her anywhere, and they may give up on trying to return her home. They also may not, in which case your friend should comply with what they tell her to do for her safety.

With regards to harboring, there is a possibility that you could be charged with it and it is typically considered a misdemeanor offense. That can depend on what state you’re in as well as the reasons why your friend would like to run away as well as the behavior of the particular police officers you are dealing with. In our experience, harboring charges are fairly rare and can be difficult to pursue, especially if the youth is close to 18. If you wanted to know for sure, it would be a good idea to call out to your local police non-emergency number and ask them as they would be able to tell you exactly what they would do. Additionally, we would be happy to call out on your behalf if you wanted that. If you are interested in that or in talking about your situation further, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
          NRS

So, I looked up the appropriate age to legally leave in Wisconsin. I have been considering running away due to some days being to hard to handle with my step-mom and my father. But, in one of their paragraphs it says "If you think you are ready to be an adult and be emancipated then contact a family attorney." Would my parents have to be involved in the process, or can it be private and my parents will find out about it from the attorney?

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. I’m sorry to hear that life at home has led you to want to run away, that sounds like a difficult situation to deal with.

In most situations, it is much easier to gain emancipation if the parents are involved. However, if you can prove you are able to support yourself and that you have a safe place to stay, there are exceptions. To learn more about the process of running away and gaining emancipation without your legal guardian’s permission, you can also call the National Center of Homeless Education Hotline at 1-800-308-2145. In general, it would be very unlikely that you could get emancipated from your parents without them knowing.

If you would like to discuss the reasons as to why you want to runaway or you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

Best Wishes
          ~NRS

15 almost 16. i want to leavehome.my parents are always atfriends or working and i just feel alone alot. they do try to spend time with me on their days off. but they also seem really exhausted all the time and i dont want to be alone. they do joke alot and sometimes ive asked them to stop joking the way they do but they say they can because theyre my parents. and im also scared of them. i dont nessecarily consider what they do abuse i just dont feel like they really want me most of the time. my friend does want to help- and wants me to live with him but i dont want to get anyone in trouble.

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We know it can be difficult to share the things you are dealing with. You are not alone, and we are always here to talk with you. You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. It may be helpful to have your friend's parents talk with your parents.The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Hello I'm a 17 year old girl and my mom kicked me out because I have an attitude. Is it legal for me to move in with my aunt who lives a few states away, without me being called in as a run away, considering I was kicked out and I've been staying in my sisters basement who is verbally abusive. I know my aunt can help take care of me. But is it legal for me to move to a different state?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
          We are not legal experts but we do have some information on what could happen. If you were kicked out you most likely can go live at your aunts house. Your legal guardian could try and change their mind and file a runaway report. If they were to do that and the police did find you, you could try and explain how you were kicked out. To find out the best answer you may want to consider calling your local police department and asking them what your options are.
          Again we thank you for reaching out to NRS, if you have any other questions or would like to explore options please call or chat with us. We wish you the best of luck!
          NRS

I am 17 in Wisconsin and I have a ten month old baby, I am financially ready to get the heck out of my house because it is not a good environment for my son with constant yelling/fighting as I know being around that when you are young can be a start of developing many anxiety disorders. I do not believe my grandma (legal guardian) will allow me to move out. But I have heard that some places you become responsible for yourself legally when you have a child underage and I am wondering if that could be a law in Wisconsin.

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. It sounds like things at home with your grandmother have been really tense and you considering leaving. You are a very caring mom to want a calmer and more emotionally healthy environment for your son.

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally on our knowledge of this. Wisconsin does not have a formal emancipation statute (process to become a legal adult before turning 1, but it does recognize emancipation in other forms including a minor who has previously given birth. Because you have given birth and are the legal guardian of a minor, it could mean you have some rights of a legal adult in order to care for your child but are still considered a minor yourself or it could mean that you are considered a full legal adult. We are not quite sure what applies to your circumstances unfortunately. But we can provide a referral to legal aid that can give you a more solid answer about your rights. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through our live chat services at 1800runaway.org for this resource and additional support.

Stay safe,
          NRS

I'm 16 years old and live in Wisconsin.... my dad has been yelling at me everyday and both my parents have been pretty strict my whole life. I've noticed that when I get a boyfriend they tend to try to ground me and stop me from going to see him. I'm with a guy that I really do love but they wont look at it that way. They get mad when I ask to go see him and it's just been one day a week. They say that as long as I'm under their roof they anything I buy is their's. I came home yesterday again to being yelled at for hours on end. All I did was go to see my boyfriend and my mom had dropped me off... I want to leave home but I dont want anyone getting in trouble because of me... I'd like to go stay with my grandparents but my parents would make it hard to do so... I've been told I'm emotionally abused and I didnt want to believe it until I started seeing the patterns of being yelled at and feeling like complete crap because I apparently "didnt" do what they wanted me to. I've been stuck at home for basically 6 months and I've really never gotten to go get a job or see friends often at all. The only thing they want me to do is chores and family. I've found myself crying for what seems like no reason and crying myself to sleep. I dont want to be hurt anymore but I dont know what I can do.

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

I know i cant leave/runaway home legally. But i've heard in some situations, the police will not go after/return runaway teens when they are near the age of 18. I will be 18 in 6 months in the city of Milwaukee Wisconsin. Will i be returned home? Im hoping the police will not bother returning me because i will turn 18 soon.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. I’m sorry to hear that life at home has led you to want to run away, that sounds like a difficult situation to deal with.

Having a place to stay to ensure that you are safe is very important. While we are not legal experts, running away is not considered illegal. However, since you are a minor, your guardians have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home unless you express to them that you live in an unsafe environment. If you left home and decided to stay with a friend, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. To learn more about the process of running away and your rights, you can also call the National Center of Homeless Education Hotline at 1-800-308-2145.

If you would like to discuss the reasons as to why you want to runaway or you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

Best Wishes
          ~NRS

I am 17 I can go to be 18 in July 8 if I live with my boyfriend how is 19 and I need help with about move out

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home, but you will not face any other legal consequences. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

The easiest way to leave home as minor is with permission from your legal guardian. We understand this can be a very difficult conversation to have. Maybe there is a family member or other trusted adult who can help you communicate how you are feeling to your parent/guardian. you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X