• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod6
    replied
    RE: I'm 18 my gf ask me to move with her in San Francisco

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are wanting to move in with your girlfriend at age 18. Moving out is a big step with a lot of responsibility. We are not legal experts here, but you stated that you are 18, which means you are now considered your own legal guardian. Most states set the age of majority at 18. This means you are allowed to leave home if you wish. Regarding your question about enrolling in school, it may be best to contact the school to find out what the registration process is like and what types of documentation you need to enroll in school if a parent or guardian will not be present. If you would like more information about enrolling in a different school without a parent/guardian or would like to talk more about your situation, please consider calling our crisis line at 1-800-786-2929. We are free, confidential, and 24/7.

We wish you the best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 18 my gf ask me to move with her in San Francisco

I'm 18 years old my girl want me to move with her at her place which she live in San Francisco & I live in LA, but my mom won't let's me go. Do I have the right to leave the house without her calling me the cops. & I still go to school -12 grade- does my mom need to be with me if I want to sign up for a different school????

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    replied
    Re: 18 but haven't graduated, can I leave home without consent

Hello and thanks for reaching out on our online forum. We’re very sorry to hear your mother is abusive. Please know you don’t deserve to experience any type of abuse regardless of your age and you do have the right to report it if you’d like to go that route. If so, we can help you through that process. If not we can try and help you come up with other options. As for your question about leaving before graduation that would probably be best answered by your local law enforcement which we can also look up for you if we know your city/state. If you’d like help reaching out to them we can help with that too if you decide to Live Chat or call. Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic 18 but haven't graduated, can I leave home without consent

18 but haven't graduated, can I leave home without consent

I turn 18 in April but don't graduate until may. My mother is abusive and I want to move out as soon as possible. Can I leave before I graduate?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X