No announcement yet.

18 but haven't graduated, can I leave home without consent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm adopted, I'm 17. When I turn 18 can I just leave and move to Florida with my real dad, and as if right now I'm still in school for another two years. Can I just leave

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. If you are in a state where the legal age of majority is 18 (all states except Mississippi, Alabama, and Nebraska), you should be considered a legal adult at 18 meaning that you have the right to choose where you live. There are situations where the parents of those who are differently abled may have extended custody over a youth past the age of majority, but otherwise, you should be fine to move out lawfully, regardless of whether or not you are in school.

If you want to share more about your situation or discuss what other options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-880-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

I'm 16 and will be 18 in a year and a half from today. I've been living with serious migraines and my parents haven't taken into consideration that it makes me sick when I hear them and my 2 younger siblings scream and fight. I want to move out on my 18th birthday but my mom argues with me saying that I cant if I haven't graduated yet. Is it illegal for me to move out before i graduate until that time?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It must be incredibly difficult to live with the pain of migraines in an environment that seems to have many triggers for it. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that unless you are in NE, MS, or AL, you are allowed to live where you decide once you turn 18. Whether or not you have graduated should not make any difference to that.

If you have more questions about your situation or if you would like to talk things through with someone, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X