No announcement yet.

18 but haven't graduated, can I leave home without consent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 17 I'll be 18 in nine months my mother had emergency custody of me after my dad kicked me out. She's abusive as well but I had no choice but to live with her. My boyfriend moved in with us and she claims he drained her of all her money when he had his own job and such. She sold the house she was leaving me an him at while she was a caregiver to an also abusive veteran. Who talks horribly about me and my boyfriend my mom goes back and forth between saying she's just gonna give me money and let me be and saying that she's gonna take me out of the fast paced school she put me in 5 months and unrolling me in the 1st place I'm already behind in school and I can't be with her I can't. I have to focus on me and my future and she tells me I dont love her and I'm horrible for not taking care of her and wanting to live with my brother, she has texted me basically abandoning me but also says I have to do exactly as she says until I'm 18 I'm Currently not living with her at all. I just want to be left alone to live my life with people who care and are supportive, maybe I'm wrong but I just I can't she tells me I'll never be anything but I feel like I'll never be anything if she's in my life cause she's so dependent on me to drop everything and just take care of her.im supposed to be a senior she enrolled me before finals so I have to now retake my second semester of junior year again becuase of her an now she's threating to unentoll me and god knows how long itll take for her to even take me back to school.

I feel stuck I dont know what to do
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 11-05-2019, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry that it sounds like you are dealing with an incredible amount of stress and pain stemming from your living situation and the way your mom is behaving. It’s not your burden to take care of your mother, and even if it is, she should not be treating you in such a hurtful and excessive manner.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is not illegal to run away. Your parent/guardian could file a runaway report on you but this would NOT mean that you would get arrested or charged with anything. It typically does mean that the police could return you home if they encountered you and that would be that. Police typically do not actively search for a runaway youth. However, they will go where the parent/guardian directs them if they know where you are staying. Additionally, police can sometimes be more lenient about runaway situations the closer you are to 18. You can attempt to calmly and respectfully deny them consent to touch you or take you anywhere, and they may give up on trying to return you home. They also may not, in which case you should comply with what they tell you to do for your safety.

Additionally, your right to an education is protected by the McKinney Vento Act. If you are a runaway or are homeless, you can visit https://nche.ed.gov/ and look up how to get in contact with your local homeless education liaison. They can help you enroll in school as a runaway if your mom is trying to interfere with your education.

If you have any other questions about your situation or want to talk more about what’s going on and what other options there might be, please don’t hesitate to reach out on or 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

Hey I'm 18 can I move while still in school? Without cops involved?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. While we are not legal experts here at NRS, you are most likely considered a legal adult at 18 (unless you live in Mississippi, Nebraska, or Alabama). If you leave home, you would not be considered a runaway. This means that you have the legal freedom to choose where you live even if you are still in school.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any other questions or you would like to talk more about your situation, please do not hesitate to reach out by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Good luck,
      NRS

I’m 17 and turn 18 in six months. I’m from Philadelphia, pa. I don’t graduate until I’m 19 and my mom is saying I won’t be able to leave her house until I graduate, is that true?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a stressful situation and you are wanting to move out when you are 18 rather than wait until you are 19 and finished with school. We are not legal experts, but we can answer your question generally.

At 18 in PA, you are considered a legal adult and you can make your own life decisions like where you live regardless of whether or not you have completed school. Your mom cannot report you as a runaway once you are 18. One thing to consider when moving out, is that your mom does not have to support you or allow you back into the house. So you might plan for how you are going to support yourself long term and where you are going to live. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation and help with brainstorming your options. We are always here for you.

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

Best,

NRS

I want to run away from my house when i turn 18 but only for a few weeks to ho on a road trip. I am pretty sure my parents wouldnt let me go if i asked them so i just wanna write a note sayin iam gonna be back in a few weeks n leave. Would i get in trouble for doin that?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws. It seem as though you are looking to leave home and wanted to see if you could get into trouble. From what we know about your story it would be once you are 18 yrs old. It would be fine legally that you left as you are considered an adult but as far as getting in trouble with your parents that might be a real thing. Perhaps considering the outcome of leaving without getting permission from your parents. It might lead to them kicking you out or an argument about why you left. If you would like to keep talking please feel free to. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I’m 21 years old and I live my parents just out of high school at 20 years old and I want to move out and try to get a car. Would it be a better idea to stay at my parents house and suffer from my dad and older siblings making fun of me for still living at home and keep up paying my parents rent for my own room or should I just try and live on my own.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to NRS. From what you shared, you are not happy with your current living situation, but leaving is also a difficult decision to make. A lot of young people come to this crossroads and are uncertain of what choice might be best for them. You deserve to feel comfortable and at ease where you live. Even though home sounds like it is pretty stressful for you, it is understandable that the idea of taking such a huge step as to move out on your own would come with some hesitancy. Leaving home can be a scary decision to make, but you know better than anyone what the right choice for you in this situation.

There are some things that you can take into consideration while deciding on your next steps: if you do leave where will you live; how will you afford to pay for rent, basic necessities, medical emergencies; do you feel like you have the emotional support you might need while transitioning into this next part of your life; what are the pros and cons of leaving home. Thinking on these might be helpful in coming up with a plan and determining when you are ready to leave. If you decide that leaving is the best choice for you but you still think you need more support, there are programs called transitional living programs. These are long-term housing programs that help young people work toward the goal of living independently and they can help with things such as learning life skills, employment, and education. These programs can be far and few between depending on the area, but we are happy to do a search for them in your area and talk more about this as an option with you.

If you would like to talk more in-depth about your concerns or you would like to be connected to local resources, please do not hesitate to reach out anytime. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Good luck,
      NRS

If I am 18 and I want to move in with my mom but my dad says I can't; do I need his permission to just leave and if not can the cops force me to go back to his house? I live in Michigan and I am not happy living with my dad but he won't let me leave because he always threatens to have the police find me if I leave, can he do that?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like your dad has been making things quite stressful by threatening you. You deserve to feel at ease and safe where you are living. The good news is that at 18 you are most likely considered a legal adult. This means that you have the legal freedom to choose where you live. Even if your dad attempts to call the police, you will not be forced home since you are an adult.

From what you shared, it sounds like your dad will make it quite difficult to leave his house. It might be helpful to come up with a plan for leaving so that you can stay safe and make sure you have any important belongings with you. We are here 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible while you take these next steps to live with your mom. You can reach out anytime by phone (1-800-786-2929) or chat at www.1800runaway.org.

Be safe and good luck!
      NRS

Am I allowed to move out of my parents house before I turn 18? I live in Pennsylvania.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. As far as we know, you cannot officially move out of your parents’ house before you are 18. If you do leave home, your parents can file a runaway report on you with the police. This does not mean that you are in trouble or that you will get arrested. It just means that if you encounter the police, they can notify your parents and return you back home.

If you want to talk more about your situation, we might be able to provide you with some more precise information about what your options are. Please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

Hi, I’m currently 17 and a junior in High School I turn 18 2 weeks into my senior year of high school. I live in Wisconsin where you can not be considered a legal adult at 18 if you are in high school. If I moved out my senior year without my parents consent but still attended the same high school is that legal? Or can my parents press charges or something on me and the people I’m staying with? My parents are heavily abusive and emancipation is out of the question due to the cost of a good lawyer to beat them. I have a stable job where I make $17.25 an hour and can then apply for health insurance through my job. Can I legally move out because of these laws or not?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great question, though we are very sorry to hear about the abuse taking place at home. We can tell you what we know about the laws about the age of majority in Wisconsin, but keep in mind that we are not legal experts. Our understanding is that once you turn 18 in Wisconsin you are automatically considered emancipated and there doesn't seem to be any legal reason why your parents could compel you to stay at home, even if you haven't completed high school yet. Sometimes it's a bit confusing because the law states that a parent cannot kick out a youth that is 18 as long as they are making progress towards completing high school. But your situation is different in that it sounds like you would be choosing to leave. But again, if you'd like to be sure you can always talk to a guidance counselor at your school about your plan. Or you could even call the local police non-emergency number and ask them.

We'd like to take this opportunity to mention that you do still have the right to file an abuse report on your parents. Whether you do or not is up to you, but it is an option. Here is a link where you can find your county's abuse reporting hotline in Wisconsin: https://dcf.wisconsin.gov/reportabuse. Or you can give us a call and we can file a report on your behalf if you choose. You can also contact the National Child abuse Hotline at www.childhelp.org or call 1-800-422-4453.

If you ever want to talk about what's going on or need help in finding resources please give us a call anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are confidential and are here to listen and help! Please stay safe!
      Last edited by ccsmod15; 01-18-2020, 09:10 PM.

Hi, I’ll turn 18 next month and I want to move out. I tried holding out as long as I can but can’t anymore. I barely have any income nor a place to stay. Pleaseee help me I really can’t live here anymore. I wanted to know if there are any advice or resources that can help me. I really don’t know what to do

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS we appreciate you contacting us. We understand you are going through a really rough time and are looking for information to help you out. From what we know, though we are not legal experts, you can leave once you turn 18 as you becomes a legal adult. If you fear your parents/guardians are going to be aggressive or violent towards you, you can call the police and they can help move you out so that you do not feel threatened. If you are looking for places to stay NRS has the ability to offer shelters and Transitional Living Programs through our chat and call center options. If you wish to get those types of resources please do not hesitate to reach out and we will happy assist you. Unfortunately we can’t send any information about places near you as we do not have enough information to send something to best help. We hope you reach out soon!
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Im currently 17 but live in an emotionally abusive, stressful, and controlling house hold in Austin Texas, i dont turn 18 till October 13th, when i do turn 18 am i legally allowed to move in with a friend and their family without my birth mothers consent and without her pressing charges on that family.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Generally, you can leave your home when you turn 18 without any legal consequences. You may no longer be able to rely on your family for financial or emotional support depending on your situation though. You can always double check with your local nonemergency police number to make sure you are good to go. If you are experiencing abuse in your home, there is an organization called Childhelp that can talk with you about abuse reporting and the legal ramifications of such. Their number is 18004224453. You can also reach out directly to us through our chat or our phone number.

Best of luck,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

I turn 18 on April 6th but do not graduate until May 20th. I’m in Arizona and I want to move out on my 18th birthday but my mom is telling me that legally I can’t move out without her permission until I graduate high school because she is still responsible for me. Is this true or can I move out on my 18th birthday?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but once you turn 18 you are considered a legal adult in AZ and can live where you please. Your educational status should not affect this whatsoever.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
      NRS

I´m 16 and i live in Arizona I have been wanting to move out of my house and get my own place or bunking with a friend to finish my senor year of high school. are my parent able to call the cops to bring me back home?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out and share a bit about your situation. It was really responsible of you to seek out more information about your circumstances.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home.

Because you are minor, you are not able to legally enter into contracts. This means you would most likely not be able to rent an apartment or live in your own space without the help of a parent/legal guardian. The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with your parents’ permission. In this case, they would be allowing you to live somewhere else where you are safe and being cared for. A helpful step is to start reaching out to friends and family members you might be able to stay with. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents. Perhaps an adult family member, a friend's parent or a counselor at school can talk to your parents with you about your experience at home and the possibility of you leaving.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
      NRS

I am 18 and still go to school. I live in NE. If I move out, and the police is contacted, what can happen?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Generally, the legal age you can leave your home is 18. If you are in fact 18, there should be no legal consequences to leaving. We are not legal experts, but you can contact your local nonemergency police number to find out the laws in your area. . If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Best of luck,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X