Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i want to run away

my mom isnt abusing me but i want to run away. (i have suicidal thoughts and ive been told that instead of ending it all i should "start over") im 12. I'm wondering what will happen to my mom if i run away

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It’s very brave of you to share how you’re feeling at home- you’re doing the right thing by asking for help.

First off, suicidal thoughts are taken very seriously. If you’re thinking about taking your own life, there are many resources available to you – first and foremost, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. They’re available 24/7 at 1-800-273-8255. On the other hand, school counselors, close friends and family members, and even teachers and other trusted adults could provide helpful advice or just a listening ear. Healthy coping mechanisms can be invaluable too. Exercise, sleep, music, drawing, or writing can help bring the mind some ease, especially during particularly difficult times. You’re not alone.

Feeling like you want to run away is totally normal and even if your mom isn’t abusing you it’s totally understandable that you think about leaving. If you decided to leave home, your Mom would have the option to file a runaway report, which begins the process from a law enforcement standpoint. In this case, if you had any interaction with police, you could expect to be returned home. While we are not legal experts, generally your Mom would not face legal action if your running away did not provide evidence of neglect, abuse, or other mistreatment at home. On the other hand, if your Mom did not file a runaway report upon your leaving, she could be liable for negligence. Running away from home can sometimes introduce more challenges in the lives of youths and having second options and plans can be really valuable. If you’d like to talk about your options and what’s going on, we’re always here for you. Don’t hesitate to give us a call any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We wish you all and only the best.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X