No announcement yet.

18 but haven't graduated, can I leave home without consent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm adopted, I'm 17. When I turn 18 can I just leave and move to Florida with my real dad, and as if right now I'm still in school for another two years. Can I just leave

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. If you are in a state where the legal age of majority is 18 (all states except Mississippi, Alabama, and Nebraska), you should be considered a legal adult at 18 meaning that you have the right to choose where you live. There are situations where the parents of those who are differently abled may have extended custody over a youth past the age of majority, but otherwise, you should be fine to move out lawfully, regardless of whether or not you are in school.

If you want to share more about your situation or discuss what other options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-880-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

I'm 16 and will be 18 in a year and a half from today. I've been living with serious migraines and my parents haven't taken into consideration that it makes me sick when I hear them and my 2 younger siblings scream and fight. I want to move out on my 18th birthday but my mom argues with me saying that I cant if I haven't graduated yet. Is it illegal for me to move out before i graduate until that time?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It must be incredibly difficult to live with the pain of migraines in an environment that seems to have many triggers for it. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that unless you are in NE, MS, or AL, you are allowed to live where you decide once you turn 18. Whether or not you have graduated should not make any difference to that.

If you have more questions about your situation or if you would like to talk things through with someone, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

I am 18 years old but I’ve been in dfacs since I was 2 are you allowed to move out at 18 even tho you graduate in 2021? My grandma says you have to go to the judge and let them approve on where you live even though your 18 and a legal adult?

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not legal experts here at NRS so you might consider speaking with a case manager about your options to leave legally.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
      NRS

My child is 18 with severe mental health issues and left the house to live with bio dad who the court determined years ago is unsafe to be around children and has all his parental rights and visitation stopped. Father has a current history of drug abuse and domestic violence.. The police have stated that regardless of her mental health and safety issues since she is 18 its considered her choice. Will I get truancy fines if she doesn't go to school for her senior year and she is not in my home? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with youths in crisis. Unfortunately, we do not know for certain whether or not your situation would incur truancy fines. As we understand it, she is an adult and you should not be compelled to force her to go to school if she does not go. Truancy tends to relate mostly to minors who are not in school. A good idea might be reaching out to your state’s DCFS/CPS agency or even your child’s school administration as they would most likely know more precisely whether or not truancy fines would be a risk.

If you have any other questions or would like to discuss anything else, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

I’m 18 years old and still in high school. I want to work but cant because my mom says it will interfere with school. My mom keeps telling me even though I’m in high school she still has control over me. All I want to do is work. So what can I do at this point?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS,
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Generally, once you are 18 you can make the decision to stay in school or not but finishing your last year or so of high school or getting a GED can be beneficial later in life and help you earn more throughout your life. But as an adult that decision is up to you.
      Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave.
      There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
      Good Luck,
      NRS.

I'm 18 and live in Georgia my dad and stepmom have said that I will not be legally allowed to move out because I haven't graduated yet. Can I move out?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. The age of majority in Georgia is 18 which means you are considered a legal adult. Even if you have not yet graduated from high school you are still an adult with the legal freedom to choose where you live. If you are still having some concerns about this, you can call the non-emergency line for your local police department to ask if they would force you back in the event you left home.

If you have any more questions or would like to talk more about the situation, please do not hesitate to reach out. We are available for immediate support by phone 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat 1800runaway.org.

Good luck,
      NRS

Hey I’m 18, and I plan on moving out without my parents consent, and I haven’t graduated, am I allowed to move somewhere else and enroll myself back into another school

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X