No announcement yet.

I'm 17, female, and want to move out without parental permission

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 17, female, and want to move out without parental permission

    Hi, I am a 17 year old girl, wanting to move out without my parents' permission. I currently live in Louisiana.

    I will be moving in with my best friend and her family. They are middle class and all have steady jobs.

    The thing is, my mother doesn't approve of my moving out. Is there any way that I can leave without her permission?

    I've seen a lot of confusing answers for this, and many say emancipation, yet that involves either being in an abusive family or having one of my parent's permission. Neither apply to me.

    If someone would please help me with this, I'd be most appreciating.

    Thank you!

  • #2
    re: I'm 17, female, and want to move out without parental permission

    Hi there!

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you’re in a situation in which you’d like to leave home and we hope that we can help you through this the best we can.

    It sounds like you’ve done a lot of your own research regarding this already. What you’ve found regarding emancipation is more or less aligned with the information we have in our databases regarding it as well. Under our documents, youth located in Louisiana can fall under three separate circumstances in order for emancipation to become a possibility:
    1. “Parents are giving consent to the minor to become emancipated.”
    2. “In the second circumstance, a minor is automatically considered emancipated once married.”
    3. “In the third case a minor is declared emancipated by a judge. For emancipation a youth must be at least 16 years old. “
    We hope this has cleared up some kind of confusing regarding emancipation. It may be useful to know that make a case to be emancipated can be long and exhausting when requesting approval from a judge. Certain cases for self-suffiency are often needed and not all cases are approved.

    You can leave home without your permission, but in that case, your mom would have the right to make a runaway report. This is a status offense and means that you must return home upon being found by an officer or other legal authority figure. But this does not mean you would be charged with anything or arrested.

    Some other things to consider when leaving home are how you will be receiving food and money, how you will be able to transport yourself around, if you’ll be bringing a phone, etc.

    Other options youth sometimes consider to gain permission to leave home is thinking of people their parent’s may approve of. This can include distant relatives or family friends.

    We hope that some of this information helped answer some of the questions you had about leaving home. It’s always helpful to know that you do have options, and you are always welcome to call our hotline number at 1(800)RUNAWAY (786-2929) to explore those options, gain resources, or just to talk.

    Thank you and we hope you take care,

    The National Runaway Safeline
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Im a 17 year old female and im trying to move out without my moms permission. I was living in her house but when she got a new boyfriend she started staying with him. I ended up being at my house almost by myself for 6 months. They are now married and im living with them again. We keep getting into physical fights and i feel like its a toxic. I have a job that pays pretty good for my age. I have a couple friends that are looking for a roommate and i can afford the payments there. Kinda stuck on what to do at this point..


      • #4
        Reply: Im a 17 year old female and im trying to move out

        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

        We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
        We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        You are not responsible for others behavior. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18.
        We understand that might be challenging without her permission, however if there is abuse you have the right to file an abuse report with the police, a school counselor or child protective services.

        Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently.
        Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. A time like this is most difficult.
        You did a great job reaching out today.

        If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

        We hope to hear from you soon.

        Be safe,
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

        National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

        Tell us what you think about your experience!


        • #5
          Hi I'm 17 and I want to move out with out my parents say so I want to move with my boyfriend he's 18 I live in ok
          Last edited by ccsmod1; 08-17-2019, 12:28 AM.


          • ccsmod1
            ccsmod1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

            Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents. It should be noted that if the police were to find you at your boyfriends, he could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents fell about the situation.

            If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

            Stay safe,

        • #6
          Hello! I'm a 16 (gonna be 17 in July of this year) female, and I live at home with my mom and older brother and sister. I want to move out and live with my boyfriend and his family. But, I have seen you need permission from a judge to move out. I have worked before but not as an actual job. I was wondering if this could be possible at all without permission from a judge. Or from parents. Is this possible? Or do I have to wait.


          • ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello There,
            Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
            We are not legal experts but we do have some information. If you were to leave to live with your boyfriend without permission your parents could file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you home. What you are probably thinking of is emancipation which usually a judge would decide. Emancipation can take anywhere from a month to a year, you can call your local court house to learn more.
            If you would like to talk more about your situation or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!

        • #7
          Hi I am 15 years old and I'm November I'll be turning 16 my parents are mentally abusive and never can admit whenever there wrong they tear me down and treat me like a slave they buy me food and things I need but I can't live here no more I am getting depressed and hate it here I want to leave but I don't want to have to be emancipated since I'll have to prove I can do things on my own which I could but I have been offered to live with my boyfriend and his family since we've been together He is 17 and lives with his mamaw they have told me I can move in at any time and I'm always welcome I know how to cook wash clothes and take care of myself i do have 4 other sibling but they are not at all in my situation because I'm the only one with a long term relationship and being treated horribly is there anything I can do to get myself out of this home and into a one we're i am welcome and will be treated correctly? I truly need help and I don't wanna have to prove to a court that I can get a job and stuff because my boyfriends mamaw offered to help me with my needs which I don't necessarily need it I will be getting a job as soon as I can I do not want anything from my parents no money at all


          • ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It seem like you have been through a lot of verbal abuse at home and it’s starting to wear on you. Your parents shouldn’t treat you like a slave and constantly wear you down. It seems like you understand the limits of emancipation very well which is impressive. On top of that you have a place you have been offered that seems safe to go to.
            If you were to just leave right now though your parents could file a runaway report and police would be able to bring you back. Your boyfriends’ family would also be at risk of a harboring a runaway charge. That risk usually goes down if they don’t try to hide you from the police though. The only way you could go live with them legally is if you had parent permission to do so.
            If you haven’t already it may be worth looking into counseling or therapy for dealing with parents like yours. A school counselor could be a good first step in finding a resource like that. If they are responding to emails through the COVID stuff. Otherwise you can also reach out to our hotline or online chat and we can try to find one in your area.
            Hopefully this information is helpful in clearing up your options. We want you to know that we believe in you and we want to support you in any way we can. If you need to talk more, or have more questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

        • #8
          Hi I’m a 17 year old and my moms house is very verbally abusive and my dads house is okay but I’d like to move out on my own and start my life healthy. I live in Canada


          • ccsmod6
            ccsmod6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are living in an environment that is harmful to your mental health and it makes sense that you would like to try living on your own. Unfortunately, our services and information are tailored for the USA, so we may not have much to offer you. However, there is an organization just like us in Canada! It is called Kids Help Phone and they are reachable at as well as 1-800-668-6868.

            Take care,
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove