No announcement yet.

17 and wanting to run away

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 and wanting to run away

    i’m 17 and i can’t stand living at home anymore. i live in utah and i’m not sure what the laws and rules are about these kinds of situations. i don’t have anywhere to go and i don’t even have a way to pay for anything. my brother and his new wife (who hates teenagers) are moving into my family’s house in a few days when they get home from their honeymoon. i can’t stand being around them and i’m already struggling with school and bipolar disorder. my brother always tells me how worthless i am and how i just make everyone’s life harder. i don’t know if it’s emotional abuse or anything but i can’t take it anymore.its gotten to the point where i stay at school as long as i can just so that i don’t have to go home. i’ve run away from home at least three times before but i just keep being forced to come home. whenever i try to leave my dad just threatens to report my car stolen. i’d prefer to live with my aunt but i don’t want to put that burden on her and i wouldn’t have a way to get myself to and from school. i just need a solution and i have nowhere to turn. please help.

  • #2
    Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you are going through a really hard time and it is a great step to reach out. We can talk about a few things here and brainstorm some ideas, but we aren’t legal experts. If you want to talk further you are always welcome to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or utilize our online chat system as we are 24/7.
    Firstly, it seems like you are dealing with a lot at home and it is not okay for you to be treated that way by your brother. We are really sorry to hear that he treats you that way and you do not deserve that. In Utah, the age of adulthood is 18 years old which means if you are under that age, your parents/guardians are legally responsible for you and where you live. It sounds like you have a good support system from your aunt and she might be able to help you out. You can explore with her talking to your dad about having you live with her if she can advocate for you. If your dad does give you permission, you can live with her, but since you are still 17 he still can revoke that permission and have you return to live with him until you turn 18. You can always talk about this with your aunt and maybe think of ways to help ease your dad into thinking about it as well if you lay some rules (ie. you will finish school, try to find a job, pursue other education, pay for your car, etc.) These are things you can think about and bounce off of your aunt as well. If possible, you can also think about family counseling since your brother and his new wife are moving in which can certainly change family dynamics. You can talk about this with your dad too and see if that can help ease the transition too and help with the way your brother treats you.
    If you do want to explore filing an abuse report, we can talk about that. We aren’t here to define abuse, but you mentioned it might be emotional abuse from your brother and that is valid of course. If you want to explore making an abuse report or talking about Child Protective Services, Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource. They can answer any questions you have and help you look into reporting if that is something you want to pursue. We are also here too to talk about what it could mean to report, and since we are mandated reporters if you tell us identifying factors (your name, your brother’s name, your address, etc.) we would have to pass along what you told us to CPS, but if those factors aren’t told to us we can talk confidentially.
    It does sound like you have been dealing with this for a while as you said you left home three times now. You are very brave for talking about what has been going on as it sounds like a very hard situation. We appreciate you reaching out and you are always welcome to call or chat with us again as we are always here for you to go over these options and if those don’t work we can talk about other options as well. We wish you the best.
    Best, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif