No announcement yet.

18 but haven't graduated, can I leave home without consent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Once i’m 18 can i move out even if i’m still in high school?


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission even if you are in high school. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,

  • #92
    Im 18 and still in school but i hate my good for nothing brother is very mean to me even if im trying to help him and my parents dont let me be myself without making fun of me and they always expect big things from me and i cant take it anymore.i have even considered killing myself but i was always to scared to do it myself and i am wondering if i should just leave and find
    somewhere to live away from them and out of town


    • ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thank you for reaching out to the NRS!

      We're sorry to hear about your struggles at home. We hear you, you should not be treated that way at home by your brother or parents and you deserve to be somewhere that makes you feel wanted and safe.

      You mentioned that you are suicidal -- we take suicide very seriously here at the NRS. If you feel like you are suicidal and a danger to yourself, we highly advise you contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800)-273-8255 or call 911. Additionally, if you feel as though you're going through your mental health issues alone, a great resource is NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness. They have great support groups there with people going through similar issues at

      Regarding running away or at least getting away from your home, we hear you. It sounds like you’ve been in a very overwhelming environment with your brother and parents, and it’s understandable why you would want to get away from it all. That said, we still wanted to share some information with you on that matter. We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but because you are 18, you are no longer a minor and can freely move out if you so choose. That said, if you are committed to leaving, there are some other things to consider including where you would go, how you would get there, and how you would support yourself. We aren’t here to tell you what to do or what not to do, but we encourage you to continue fleshing out your feelings and plans with people you trust so you can make the most informed decision for yourself.

      If you have questions or just want to talk about your situation more with one of our representatives feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us at

  • #93
    Ok. I’m 18, still in school and living at home. Can I leave and go somewhere for a day without parental consent?


    • ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline, we are so glad that you did. While we are not legal experts, we do have a general understanding of some youth related laws. In relation to your question - the age of majority is defined as the age that a person is considered a legal adult, and this varies per State. In most states the age of majority is 18 years old; however, if you live in Nebraska, Mississippi or Alabama, the age of majority is older than 18 years old. With this background information provided, the simple answer is that if you are or, are older than, the age of majority for the state that you live in then you are considered a legal adult and can make your own decisions without parental consent, assuming that there are no other extenuating circumstances that would require you to have parental consent to leave.

      If it would be helpful to have a fuller conversation with us including more details about your situation, please reach out via chat through our website ( or on our phone hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to talk this through. We are here to help 24/7 and we hope to hear from you soon!

      Good luck!

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif