Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping 19 year old run away

My friend is in an abusive situation in her home life with her mother. We are both 19 and she wants me to pick her up while her mom is out, so that she can pack, and then drive her somewhere for her boyfriend to get here and drive her a few hours out to his place. I have texts saying that she wants to leave, and that she can't do it while her mom is home because there will be abuse, and she is leaving a note for her mom as well. Is there any way that this could come back on me and I can get in trouble with the police? I assume not, because she is an adult, but I'd like to make sure.

Hi, there,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re doing all you can to protect your friend, while also looking out for yourself. They are lucky to have you and we will try to help in whatever way that we can.
    We are not legal experts, but if they are a minor, if a runaway report is filed after your friend leaves there is a chance that if she is found, she would be returned home. It’s not illegal to runaway, but would be considered a status offense. If a runaway report was filed and they found out she was staying with you, there is a chance they would consider that harboring a runaway, which could result in legal consequences. If you have any questions on determining her age of minority in your state, feel free to check out Sex Etc - https://sexetc.org/action-center/sex-in-the-states/
    If they are considered an adult legally in your state, it’s not likely that any legal implications will take place. As an adult they can make whatever choices they need to unless for whatever reason they are in the custody of the state. You could consider looking up your local nonemergency number to talk hypothetically about your situation if you think that would be helpful as well.
    It sounds like in general she’s experiencing abuse at home, which is never okay. If she’d like to report the abuse, Child Help can be a helpful resource to discuss options for reporting or how to prove potential abuse. www.childhelp.org 1-800-422-4453. As an adult, sometimes a case won’t be opened, but the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network provides support for people who have experienced abuse as well. They can be reached at 1-800-656-4673 or at www.rainn.org
    Your friend is lucky to have you in their life and if they’d like any additional support feel free to reach out to us. We are toll free and available 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.
    Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X